Making Ringtones

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Yep. Assuming you have already created your ringtone (less than 1MB and 39 sec max - WMA or MP3), right click on your ringtone in Zune and select Edit. Change the Genre to RINGTONE (use caps, don't know why). The first one you will have to type out the word. After that select off the dropdown list. Click OK and drag your ringtone down to the sync icon. That's it.

I have been using Sound Editor in Roxio Creator 9 to make my ringtones. I also remove all artist, title info about the song so that all my ringtones appear within Zune as Unknown Artist. Easier to keep them organized.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I can make personal ringtones in Zune fine, but I take it you can't make custom alerts? I did try with zune naming them Alerts but it just appeared in the Ringtones section.

I just wanted a custom email alert so is there any way to achieve this ?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I just wanted a custom email alert so is there any way to achieve this ?
Not that I know of. When I had access to the registry/file system (pre Mango) I saw that they were set as Alert-1.wma, Alert-2.wma, etc. And then referenced the same way in a non-editable registry key. Don't think there is any way to change them.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Yep. Assuming you have already created your ringtone (less than 1MB and 39 sec max - WMA or MP3), right click on your ringtone in Zune and select Edit. Change the Genre to RINGTONE (use caps, don't know why). The first one you will have to type out the word. After that select off the dropdown list. Click OK and drag your ringtone down to the sync icon. That's it.

I have been using Sound Editor in Roxio Creator 9 to make my ringtones. I also remove all artist, title info about the song so that all my ringtones appear within Zune as Unknown Artist. Easier to keep them organized.

If I go to start > Home > Zune > Music, I can drag and drop my ringtones into my music list? Then plug in my phone so that the Zune Software starts, and I will see the ringtone in my list of songs?

Guess it didn't register that this is for the beta Zune in Mango.

Last edited:

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
While we're on the subject of Zune, I just topped up my Zune Pass to keep me going over Christmas.

They can be had cheap on ebay if you hurry as these particular passes expire soon. (3 Months for $25 weird Yankee Dollar thangs or ?16 if your in the UK like moi)

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Just sharing! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss