No Sleep Button On Power Options

SPS828

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
On my Windows 8.1, if i click on the power button on the start screen, there is no sleep button. There's just "Shutdown" and "Restart". Ive gone into Power Options like other people said but theres no sleep option there too.

I've also restored to factory settings and the sleep button was there for a few minuets but is now gone. I'm on a Surface Pro 3

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
If you have Hyper-V enabled (through Visual Studio, SQL Studio, or other means) then the SP3 won't let you select the sleep mode as an option. You can disable Hyper-V through an elevated (read: Run as Admin) command prompt/PowerShell window with the following command: bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

To restore it just use this command: bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto

Note that these commands require a reboot after you run them. You can see what current power options are available at the command prompt using powercfg /a

SPS828

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
If you have Hyper-V enabled (through Visual Studio, SQL Studio, or other means) then the SP3 won't let you select the sleep mode as an option. You can disable Hyper-V through an elevated (read: Run as Admin) command prompt/PowerShell window with the following command: bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

Note that these commands require a reboot after you run them. You can see what current power options are available at the command prompt using powercfg /a

Thanks I'm going to try it because I do have Visual Studio installed.

SPS828

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site

Thanks again because it worked! I was almost ready to take it to Microsoft.

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
No problems! I had the same issue with mine :)

This blog outlined the issue for me: http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devices/surface-pro-3-tip-hyper-v-vs-connected-standby
but I came across another post that was interesting - since I need Hyper-V to do WP Development work, disabling and re-enabling was going to be a pain in the rear. This page outlined how to setup a new boot menu entry with (or without) Hyper-V: Switch easily between VirtualBox and Hyper-V with a BCDEdit boot Entry in Windows 8.1 - Scott Hanselman

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077