New XBox Music App - Can create playlists like normal create playlists!

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
So my experience with zune and xbox music so far when it came to creating playlist was a horrible experience. The way i had to do it was i had to play a song, go to history click it again so it is the only song that comes up in the now playing. If i were to pick a song and play it from the song list, it would pull the whole album or a bunch of other related songs i believe/ So annoying..

The new xbox music app that released today now simplifies it and works like how it should. Go to playlist, press the add button to create a list, name it then it take syou to your songs and you can check the songs you want, save it, its done! Simple !

NOw the only thing is getting the matching music thing done properly and also being able to manage xbox music frmo your phone and have it sync to the PC. Right now its a one way street when managing, hopefully somebody can try it now and report it, or i will just wait till i get home to try if there is a two way street syncing.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
It's still a preview app, so it's missing some features that the music hub had like podcasts. Also the live tile doesn't do anything yet. But playlists.. holy smokes something simple like making/editing a playlist has been so long coming...

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Now only if I could get it to sync a playlist from the XBox Music Hub to the new XBox Music app. One thing missing is those online playlists that XBox Music Video Hub has... they are like pre-made playlists like Summer Hits of 2013 or Outlaw Country, etc. I can start playing one of those songs and turn that into a playlist. However, now I'd like to get that playlist to sync locally to the new app. Weird.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Another improvement is download songs via your pass. In the past you'd have to tap on a song and it would go to the next page where you hit the download button... Now there is just a little download icon next to the song and you tap it and move on. Much smoother.

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Another improvement is download songs via your pass. In the past you'd have to tap on a song and it would go to the next page where you hit the download button... Now there is just a little download icon next to the song and you tap it and move on. Much smoother.

Can't download music to an SD card, though, so it's a no go for me.

Edit: Also, in the new Xbox Music app, every album shows as "in collection", so if I want to download the whole album, I have to click download on each individual song, instead of clicking the one download link under the album artist and name up top.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Can't download music to an SD card, though, so it's a no go for me.

Edit: Also, in the new Xbox Music app, every album shows as "in collection", so if I want to download the whole album, I have to click download on each individual song, instead of clicking the one download link under the album artist and name up top.

So, you're saying even though in the storage settings if you tell it to store music on the SD card, the XBox Music app ignores that? I would assume that would be eventually fixed.

As for downloading an entire album. When you pull it up, there should be a spot to tap on that says download that will download the entire album.

For some reason I'm having an issue trying to upload a screenshot, but it is to the right of the album art.....

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I wrote this in the comment for the article about Xbox Music and XBox Video, but I need to vent here too...

After using Xbox Music since it came out yesterday, I just uninstalled it. It currently offers little over the Music + Video built in client, except tons of crashes, bugs and an even worse UI.

With the exception of FB sharing (which when I shared a song link didn't even work - just took me to the Xbox Music homepage, not to the store with the song) and the new playlist creation (seriously, that's what gets us excited now... sad), this app is a mess. Nevermind beta, this is barely alpha.

Also, my live tiles and lockscreen stopped updating yesterday, right after I installed Xbox Music. Maybe a coincidence, but considering how crappy it runs, maybe it caused it.

I am very much on board with getting a separate Xbox Music client, but they have a logn way to go before this replaces the built in one (and let's not even talk again about how that in turn is worse than Zune from WP7).

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
So, you're saying even though in the storage settings if you tell it to store music on the SD card, the XBox Music app ignores that? I would assume that would be eventually fixed.

As for downloading an entire album. When you pull it up, there should be a spot to tap on that says download that will download the entire album.

For some reason I'm having an issue trying to upload a screenshot, but it is to the right of the album art.....

I'm not the one you responded to, but I had the same problem. I think I saw a "download" button next to one album, but when I clicked, nothing happened. I chose to select all songs and download them instead, but nothing got started either. Clearly we are supposed to be able to do it, it just didn't work at all for me.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm not the one you responded to, but I had the same problem. I think I saw a "download" button next to one album, but when I clicked, nothing happened. I chose to select all songs and download them instead, but nothing got started either. Clearly we are supposed to be able to do it, it just didn't work at all for me.

Yeah, weird. I just downloaded several albums by tapping that. I've also been using it non-stop since yesterday and have had no crashes at all. Maybe it didn't install correctly on your device which is why you had all those crashes. (To be honest, I don't even know if it is possible for an app on a mobile device to install incorrectly....)

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Only issue i had was adding an album, took awhile to finally recognize.

No crashes, works fine using it regularly but also bluetooth in my car while i drive to and work, no issues. One issue is the shuffle playlist option doesnt seem to be too shuffly, kind of get the same songs playin gin the same order at times. That is fine though.

One quirk i do not like is in the playlist creation, if i create a new playlist, i only have the ability to search songs, so if i have thousands of songs, screw that, hopefully they can update soon so you can search by album and choose songs within the album. Huge oversight on their part, should of focused on having that in this preview version. Who is going to go through a crap load of songs..So the best way is to download only certain songs in albums so when you create a playlist, pick on your phone only so that will remove all the cloud ones.

Anyway, but being able to create a playlist, but also having additions to your collections sync up to your pc and back is good enough to keep this app and remove the hub from my start screen.

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, even if you select to add new music to the SD card, they aren't downloaded there using the Xbox Music app. Hopefully this changes in the future, but as of right now, it's a no go.

As for downloading whole albums, I know where the download link is supposed to be. Unfortunately, every album states it is already in my collection, even if it isn't, so there is no download link for me. Just says "in collection" instead of "download".

Edit: Went to check if it was different and noticed it tells me that I don't have the rights to play that Mac Miller CD "Live in Space", even though I can go to the regular Windows Phone Store app and download it from the Music section there.

Additionally, since music downloaded gets saved in the app's internal memory and not the music folder, either on the SD card or on the phone, the music I download through the app doesn't appear in my collection in the Music and Video Hub. I am definitely not a fan of the app in its current state.

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, even if you select to add new music to the SD card, they aren't downloaded there using the Xbox Music app. Hopefully this changes in the future, but as of right now, it's a no go.

As for downloading whole albums, I know where the download link is supposed to be. Unfortunately, every album states it is already in my collection, even if it isn't, so there is no download link for me. Just says "in collection" instead of "download".

Edit: Went to check if it was different and noticed it tells me that I don't have the rights to play that Mac Miller CD "Live in Space", even though I can go to the regular Windows Phone Store app and download it from the Music section there.

Additionally, since music downloaded gets saved in the app's internal memory and not the music folder, either on the SD card or on the phone, the music I download through the app doesn't appear in my collection in the Music and Video Hub. I am definitely not a fan of the app in its current state.
just downloaded 4000 songs from Xbox music and it went to my SD card. And trust me, I own a 1520 with the gimped memory. If it was saving to the phone id know it haha

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
just downloaded 4000 songs from Xbox music and it went to my SD card. And trust me, I own a 1520 with the gimped memory. If it was saving to the phone id know it haha

Maybe I'll give it a try again, but when I downloaded some songs before, they did not show up on my SD card.

Edit: Just tried again and same thing. Downloaded song doesn't appear in my collection in Music and Video Hub, doesn't show in my music folder on either the SD card or phone internal storage, and doesn't show up under music in the Windows Phone app for Windows 8. Only place it shows up is in the Xbox Music app.

If you say it downloads to your SD card, congrats, but it isn't doing that for me.

Anyway, I can download music just fine through the normal store and music shows up instantly everywhere I listed above, including the Xbox Music app, so I prefer that as of now, to using the Xbox Music app for anything.

Last edited:

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
So weird. Maybe uninstall the app, reboot, and reinstall it?

Maybe I'll give it a try again, but when I downloaded some songs before, they did not show up on my SD card.

Edit: Just tried again and same thing. Downloaded song doesn't appear in my collection in Music and Video Hub, doesn't show in my music folder on either the SD card or phone internal storage, and doesn't show up under music in the Windows Phone app for Windows 8. Only place it shows up is in the Xbox Music app.

If you say it downloads to your SD card, congrats, but it isn't doing that for me.

Anyway, I can download music just fine through the normal store and music shows up instantly everywhere I listed above, including the Xbox Music app, so I prefer that as of now, to using the Xbox Music app for anything.

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
So weird. Maybe uninstall the app, reboot, and reinstall it?

Well, most people I've seen comment on the issue have stated the same as me. That music downloaded through the Xbox Music app is stored within the apps internal storage, which explains why it doesn't show up anywhere. The other poster above is the first and only I've seen state that the music downloaded through the Xbox Music app is stored on the SD card. With that in mind, I don't think a reinstall is going to change that.

Hopefully they get everything sorted out with the Xbox Music app soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)