Need suggestions for a security suite that actually works. I have to deal with tons of infected flash drives and spam mails and for the coming year, I cannot afford to deal with an sort of data losses.

I used to have AVG when I used Windows 8.1. However, AVG failed to stop a virus from an infected flash drive that actually messed up with Windows Installer. I tried Bitdefender Total Security lately and it has an annoying bug - it shows extensions of all files. Also, Bitdefender modified some Windows settings on 10. For now, I have Defender only.

Can anyone suggest me a security suite that will provide decent protection (online and offline) without much hassles (small updates, good detection, low performance impact and most importantly, does not mess with system settings)? I would like if there is a PC tuneup thing - something that came with AVG as a separate program, but that is not mandatory.
    08-21-2015 07:27 AM
    None.

Also. Simple disable autorun and your flash drive "infections" will not bother your computer.

"The best defense against computer viruses might not even be antivirus software, but a crafty combination of education and common sense."
    08-21-2015 07:35 AM
    I really agree with your quote over there. In fact, I have spent days with just Microsoft's solution till I had to work other people, and infected systems. There are times when implementation of common sense takes a bit more time and having a security suite makes it easier. Right now, I have a flash drive on my desk that is infected, there are some videos on it that are to e taken out.

For now, I will boot up using Tails or Elementary OS and then take the files from the flash drive, then reboot back into Windows. This is the safest procedure that I can think of right now. However, a couple of months from now, I might not even get that much time. So, a security suite would be a convenient option.
    08-21-2015 08:22 AM
    I'm a fan of Avast! and would probably choose that if I had to deploy serious protections.
    08-21-2015 04:19 PM
    Short story long; I recently sent my Dell Laptop back for repair. It was sent back with a clean install of Win 8.1. I immediately noticed multiple popups that I did not see before repair. Was the Dell load infected; I don't know.

This happened about the time Win 10 was officially released so I upgraded. Win 10 Home

As I reinstalled the software I had on my laptop before repair, the problem got worse. I could not even open a website without multiple pages opening making doing anything useless.

I started researching what to do and the best option for me (not a techno geek) was to load and use some type of protection software. I had good results in the past with Symantec so I opted to buy and download the Security Suite. Windows Defender was not doing the job by the way. I would run a full scan and it found no problems.

The first scan I did using Symantec was a full scan and it found over 100 problem files and programs on my PC. It took a few times of scanning but I now have a computer I can use.

Don't know anything about any of the other security programs except McAfee and Windows Defender and neither was helpful at all for me. I can recommend Symantec because it worked for me.

Hope this helps. You can use the Symantec for free for 30 days so you might give it a try.
    08-22-2015 08:37 AM
    Short story long; I recently sent my Dell Laptop back for repair. It was sent back with a clean install of Win 8.1. I immediately noticed multiple popups that I did not see before repair. Was the Dell load infected; I don't know.

This happened about the time Win 10 was officially released so I upgraded. Win 10 Home

As I reinstalled the software I had on my laptop before repair, the problem got worse. I could not even open a website without multiple pages opening making doing anything useless.

I started researching what to do and the best option for me (not a techno geek) was to load and use some type of protection software. I had good results in the past with Symantec so I opted to buy and download the Security Suite. Windows Defender was not doing the job by the way. I would run a full scan and it found no problems.

The first scan I did using Symantec was a full scan and it found over 100 problem files and programs on my PC. It took a few times of scanning but I now have a computer I can use.

Don't know anything about any of the other security programs except McAfee and Windows Defender and neither was helpful at all for me. I can recommend Symantec because it worked for me.

Hope this helps. You can use the Symantec for free for 30 days so you might give it a try.
    Try scanning with MalwareBytes as well.
    08-22-2015 09:15 AM