Zunepass questions

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not clear on how zune pass works. With a zune pass you can stream unlimited music to your phone? What about downloading songs? If you download them to your phone do they stay there as long as you have a current subscription? I'm trying to determine if this is something I'd like to try and get a better handle on how it works.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes that's right scottcraft, you can either just stream the songs or download them.

Bear in mind that some albums are purchase only and don't allow streaming.

Usually they are compilations and there aren't too many like this but just be aware of it.

Downloading them makes more sense of course if you have a limited data plan or maybe going to an area where your signal might be be a bit iffy.

Another bonus is you can also listen to your music on the PC and XBox too if you have one.

Give the 14 day ZunePass service a go, you get a 14 day free trial.

This will give you a feel for the service and see how you like it. :)

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yea the Zune Pass is a great feature. I use it to check out new releases and listen to songs I want to hear right at that moment. You can streamover 3G too which is good.

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
webOS refugee here. I just signed up for a trial myself. I can definitely see the draw, but I do have a couple questions.

1) Is it possible to share an account? My wife and I both bought Arrives but we can't afford $30 a month. Is it possible to set it up so we can both use the same account?

2) I just updated to Mango, so I have the Smart DJ thing, seems sort of Pandora-esque. Is there a way to fine tune that or anything or does it always just seed of a single song?

3) Not sure if its hidden or something, but, when playing with the Smart DJ or the prebuilt playlists out there in the market, I keep wanting to "favorite" a song or else add it to a playlist on the fly. That doesn't seem possible, am I missing something?

4) Is there a simple shortcut type way to get to the Music Marketplace? Seems like I have to tap a lot of menus to get to things like the prebuilt playlists...

Thanks!

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I signed up for the 14 day trial today. I think I'm going to like it. I'll wait until I get a bluetooth device in my truck before I get the real deal.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering why MS canceled the Zune players? With windows phone capped at 16 gb of storage, and no sd slot, it doesn't leave options for larger collections. I wound up grabbing a zune on ebay for my music. Don't forget your 10 free tracks a month. (if that's still part of the plan).

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
So far I'm liking the trial. I'm working a ton right now so I haven't got to really use it a lot. I doubt I get a paid subscription until I get a bluetooth device in my truck, but it will probably happen.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
webOS refugee here. I just signed up for a trial myself. I can definitely see the draw, but I do have a couple questions.

1) Is it possible to share an account? My wife and I both bought Arrives but we can't afford $30 a month. Is it possible to set it up so we can both use the same account?

2) I just updated to Mango, so I have the Smart DJ thing, seems sort of Pandora-esque. Is there a way to fine tune that or anything or does it always just seed of a single song?

3) Not sure if its hidden or something, but, when playing with the Smart DJ or the prebuilt playlists out there in the market, I keep wanting to "favorite" a song or else add it to a playlist on the fly. That doesn't seem possible, am I missing something?

4) Is there a simple shortcut type way to get to the Music Marketplace? Seems like I have to tap a lot of menus to get to things like the prebuilt playlists...

Thanks!

1) Yep up to 3 devices can share a Zune pass and I think up to two (I could possibly be wrong) phones can share apps.

2)I didn't use it when I had Zune (I like to control what songs play next) but I assume it goes by your ratings like Pandora

Not sure about 3 or 4 since I don't have a wp7 device yet

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
The Zune Pass will work on up to 3 computers and 3 devices, with "device" defined as a Zune player or Zune-enabled phone. I have it on a desktop, 2 notebooks, a ZuneHD, and a phone: thus, I can still add either a second player or phone. You can also replace a computer or device every 30 days. This really means that if I delete a third computer or device from my account, in 30 days, I can add a new one; so, I cannot be rotating multiple units in and out once I reach the 3+3 max. One other condition is that all units have to access the Zune account with and through the WinLive address linked to the pass. Thus, again, you and another user cannot access the Pass features (streaming and downloading, for instance), simultaneously, although, of course, you can play your entire "collection" (downloads (drm-protected and not) + rips) on all units at any time.

BTW, if you can spare the cash outlay, you can get an even better deal with a $150 annual pass that comes out to $12.50 a month. I figure that with my 10 credits, I'm paying $2-3 a month to rent 4000+ songs -and that's really an artificial ceiling that applies only to the ceilings on my 32gb ZuneHD and microSD expansion card. I'll soon be zooming past 32GBs on my computers and will have to be doing manual adds/syncs. Yes, I have a serious lifelong music habit. Except for my public library, I have NEVER had a better entertainment value. It was my Zune Pass that made me a ZuneHD and WP7 user.

Last edited:

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
One qualification on my prior post is that, unfortunately, effective today -13 Sept 2011, current and new subscribers IN EUROPE are limited to a total of 4 units, and I believe one has to be a computer. I don't know why and I don't know whether this portends changes for US subscribers or prospects for countries to be added. The why may shed light on the whether.

Between you and I, I would lose access on one laptop, but it really wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me. ;)

dannzeman

Aug 15, 2008
Visit site

Thanks!
2. Zune uses your song ratings to help create the list and starts it basses off the song you pick just like when starting a station in pandora.

3. I think you have to be on the mango update, but once your are then you can select the song and save it to a playlist.

4. I don't think there's a way to add a shortcut to the Market for Music but you can pin playlists and albums and whatnot to the home screen, at least in mango.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99