Latest xbox video and music updates cause the apps to crash

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi, it seems hard right now to get into touch with microsoft, but I want to give out a warning that the latest update for xbox video and music for windows 8.1, released dd. 08-09 january 2015 causes the app to crash. Ever since the update. The app starts, but then immediately crashes, renderingen the app totally unusable. This is on windows 8.1 running on my surface pro first generation. Before the update both apps worked perfect and with no issues. I don't know how to solve this issue. I have not heard anyone else, but I think because the difference before and after the update is so striking the best thing I can do is warn everybody. I'm trying to get through to microsoft but all the layers of contact information to get to the right person is proving difficult.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Both apps are working perfectly fine for me. Sounds like the update process messed up the app. Try and uninstall both apps and reinstall them again.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I tried reinstalling both. The issue persists.
It reminds me of similar issue back in the day when spotify for windows phone updates kept causing the app to crash.
What I see happening is the splashscreen first, which shows longer than expected, then for a second or two I see the UI of music or video and then boom, the app closes. I tried trying to access the settings menu through the charms bar while the app is starting up, but the app closes too quickly.

I have a feeling it has to do with the latest update. I have not had this issue ever before with the xbox video and music app. Other apps are working just fine.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I tried reinstalling both. The issue persists.
It reminds me of similar issue back in the day when spotify for windows phone updates kept causing the app to crash.
What I see happening is the splashscreen first, which shows longer than expected, then for a second or two I see the UI of music or video and then boom, the app closes. I tried trying to access the settings menu through the charms bar while the app is starting up, but the app closes too quickly.

I have a feeling it has to do with the latest update. I have not had this issue ever before with the xbox video and music app. Other apps are working just fine.

Makes me wonder why both apps are still working perfectly fine on my end. I'm on the latest versions as well.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Good question. Their still not working on my surface pro. It is a quite a handicap. I read at least one other user that had a similar issue. I'm still hoping for a fix/solution.I read something about install packet issues somewhere with the latest update for the apps.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, got a bunch of updates today. An update for xbox music and video. When I tried to install them, the apps stayed stuck in downloading, even remained like that after a restart of the surface. Next I noticed that my windows 8 installed a critical update 15/1/2015. After that update and an auto restart, I checked the store. The update page was empty. I concluded the update worked. Next I checked xbox music and video again. They work!

I'm still not sure if the updates had a causal relationship with the critical bug I had with xbox music and video, but the issue seems solved. They work again. I guess I would like to that microsoft for listening and everybody's help for their solutions to this problem. Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon