Powerline adapters

humanhowever

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey All!

Hope you're well. I had a networking question which I was hoping you could help me with.

We have a wireless router in the house, but due to it's location and the location of our incoming connection for the modem the signal isn't great around the house. I was thinking of buying some powerline adapters to help with the issue. I wanted to ask for your advice as to whether I should purchase the 200mbs or the 500mbs ones. I would prefer to get the 200mbs ones, as it is cheaper, but could you advise me on the following points:

- Internet speed connected when PC is directly to the router is ~35mbs. Would this be maintained?
- Though we don't usually stream videos over the network, if I were to say for instance stream a 1080p HD file would this be able to handle it?
- Can I plug a printer directly into one of these and would it work on the network (if installed as such?)

So would I be able to do ^ with the 200mbs one?

Thanks!

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
If your pc is connected with a cable it will not influenced so it stay's 35 mbs.
(but if more devices are connected and used on the same time the "speed" will be shared between the devices).
If your speed is 35 on your computer than I assume that your internet subscription is 35-50 so the power adopter of 200 is more than enough. (actual 200 mean 100 up an 100 down but 100 is still more than the 35 you maximal get).
If your power adopter has a connector than you can connect it with a cable to the printer and if your printer had WiFi it also can connect to the power adopter. In both cases the printer is connected to the network.

And about the streaming of video you "only" need a think about 5-8 mbs to do it.

But also be aware that WiFi always "slower" than a cable connection.
So if your pc on cable is 35 than the speed will be lower is you would connect it via WiFi.

So the 200 is good enough but buy a good brand because "quality" has it's price. So check some reviews before you buy it.

Last edited:

RichardBurt

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
OP, the one you listed is *only* ?16. For that price don't expect good results. Frankly, if you are looking at paying ?16 then you need to stop being so mean!

As Harrie-S points out, these are *not* wireless. They are designed to extend wired networks only.

Spend a but more, get to your nearest PC World or Maplin and buy something better.

This is what you need: D-Link W307AV PowerLine Homeplug AV Wireless N Starter Kit review - PC Advisor

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
humanpower didn't bring up the issue of WiFi extenders, that seems to have been assumed by Harrie-S.

The original price for the dlink ones are ?25 (they're on sale for ?16), so we can't really make a judgement based on price for these units.

So, the limiting factor here for the internet is the broadband speed (wireless speed is irrelevant). These units will be fine for that and should cope with streaming - obviously if more than one person in the house is streaming different content, there will be problems.

My advise would be to buy the d-links and see how they work out for you. If you get stuttering, consider going for a higher speed. Distance selling regulations means you can return goods if they're not fit for purpose.

Yes, the printer will work fine if it's connected via ethernet cable - just the same as any network-connected printer.

humanhowever

May 26, 2014
Visit site
D-link is a good brand. But these are not wireless. With these you have to use a cable. So you can not boost your WiFi signal. If that's no problem (no wifi needed) then it is okay otherwise you have to buy a different type.

See also below review.
15 best Powerline adapters 2015 UK - PC Advisor

Hey!

Thanks for your reply. I know they're not wireless. I have an old router and was thinking of using that an access point. And yes, I've set one to work before fine.

humanhowever

May 26, 2014
Visit site
OP, the one you listed is *only* ?16. For that price don't expect good results. Frankly, if you are looking at paying ?16 then you need to stop being so mean!

As Harrie-S points out, these are *not* wireless. They are designed to extend wired networks only.

Spend a but more, get to your nearest PC World or Maplin and buy something better.

This is what you need: D-Link W307AV PowerLine Homeplug AV Wireless N Starter Kit review - PC Advisor

Hey! Thanks for your reply and also the links you provided.
The question wasn't really the price as such. I was only getting these ones as the 200mbs speed seemed sufficient for my needs. If it didn't I would've purchased something more expensive with speeds of upto 500mbs.

Once again, I wasn't really looking for wifi functionality from them. I just wanted to use these to connect and old router to use as an access point as a means to boost my signal.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I was not totally sure so that's why the reply about the "no wifi".
Beter safe than sorry.
Anyhow good luck with the installation.

humanhowever

May 26, 2014
Visit site
humanpower didn't bring up the issue of WiFi extenders, that seems to have been assumed by Harrie-S.

The original price for the dlink ones are ?25 (they're on sale for ?16), so we can't really make a judgement based on price for these units.

So, the limiting factor here for the internet is the broadband speed (wireless speed is irrelevant). These units will be fine for that and should cope with streaming - obviously if more than one person in the house is streaming different content, there will be problems.

My advise would be to buy the d-links and see how they work out for you. If you get stuttering, consider going for a higher speed. Distance selling regulations means you can return goods if they're not fit for purpose.

Yes, the printer will work fine if it's connected via ethernet cable - just the same as any network-connected printer.

Hey! You seem to be the only one that understood what I was saying.
You're right, I'm not after wireless functionality.
I get broadband speeds of upto 35mbs, but the HD streaming I was referring was not over the internet but would be done over the network itself. From videos stored on a drive attached to the router. I was just wondering whether these 200mbs adapters would cope with that, or whether I'd be better off getting 500mbs ones.

Thanks.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the network streaming was what I was referring to here, not streaming from the net. Id still advise you to buy and try these out for your intended purpose. If they stutter, you night want to try out faster plugs. Makes perfect sense to try the most cost effective method first.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium