Can't stream to surface pro

zachiepie

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
So I've tried finding a fix for this problem for several months, and I apologize if there's a thread somewhere that I never saw. But here's the problem:

I have a laptop (win 7) and a Surface Pro. All my music (usually in the form of ripped CDs) is on the laptop, and I simply want to stream it with Xbox Music. It seems that Xbox Music will see all the songs, but I only get 30 second clips with ads when I play them. However, if I switch to Windows Media Player on the Surface Pro, I can play all the songs perfectly.

I've had problems with Homegroup before, and even now, I can't use Explorer to find the songs via Surface Pro very easily.

So any ideas?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
First and for most, Xbox Music app is still pretty crappy.

As far as not finding the songs using explorer easily, what is hard about it? What is happening or not happening? I have a Windows 7 HTPC and my desktop (running windows 8) can see the files on it perfect using homegroup.

zachiepie

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so if I use Explorer to find the folder that I KNOW has the songs in it, I'll see it under Network/Laptop/Music. Clicking on that on the Surface shows I don't have permission (You do not have permission to access), clicking on it on the laptop shows all the songs are there. Maybe the permission thing is why I can't see the laptop's pictures on my Surface, either.

Last edited:

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I went and checked my homegroup settings on my win 7 desktop. Music, pictures and videos were checked. A box below that about streaming to devices in the homegroup wasn't . I checked that. Then on my RT, I added music to Xbox music according to the link in my other post. It added the folder from my desktop and I can play through music on my RT with no problem.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
And when adding to your surface, you have to add folders, it doesn't see the songs until the whole folder has been added to surface music.

zachiepie

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
FINALLY figured out what was going on.

So if I go into the Music folder on my laptop, and go into Sharing, I could see who I was sharing to. Homegroup was always there, but I added a permission to Everyone and it worked. Don't know why that was so hard, yet so easy. I would have thought the purpose of Homegroup was for just that. Oh well, here's to listening to Avril Lavine on the Surface Pro while my girlfriend and I make dinner in the kitchen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte