Windows Defender Security - Is it Enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
It's 2018. Windows 10 has been around for a while now. Plenty of time for those built-in apps...like Windows Defender...to have matured and improved. But has it?

This is a hugely important question and one that goes right to the heart of Windows 10 security.

Bottom line, is Microsoft's built-in antivirus up to the job of protecting your PC?

I haven't run into any major issues with any of my W10 devices. I tend to stick to safe sites and only download apps from the store.

BUT...

Every couple of weeks I'll run a full scan and the last few runs have picked up threats. These are actual malicious threats that I assume have made it through the net and are sitting on my machine.

Worrying stuff.

There are so many conflicting articles about Windows 10 Security and Antivirus protection.

It's hard to know whether it's worth relying on Microsoft alone to keep your device safe, or whether the clever money is on downloading a third party app the moment you boot your machine up for the first time.

What do other Windows 10 users do?

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I think its enough if you just stick with the safe sites and don't fall victim to click bait. The fact Defender found the files in your computer after a scan is good. If you are worried, set you defender to scan nightly.

I have one desktop and a Surface Pro. On my Surface I just have defender, but, my PC (since I use it for my business) I have both Defender and a paid virus program.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
How do you determine that what Defender finds are actual threats? Security software almost always finds something when you run a scan. They're usually PUP (Potentially Unwanted Programs).

I've never seen any issues with Defender. If it makes you feel better, try another security solution. See how it does.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I firmly believe Windows Defender is a perfectly competent security solution for the vast majority of consumers. It's updated very regularly, is unobtrusive, and has a faster response time to new threats (due to its integrated nature and being supported directly by Microsoft). It's certainly not the most comprehensive security solution out there, but as long as you have basic computer smarts and aren't clicking every link that pops up, you'll be just fine. In my opinion, it's not worth investing in a paid anti-virus program unless you have a very specific reason for doing so, and programs like Norton are almost malware themselves.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I use Defender along with Malwarebytes, no issues. Use to use TrendMicro years back, but saw no real benefit from the extra expense. If I stumble onto a site that locks my computer until I click something, I shut my computer down > restart > delete all Edge Open Pages, from history > reopen Edge; whoala, the malicious webpage is gone (but haven't seen this happen but once in the last 6 months).

dlls

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't use it myself, I don't use an antivirus at all, I have my own prevention and disaster recovery mechanisms in place. But it should be enough for most people.
It's certainly better than 3rd party security suites which most times only create more problems and performance issues than they do good.

Cbarnhorst

Feb 27, 2018
Visit site
Yes, I rely on Defender for my anti-malware security. I have no issues with it. It plays better with my software than most other solutions.

Shiawian

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I have used Microsoft security essentials since the beginning. I never used any other 3rd party solutions as their application performance impact is huge on the Windows platform. I never had any isssues on none of my systems. Running with limited privilegde account is also a measurement in lowering the risk. So, in my case this sufficient. Isn't Windows Defender using the same definitions used by Forefront cloud solution?!

jtwoodfield

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
I join others in holding that Defender is more than adequate for most people.

Some reviews criticise it. But they tend to be in magazines carrying advertising for paid for alternatives.

DRDiver

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
It's been plenty for me. I actually have good internet practices and I don't go to questionable sites. I can count the number of viruses, etc. that have even attempted to get onto my machine in the past 10 years on one hand.

WRider

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes, if you watch yourself and don't go to strange sites, is fine and don't have to give another app full control over your PC. Opening more security holes from that app/company if they did not secure their app.

Ibro2g

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
It's 2018. Windows 10 has been around for a while now. Plenty of time for those built-in apps...like Windows Defender...to have matured and improved. But has it?

This is a hugely important question and one that goes right to the heart of Windows 10 security.

Bottom line, is Microsoft's built-in antivirus up to the job of protecting your PC?

I haven't run into any major issues with any of my W10 devices. I tend to stick to safe sites and only download apps from the store.

BUT...

Every couple of weeks I'll run a full scan and the last few runs have picked up threats. These are actual malicious threats that I assume have made it through the net and are sitting on my machine.

Worrying stuff.

There are so many conflicting articles about Windows 10 Security and Antivirus protection.

It's hard to know whether it's worth relying on Microsoft alone to keep your device safe, or whether the clever money is on downloading a third party app the moment you boot your machine up for the first time.

I think its enough as it serves me very well. Caught me a big fat worm on a flash drive, and it did catch it. Otherwise, no issues. Not less than any anti-virus I've used, and no I'm not using any other.

frederick1984

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
2 notebook 1 desktop, been using defender since security essentials, but two months or so ago my desktop began suffering with suttering, freezes, and so on (annoying espcially when playing games, and utterlly when playing multiplayer) tried every solution possible, till i foun out "antimalware service executable" was causing the issues. Installed Panda on my desktop, problem solved. Notebooks still with defender, and no problem whatsoever

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
Windows Defender is fine. Its all I use since it was released. If you are paying for AV, you are wasting money.

You have to be doing something REALLY stupid to get a virus these days. I have been using Windows for nearly 30 years. I have NEVER had any kind of malware. Ever. No, browser cookies are not malware.

iSeeiSheep

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site

BUT...

Worrying stuff.

I have used almost every AV product in the enterprise and the title of this article is misleading. There is no such thing as enough, so don't even chase your tail looking for such a thing.

The real question should be is Windows Defender ready for the enterprise? The answer would be yes, because I already see clients adopting Windows Defender and kicking other AV products to the curb. If it's good enough for business to adopt I would suggest it is good enough for home use. In the enterprise if you subscribe to Advanced Threat Protection people are seeing 100% detection rates.

Keep in mind no solution is perfect, but as a security professional I can honestly say Windows Defender is pretty damn good. For what it's worth I don't use third party AV anymore because Windows Defender provides the protection I need.

As for the company I work for, 11,000 Windows 10 user's are also on Windows Defender.

rmark66

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I find it plenty and I never get nag prompts or have to do anything with it. I never even notice system slowdowns or drives spinning up because of it. None of our computers have had a virus in years.

jazman_777

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
The only thing that is "enough" to protect from outside attacks is disconnecting your computer from the network.

Otherwise, "X" (insert name of every single security product) works well enough if you're not attacked by something that gets around it. For me, today, X = Defender + Malwarebytes (going for a little defense in depth)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos