Zune Pass

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Anyone using this? Can they verify some small print I noticed on the zune.net site.

"On Windows Phone, streaming feature requires wireless network access; carrier fees may apply. "

I'm assuming since they say "carrier fees may apply" that you can stream over 3G? Is this true?

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Yes, you can stream over 3G. But there tends to be about a seven second gap as the next track streams over a ~1Mpbs connection.

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Probably the main reason I switched to a Windows Phone from the iPhone/iTunes ecosystem. It's simply fantastic. Wish the WP7 version had all the functionality of my Zune HD though.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Can you download songs over 3G as well?

I wish they'd just include Podcast downloading...make it manual if they have to...but just make it an option that you have to opt in to. Even if it's just over Wifi.

action_efn_jackson

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site

I'm sure you can but man that would eat up your data plan.

Zune Pass is a great deal IMO. If your a music lover who frequently purchases music you would be a fool not to do it. Where else can you pay practically the price of a CD (or less depending on the subscription) and listen to pretty much anything you want and also DL 10 songs to keep per month?

Sent from my T8788 using Board Express

Last edited:

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Yep, you can download over 3G... I should add though that your download speed (and streaming performance will most likely vary). I live in Houston and if I try to stream while I'm driving, the songs will often start to skip because of a poor 3G connection. However, I often travel to San Antonio, and for some reason songs rarely skip while driving around that city. What is even more confusing, usually downloads don't take very long (about 1-2 minutes) so I don't see why streaming should be an issue.

And furthermore, for some reason I can stream a Netflix show while traveling (obviously not while I drive) with little to no interrupts.

apc_monk

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
For Podcasts there are two apps that are worth checking out. Podcasts! allows streaming of podcasts over 3g and Bringcast allows downloading of podcasts over 3g.

sklein382

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Zune Pass is by far my favorite thing about WP7. When I first got my phone I really missed Pandora, but now I can get almost any album I am thinking about free in minutes. Sure, you can do that with an iPhone, but there is something about just clicking download and paying that is just the best. If I hear a song on the radio I really like, I can download all of the band's albums and if I only liked the one song, I just delete the rest.

My only issue is that I am now out of space on my phone.

apc_monk

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
The Bringcast selection seems to be ok, I just downloaded the trial version which allows to get up to 3 feeds, there is a search option in the app though for other podcasts.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'd recommend the Zune Pass. I was against it for a while because the price is steeper than other services, but Zune does a good job at presenting you with new music based on Channels, dynamic playlists and the way Marketplace is arranged. I'm actually posting this from my phone listening to Zune in the background. Love it!

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I'd recommend the Zune Pass. I was against it for a while because the price is steeper than other services, but Zune does a good job at presenting you with new music based on Channels, dynamic playlists and the way Marketplace is arranged. I'm actually posting this from my phone listening to Zune in the background. Love it!

It isn't really more expensive when you consider you get to keep 10 songs....should you ever stop paying for most of those services you loose everything.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It isn't really more expensive when you consider you get to keep 10 songs....should you ever stop paying for most of those services you loose everything.

That is one extra benefit to the service. 10 credits on iTunes is going to cost you $10+, so it's technically only $5 for unlimited music service. I view music as a cheaper medium than video, so when I'm paying $10 a month for Netflix, I'd expect my music rental service to come in at the Netflix price or cheaper. Although I'm still amazed Netflix is so cheap.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
That is one extra benefit to the service. 10 credits on iTunes is going to cost you $10+, so it's technically only $5 for unlimited music service. I view music as a cheaper medium than video, so when I'm paying $10 a month for Netflix, I'd expect my music rental service to come in at the Netflix price or cheaper. Although I'm still amazed Netflix is so cheap.

Yeah, especially with all those new releases on Netflix streaming..........

Oh wait.

:)

And again though.....you don't get to take those video's anywhere with you.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Just a question about Zune pass. Should i be able to download unlimited music on my phone. Or is it that music can only be downloaded with the PC.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Just a question about Zune pass. Should i be able to download unlimited music on my phone. Or is it that music can only be downloaded with the PC.

You get so many PC's, Zune's, or phones to assign one account to, and you can download directly to any of those devices, or download on your PC and transfer them to any of those devices.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. I guess my phone isn't linked. I'm still seeing charges for downloads from my phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb