Windows Defender Security - Is it Enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazman_777

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
So here's my defense in depth:

1) Defender
2) MalwareBytes
3) DON'T RUN AS A USER IN ADMINISTRATORS GROUP
4) No Flash, no Java (is Java plug-in even supported anywhere anymore? Is there Flash anywhere, I don't even know)
5) Keep system, software up to date
6) Don't have software you don't use
7) AdBlocking (uBlock Origin) in browser (Ads are an attack vector for malware) (Sorry, Mobile Nations, it's SELF-DEFENSE)
8) Check URL visually before clicking, including in emails

Not that complicated. Sure it's not 100% guaranteed but there are enough layers to make things hard for an attacker.

The point is, Defender is just one part of a defense.

Surendran Nambiath

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
It's 2018. Windows 10 has been around for a while now. Plenty of time for those built-in apps...like Windows Defender...to have matured and improved. But has it?

This is a hugely important question and one that goes right to the heart of Windows 10 security.

Bottom line, is Microsoft's built-in antivirus up to the job of protecting your PC?

I haven't run into any major issues with any of my W10 devices. I tend to stick to safe sites and only download apps from the store.

BUT...

Every couple of weeks I'll run a full scan and the last few runs have picked up threats. These are actual malicious threats that I assume have made it through the net and are sitting on my machine.

Worrying stuff.

There are so many conflicting articles about Windows 10 Security and Antivirus protection.

It's hard to know whether it's worth relying on Microsoft alone to keep your device safe, or whether the clever money is on downloading a third party app the moment you boot your machine up for the first time.

What do other Windows 10 users do?

I was 'bitting shricks' (just interchange the b and S there) when I free upgraded from 8.1 to 10. I had a 5-year subscription for Norton Utilities, which I first took up almost from the DOS 3.1 days!

It was frustrating and scary initially, when Norton failed to run on Win 10! With trembling fingers, I uninstalled Norton (I HATED wasting my Subscription) and sailed out, with Defender at Full Mast. I'm glad to report I've not had a SINGLE Minute of down time because of Viruses/ Security issues, from running Defender alone - only wish I could get back the money on my Norton subscription!! Touch Wood - hoping Defender stays ahead of the game, forever!!

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
So here's my defense in depth:

1) Defender
2) MalwareBytes
3) DON'T RUN AS A USER IN ADMINISTRATORS GROUP
4) No Flash, no Java (is Java plug-in even supported anywhere anymore? Is there Flash anywhere, I don't even know)
5) Keep system, software up to date
6) Don't have software you don't use
7) AdBlocking (uBlock Origin) in browser (Ads are an attack vector for malware) (Sorry, Mobile Nations, it's SELF-DEFENSE)
8) Check URL visually before clicking, including in emails

Not that complicated. Sure it's not 100% guaranteed but there are enough layers to make things hard for an attacker.

The point is, Defender is just one part of a defense.

Number 3 is not really all that important now anyway, if this was XP then I would agree but with every OS from Vista onwards you are the admin of your account and not the system which is why you have to elevate anything that needs to make system wide changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05