xbox song 8mb? Why so big?

Benjamin Mendez1

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
8mb for one song seems like a lot for the new Xbox music songs. I remember when I used to download songs from zune on my phone they were like 2-3mb. Why the increase of amost 5 per song? am I missing something here? Better quality?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
8mb for one song seems like a lot for the new Xbox music songs. I remember when I used to download songs from zune on my phone they were like 2-3mb. Why the increase of amost 5 per song? am I missing something here? Better quality?

Purchased songs are streamed at 256Kbps if you buy them from Xbox Music. Xbox Music officially announced for Windows 8, iOS, and Android | Ars Technica

Zune Marketplace songs were 192Kbps. Zune Software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The higher bitrate provides better quality and is the reason for the size difference.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! I still feel like its a lot of mb for one song. An increase of about 60% more mb for an increase of 64kbps doesn't seem right.
I never used Zune or Xbox Music, but I am a big music fan. I have some songs that are FLAC format, which are even bigger.
flac.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb