*claps* Bravo, Xbox Music. You are a skilled competitor. I humbly submit victory.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I installed Windows 8 on my desktop several months ago. Like a true champion, I immediately installed Zune (I'm grandfathered into 10 free songs). Sure, it's a pain syncing Zune to WP8 but it was manageable. I recently got a Surface RT and I've been using that for about a month. I decided to give Xbox Music the old college try. My experience is best described by Captain Picard.

tq9v0yC.jpg

Seriously, this is the worst piece of software I've ever used from Microsoft, bar none! The problems are well documented and there are too many to list But here are a few that really annoy me. For starters, the Tegra 3 is not equipped to handle Xbox Music. Nearly every single thing I do causes lag. To add to that, changing menus takes an eternity. Creating a playlist is simple enough. Playing a playlist is frustration. I hate that I can't pick a playlist, choose the song and have the list continue on from there. It repeats just that one song. Unless the list is part of "Now Playing," which adds a few more steps to the process. None of my playlists can be transferred. I can't even find them on the hard drive. Downloading songs is hit or miss. Hitting "Add to Music" will either download the song or add a streaming version to my collection. And my favorite problem, songs downloaded through Xbox Music, transferred using the Windows Phone metro app to a fully functional Lumia 920 still cannot confirm the usage rights!!! :angry:

That's it, Xbox Music. You win. I'm done! From now on I'm downloading all my songs through my 920. Then I'll copy/paste them to my Surface via mass storage mode. Problem solved...ish. The Surface itself is no longer part of the music downloading process. And I love this... The 920 still recognizes that I have 10 song credits. Xbox Music on my phone is now far more capable than the W8 version.

The Xbox Music experience can only be described by one word - embarrassing.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
If you download songs on 920 - there is no guarantee it will sync back to cloud! Best way to do it is on PC. Tried and tested - if you rely on cloud that is.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Yup, im in the same boat. Tried and tried to make it work with my Lumia 920. Sadly, I decided last night to go back to my iphone. I'll keep my Lumia around and hopefully Microsoft gets around to fixing this horrible mess.

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Yup, im in the same boat. Tried and tried to make it work with my Lumia 920. Sadly, I decided last night to go back to my iphone. I'll keep my Lumia around and hopefully Microsoft gets around to fixing this horrible mess.
I ahd trouble with music turned out the issue was the phone MS had me do a hard reset, fixed that issue but ran into others. ATT replaced the phone and I havent run into any issues since. Also the new windows phone app on win 8 I believe does play lists.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I ahd trouble with music turned out the issue was the phone MS had me do a hard reset, fixed that issue but ran into others. ATT replaced the phone and I havent run into any issues since. Also the new windows phone app on win 8 I believe does play lists.

Sorry if I mislead you into thinking my phone wasn't working properly, it is. It's that the music player is so lackluster. Like most people I really hate Xbox music and want to go back to Zune. I'm sure Microsoft will fix it soon and when they do I'll dig my lumia back out and start using it again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss