Is IE inferior?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The flip side applies as well. People who love Microsoft and hate Chrome say it's worthless. :eck:

Probably, but at least in my case that is not true. From a technical perspective I think Chrome is great. I just don't want software from an advertising company on my PC. That is all.

I have my principles when it comes to benchmarking, where I think I am quite consistent. The points I made about this benchmark are valid for any benchmark. Whether the results are pro or contra MS or Google is irrelevant.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
The flip side applies as well. People who love Microsoft and hate Chrome say it's worthless. :eck:
I don't like Google at all, but that doesn't mean Chrome is trash*. The same way that I'd admit Google Now is actually pretty slick, Google search>Bing (sometimes), and that Google Maps is practically unbearable right now.

I still wouldn't use any Google stuff, though,

(*)It's horrible for my laptop battery. I get better battery life out of Firefox and IE.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm another that used to stay away from IE. It was all Firefox and Chrome for me. Now I have shifted to IE most of the time. I still like the Firefox navigation better but IE has come a long way.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm wasn't trying to dispute what you're saying or say that one browser is better than another. What I meant was that we tend to embrace what we agree with, and disregard what we don't agree with. That's basically what you said too!

So let's say you prefer IE and I prefer Chrome. You're going to say that the site is incorrect & worthless, and I'm going to say it's spot on. Reality has little to do with it.

No, for me reality has everything to do with it.

Please do not impose your apparent biases onto me.

I will admit the site is getting better, though.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
IE all the way. The hatred of people stems from IEs before IE10. I hated it then too. Outside perhaps some plugins, there's no reason to use something else as a default.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a lot of compatiablity issues with every browser. Internet Explorer sometimes is the worst.

I find Google Chrome to be the browser with less issues. I also find that Chrome performs better on Android than IE does on Windows Phone.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input; I often hear IE put down and I have no issue with it. Seems like there are some features that it is missing (sync). But overall, it sounds like people just love to hate MS.

I think IE's problem was several versions ago. Back in the day IE didn't have competition, and it was pretty bad. When other options came along users switched for a better experience. Since other browsers such as Firefox, Opera, and Chrome have come on the scene Microsoft has really stepped up their game with IE. The last couple versions are very good. It still lacks plugins & sync, but it works very well.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Not the way I read it...

Security firm FireEye Inc. discovered the attacks against IE 10 this week, saying that hundreds or thousands of machines have been infected. It said the culprits broke into the website of U.S. Veterans of Foreign Wars and inserted a link that redirected visitors to a malicious web page that contained the infectious code in Adobe Systems Inc.’s Flash software.

It's because of infected Flash code.

I have a lot of compatiablity issues with every browser. Internet Explorer sometimes is the worst.

I find Google Chrome to be the browser with less issues. I also find that Chrome performs better on Android than IE does on Windows Phone.

Yeah, that's the biggest problem with how Microsoft does IE on mobile. Chrome is default these days, but it's still another app. They can upgrade it more.

I think IE's problem was several versions ago. Back in the day IE didn't have competition, and it was pretty bad. When other options came along users switched for a better experience. Since other browsers such as Firefox, Opera, and Chrome have come on the scene Microsoft has really stepped up their game with IE. The last couple versions are very good. It still lacks plugins & sync, but it works very well.

Yeah, lack of sync can be annoying.

fawzib

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
As a web developer, IE is a nightmare. It is always the case that the website application works perfectly in every browser but looks odd on IE. We then start writing special css and custom javascripts directed to IE to make it work. It then became a standard and common to hate IE regardless of what ever improvement they do. It will always feel lackluster, buggy or broken.

I tried to use it for a while, almost half of the websites didn't work properly (some third class websites with tons of ads and popups). In short, it always fails... maybe for mainstream websites it works great.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I never seem to have issues developing for IE, Chrome and Safari. 99.9% of the time everything between the latest browers always seem to work. Now I remember the days of Netscape and IE, that was a nightmare.

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
As a web developer, IE is a nightmare. It is always the case that the website application works perfectly in every browser but looks odd on IE. We then start writing special css and custom javascripts directed to IE to make it work. It then became a standard and common to hate IE regardless of what ever improvement they do. It will always feel lackluster, buggy or broken.

I tried to use it for a while, almost half of the websites didn't work properly (some third class websites with tons of ads and popups). In short, it always fails... maybe for mainstream websites it works great.

thanks for the dev input. This is a major problem, I can't see why MS wouldn't correct this. If devs don't use the browser (or develop for it) then it won't ever be able to win market share.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I switched over to IE when I started using Win8.1 on a touch hybrid system. Chrome just doesn't work well with touch and high dpi displays.

And as a developer I have no issues between IE and Chrome. I'm not sure where all the difficulty is coming from.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I try to use IE as much as possible. IE 10 and 11 have been huge improvements. But there are problems with it that make me scratch my head. For instance, when I used remote desktop on my surface pro for the first time, IE blocked/hid some popups that required acknowledgement. I could get it to work regardless what I changed in the settings and security. As soon as I downloaded chrome, no problems. I could check off the boxes, trust the sites, etc...and move along with my business. I'm aggravated that my MS browser couldn't finalize my connection using my MS application on my MS tablet. That, imo, is unsat.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

Would you say third party sites, smaller sites, have a problem because of IE or because people are starting to code more to quirks? We know that Firefox is catering to WebKit quirks, so there's that. Opera has Blink, which is WebKit with some changes, and so does Chrome. Safari has normal WebKit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6