Problem with homegroup music

zachiepie

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I've had this problem for months, and just can't figure out a solution. Hopefully you guys can!

So I have a Surface Pro and a Windows 7 lappy that are Homegrouped. All my music/videos are on the Windows 7 machine. When I go into Xbox Music on the Surface Pro, I can see all the music from the laptop, but they all have the icon next to the song that indicates it plays via the cloud (()) <-- Kind of like that. But it's not in the cloud, it's on the Windows 7 machine that is sitting 5 feet away! Funny thing, I can get all my movies to play on the Surface Pro, just not any of the music. And whenever I try to browse into the music folder with the Surface Pro (the folder containing all the music on the Win 7 machine), it usually says I don't have permission, even though I've given myself and HomeGroup permission to access the music folder about 1,000,000 times.
Can anyone think of something I can try?

zachiepie

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so I found a solution. I think....

On the Surface Pro, I went to the Network and learned that Network Discovery and File Sharing wasn't on. So I turned it on, and now it's adding all the music into the Surface music library.

Seems like I've had to do this before, it might be a problem with Network Discovery and File Sharing. Maybe it's not staying on. I'll look into it and report.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb