On my Windows 8.1, if i click on the power button on the start screen, there is no sleep button. There's just "Shutdown" and "Restart". Ive gone into Power Options like other people said but theres no sleep option there too.

I've also restored to factory settings and the sleep button was there for a few minuets but is now gone. I'm on a Surface Pro 3

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

06-24-2014 11:30 PM
    Please see the following link: Power plans: frequently asked questions - Windows Help.

This should help you create a new power plan or edit an existing power plan.
    06-24-2014 11:59 PM
    Please see the following link: Power plans: frequently asked questions - Windows Help.

This should help you create a new power plan or edit an existing power plan.

I created a new power plan but still no sleep options.

06-25-2014 12:08 AM
    Do an alternative otherwise. Press Fn + f4 button. May not work on surface
    06-25-2014 12:43 AM
    Do an alternative otherwise. Press Fn + f4 button. May not work on surface

ZI tried Fn F4 but that still didn't work
    06-25-2014 12:51 AM
    What about alt + f4?
    06-25-2014 05:02 AM
    What about alt + f4?
    I tried Alt + Fn + F4 but still no option for sleep. It seems like everything in Windows 8.1 that is related to sleep mode has disappeared.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    06-25-2014 12:27 PM
    If you have Hyper-V enabled (through Visual Studio, SQL Studio, or other means) then the SP3 won't let you select the sleep mode as an option. You can disable Hyper-V through an elevated (read: Run as Admin) command prompt/PowerShell window with the following command: bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

To restore it just use this command: bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto

Note that these commands require a reboot after you run them. You can see what current power options are available at the command prompt using powercfg /a
    SPS828 and gedzum like this.
    06-25-2014 12:37 PM
    If you have Hyper-V enabled (through Visual Studio, SQL Studio, or other means) then the SP3 won't let you select the sleep mode as an option. You can disable Hyper-V through an elevated (read: Run as Admin) command prompt/PowerShell window with the following command: bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

Note that these commands require a reboot after you run them. You can see what current power options are available at the command prompt using powercfg /a

Thanks I'm going to try it because I do have Visual Studio installed.
    06-25-2014 09:15 PM

Thanks again because it worked! I was almost ready to take it to Microsoft.
    06-25-2014 09:19 PM
    No problems! I had the same issue with mine :)

This blog outlined the issue for me: http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devic...nected-standby
    but I came across another post that was interesting - since I need Hyper-V to do WP Development work, disabling and re-enabling was going to be a pain in the rear. This page outlined how to setup a new boot menu entry with (or without) Hyper-V: Switch easily between VirtualBox and Hyper-V with a BCDEdit boot Entry in Windows 8.1 - Scott Hanselman
    06-26-2014 12:48 PM