Why aren't my system metro apps working?

PratikMade

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
System metro apps not working help!!

W8.1 LIVE TILE PROBLEM.jpg
Here's the problem:
I have a pc which is running windows 8.1 and my system metro apps are not working. The live tiles of system apps like mail, calender, people, news etc are completely blank and title of these live tiles are also unusual like " mail.microsoft.system" and when i click on it the app starts and suspends in background and when i revoke it using task manager it again suspends. Please help!! I'm tired of this. I dont want to reset my pc as i have some important data and dont have enough time to back it up. Also there is an exception the store metro app works with proper live information. Other metro apps do work like vlc, wikipedia, etc.

Last edited:

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: System metro apps not working help!!

What usually worked for me when I was facing a similar issue was just uninstalling the app(s) and reinstall them from the store.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

It sounds to me like a Microsoft Account sync error...

Do you sign on to your PC with your Microsoft Account?

Is your system date and time accurate?

Try signing into your Microsoft Account in your browser and see what happens... Attention required, etc.

PratikMade

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

Did you try troubleshooter
Troubleshooting - Open and Use in Windows 8
Like update problems or start maintains.
So do you see something if you open the maintains center (little flag on taskbar)
Did you do a virus scan.
Yah I did a virus scan found them cleaned them. Also did the tile reset command from command prompt it just executes and shows some error and by the time I try to read it the computer restarts. The store is also unable to update those apps.

PratikMade

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

It sounds to me like a Microsoft Account sync error...

Do you sign on to your PC with your Microsoft Account?

Is your system date and time accurate?

Try signing into your Microsoft Account in your browser and see what happens... Attention required, etc.
Yes I sign into my PC via Microsoft account. Date and time seems to be accurate. I'll try to login again using the account

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

PratikMade

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

Did the System File Checker but it was unable to fix some problems and suggested me to manually fix those. Although I tried fixing but it's a long list of files which needs to be fixed which requires copying system files from another computer having the same version of OS. I can't do it ,is there something else I can try?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You did use exactly "dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restore health" right? Just making sure.
With command prompt running as admin would be nice.

I'm not sure what to suggest, something must've really gone south.

PratikMade

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

Well I did a reset without affecting personal files to my Windows 8.1 but don't know why it rolled back to Windows 8 but now all my metro apps are working fine. Should I again update it to Windows 8.1 but I fear my metro apps will break again!

PratikMade

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

Also what am I missing if I don't go back to Windows 8.1? During the recovery it has consumed a lot of space about 25GB, how should I recover it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss