Windows 8 hate

Sax_Derp

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Can someone logically explain why 8 & 8.1 are not suitable for mouse and keyboard users, and for business use? I may install 8.1 soon and I'd like to know if it's media bull or if you actually have a significant impact on your work flow after you beat the learning curve.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Mobile Nations mobile app

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Everything is moving to a Touch environment. That's just where the future is heading and the Metro Interface is poised to leverage that. I have a Non-Touch Laptop and will say that 8.1 was a significant improvement over 8 in terms of traditional Keyboard/Mouse interaction. You can pretty much ignore the Metro components in large part. The UX is closer to 7 on 8.1 and you should definitely update to that.

I did recently get a Windows 8.1 Tablet and can clearly appreciate Metro from a touch device. Using Windows Phone taught me that. :angel: My next Laptop or PC will have Touch for sure.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Even though Windows 8.x is designed and optimized for touch, it's perfectly usable with mouse and keyboard. No problem at all.

Tansen

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I have a Lenovo Yoga (first model) and I had alternated between using it laptop mode and hooking it up to an external monitor, having a wireless keyboard and mouse also hooked up. It was, at that point, effectively a non touch-screen desktop. Having said that, I was quickly able to figure out the concept of "smart corners" (move the mouse to the top right for charms menu and time display, move to top left for last or recent apps). Having done that, "keyboard mouse" mode was, at least for me, a very good upgrade from the days of windows 7. Ultimately its your preference, but WAY too many people hate on windows 8 and 8.1 for not very good reasons. Even if you don't like metro interface, just make it start on desktop and you'll never have to use metro really.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not media bull, its random commenter bull.

I was reluctant, but then my school offered it for free.
I use it on a non-touchscreen laptop. Negative workflow effect? Zero.

It's literally Windows 7, except faster, and has a start screen instead of a menu. Is it bad? No. It's just a bigger start menu.
Don't like the touchscreen parts? don't use it.
Literally one program, and voila, its just like Windows 7, except with more polish.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I think it is definitely harder to use without a touchpad or a touchscreen.

Basic things like opening up a charms bar, switching open apps with left swipe, and opening options with downward swipe on touchpad are all basic functions I use on my Windows 8 laptop everyday.

However, there are seperate touchpad mouse accessories available for Windows 8 desktops too right?

All in all, Windows 8.1 is a huge upgrade over Windows 7, and I am glad I bought the Windows 8.1 for $70 with university discount.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Using it via mouse works just fine. Zero productivity issues. With Windows 8.1 update was designed with mouse and keyboard in mind. I mostly use the mouse and keyboard on my SP1 or SP3. You loose zero function by using the mouse. It is windows 7 only better.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I have to say that I do notice greater ease around 8.1 on my surface then 8.0 on my laptop. But I think the next update for windows should merge mouse/keyboards with laptops/pcs for an easier ui. I absolutely love 8.1 on my surface. They were made for each other! ♡ Lol

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The one thing I want is to merge windows 8 start screen and the desktop. Basically bring the task bar to the windows 8 start screen

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
All I know is that when Apple introduces the "Snapping" feature on the iPad (Which they've announced they will) the media will say that they're changing the world with innovation again!

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I use it on a non-touch laptop. No problem. Having the touchpad actually allows me to use all the swiping features like bringing up the charms bar and switching between apps, but I ended up disabling that just because my touchpad is so large I would swipe too often. Turned off, it's still absolutely usable. I was just telling somebody the other day that I didn't know what the fuss was all about. It's better than a start menu because everything is bigger and customizable.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion, it's bull. I have a Surface Pro with 8.1 that I use with touch and I have a PC with 8.1 that I use with mouse. As you speculated, after a short learning curve either is a pleasure.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, it's bull. I have a Surface Pro with 8.1 that I use with touch and I have a PC with 8.1 that I use with mouse. As you speculated, after a short learning curve either is a pleasure.

Exactemundo. People have always been like that. I remember all the complaining after XP was released, which was the largest evolution of Windows after going from Windows 3.11 to Windows 95. Then the very same happened when MS published Vista (okay, it really sucked. Not as much as Windows ME did, but nevertheless, lol). These things will never change. People get accustomed to something they use through the years and get confused when something changes.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Can someone logically explain why 8 & 8.1 are not suitable for mouse and keyboard users, and for business use? I may install 8.1 soon and I'd like to know if it's media bull or if you actually have a significant impact on your work flow after you beat the learning curve.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Mobile Nations mobile app

My laptop runs fine on Windows 8.1, and take note: I use mapping softwares which had compatibility issues before (and feared that they still do) but they run fast on my laptop.

The general bulls**t comments are based on:

1. incompatibility issues (search for such issues related to the programs you usually use) but it seems like they were already fixed. A number of things which I feared to have compatibility issues (but have none, in reality) are the ff.:
a. Global Mapper (mapping software)
b. Surpac (for mine planning and modeling)
c. Games for Windows Live (such an old unsupported program but runs perfectly fine)
d. Razer Naga Hex (my gaming mouse, actually, because even peripherals were reported to have compatibility issues when 8.1 was first released)

2. lack of familiarity to do stuff the NEW way (such as partitioning storage) since they are very different compared to how you do them on Windows 7 or XP. Any problems you encounter could be solved by the Internet via Bing or Google (pick your poison).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos