Which is the best antivirus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abhishek P

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I used windows defender till now, and I regularly updated virus definitions. But recently, a friend of mine said that windows defender doesn't detect all malware and advised me to use an antivirus. So, I'm confused which one is good. Avast, avg, avira etc
Please suggest me a good free antivirus

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
They don't differ too much. But even though your friend is right, the best Antivirus you could use is common sense. Just don't click every link you happen to come across in emails, on Facebook or other user driven sites. And stay away from questionable, dubious sites as well. This combined with Windows Defender (which is only one part of the security essentials baked into Windows 8 and above) and you're absolutely fine.
While dedicated antivirus and malware tools may give you an additional safety, their impact on your device's performance is considerable.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Kaspersky is user friendly and works well.
I don't pay for AV, use Comodo Defense+/Firewall. I also upload suspicious exes to virustotal

GrandGerminator

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Defender for me too. Using it for few years right now (It was "Security essentials" on W7 ans had no problems. I know few people having viruses while using Avast...

vsmh96

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I used windows defender till now, and I regularly updated virus definitions. But recently, a friend of mine said that windows defender doesn't detect all malware and advised me to use an antivirus. So, I'm confused which one is good. Avast, avg, avira etc
Please suggest me a good free antivirus

There is no best antivirus, it depends on your needs (eg: do you want an antivirus that notifies you or takes care of issues on its own?)

for most users common sense as as stated by dKP1977 is the best, because no antivirus catches them all,

I use Avira as the first layer of protection and an extra scanner like Malwarebytes (unfortunately certain people will have itchy fingers and download or click on crap links, then there we go again scanning and deleting)
now that i dont let anyone simply click on crappy links or download stuff, its been doing fine.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Its not free, but Webroot has always been good to me. Its never failed to find and/or get rid of something on my computer. Doesn't work, however, with Windows 10, so . . . I'll have to wait for it updating after 10 is officially released.

ankitj4060

May 1, 2015
Visit site
In free I have always trusted and benefited from Microsoft Security Essentials/Windows Defender (win8,8.1) and In paid you can buy Kaspersky without thinking so much

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
MSE/WD along with MBAM free version won't hurt PC performance at all. Not all AV are foolproof. Also consider keeping a copy of Kaspersky Rescue Disk for worst case scenario just in case some Malware slips into your PC somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786