Zune Plays Count and Favorites

TheDarKnight

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi Folks,
When I play songs on my WP, do they add to the zune play count ? coz I notice they don't, do I have to sync it or do something specific for that to happen ?
Also when I set songs as favorites, does that change on my local songs as well ?

Thanks in Advanced.

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Holy statistics, Batman! It appears you are correct about play count. I experimented yesterday by playing about 10 songs from my Collection on the Focus, and downloading a song from the marketplace. This morning, I plugged in the phone to sync (wirelessly) with my desktop: the downloaded song synced to the desktop Collection, but the play count did not change.

I am surprised because I do most of my listening on my Zune HDs, and although I haven't monitored the play count, I have watched it grow and don't believe that the 33K+ count on my computer -the only place I've ever noticed a count- has climbed only through playing there. But, again, I have not monitored this, and I do have a serious ZunePass habit: it is entirely possible. I'm curious about this and will be doing some more experimenting, including with my Zune HDs; I'll report back if I see anything different or meaningful.

I've never even explored the favorite feature, so I cannot help there.

Evening edit: I plugged in my phone this evening, and I see that the play count has now advanced by 11 which would be the 10 played from my collection last night plus the marketplace play of the track I downloaded. So, my revised response is that your count should reflect a sum of your plays across devices.

Last edited:

TheDarKnight

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Holy statistics, Batman! It appears you are correct about play count. I experimented yesterday by playing about 10 songs from my Collection on the Focus, and downloading a song from the marketplace. This morning, I plugged in the phone to sync (wirelessly) with my desktop: the downloaded song synced to the desktop Collection, but the play count did not change.

I am surprised because I do most of my listening on my Zune HDs, and although I haven't monitored the play count, I have watched it grow and don't believe that the 33K+ count on my computer -the only place I've ever noticed a count- has climbed only through playing there. But, again, I have not monitored this, and I do have a serious ZunePass habit: it is entirely possible. I'm curious about this and will be doing some more experimenting, including with my Zune HDs; I'll report back if I see anything different or meaningful.

I've never even explored the favorite feature, so I cannot help there.

Evening edit: I plugged in my phone this evening, and I see that the play count has now advanced by 11 which would be the 10 played from my collection last night plus the marketplace play of the track I downloaded. So, my revised response is that your count should reflect a sum of your plays across devices.
Thanks for your response, it’s not working for me thought, not the count neither the favorites, I have an HTC HD7, but does all of that have to do with the "Linking" option in Zune? it says my device doesn’t support it.

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
In my experience, it has everything to do with your HD7 being linked, and the HD7 is supported: like mine, it is one of the 3 original WP releases, and mine has worked great from the start (you could always have this "support" affirmed on the HD7 forum).
Now I see that the "do I have to sync it or do something" in your original post is pretty fundamental/elementary. If your HD7 cannot get linked, there may be something fundamentally wrong with it. But, if the phone works fine otherwise, it may be an account issue of a kind I don't recognize. I would connect with chat support through the link in the recent Zune Support thread here. I'm confident they'll resolve your issue promptly and let you focus on the listening. Be sure to throw in your favorites question.

JohnC#WP

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
My HTC Trophy does... I have been trying to beat my friend's play count since I got a Zune, and I did pass him two weeks ago. I've noticed sometimes it takes a little while to update though.

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
My play count stopped updating two years ago, and that's playing on both an 80g and 16g Zune. Bound to have hit 200k by now, but sadly I guess it doesn't matter now that Zune is fading away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss