Skype Today is Unimaginative and Unnatural

mrzees

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone doesn't own Skype as Blackberry does BBM or iOS does there iMessenger. Microsoft knows that windows phone users are clamouring for a integrated skype, very much like what MS tried to do with the initial launch of the Windows Phone 7.1 Platform. To a certain extent Skype should be the default messenger for windows phone, yet its disaggregation and cluttered presentation on windows phone is mindboggling when considering How much time has passed with skype on windows phone.

I was intrigued by the initial attempt to bake Skype into the WP7.5 OS. Though it was a failure, it provided great insight into what Skype could be on the windows phone platform. Fast-forward through WP7.8, WP8.0 (updates 1, 2 &3) and now approaching WP8.1 (blue). Windows Phone users are still waiting for a comparable experience on their WP platform that is present with BMM and iMessenger on aforementioned OSes.

Having heavily used Skype on both my Surface 2 and Lumia 920, mainly to call relatives living abroad, I have appreciated very little. The battery efficiency and improvement in call quality are as positive as I can get. What remains a sore point of Skype is its unintuitive UI.
  • No matter the update, because Skype is a disaggregated app and not a system baked, there exists extremely long launch and resume times when accessing the app.
  • Unlike the conventional separation of the call log and messaging hub, Skype confuses users by joining chat messages (sent and received), call started, call missed and video messages all into one scrollable tab labelled 'CHAT'. I'm not saying that there isn't some convenience of having all my contacts' history regarding in its present configuration but Skype doesn't allow for a free flowing and easy to follow history of a sms chat that is present on SMS alternatives such as Whatsapp and SMS/Call services such as Viber.
  • Skype severely limits the chat history that can be accessed. This is frustrating at best, and a far cry different from what is natural in the messaging hub where there is a free flow of
  • Skype inefficiently uses the live tile functionality of the OS, especially the large tile (Almost all competing SMS/chat app has this problem)
  • Skype's calls work flawlessly, but access to your contact list from the dialling pad on Skype is non-existent. Ideally I should be able to make a skype call from my 'people hub' contact list, but even if it can't be done, the least the intelligent people at skype could have done was include access to the contact list from skype's dialling menu. Many skype users have alternate phone numbers, that aren't attached to their skype profile. If I don't actually commit these numbers to memory, I have the arduous task of moving back and forth from the people hub to the skype dial screen. I could find better ways of showcasing the multitasking abilities of WP8.
  • Tell Me can't even dial using skype. e.g. "Skype - Dial Ressa"
  • Skype is unlike Office on WP is way behind its counterparts on competing OS'es

Skype does not even have a handful of compelling features that suggest it is worth full integration into the WP8.1 yet, WP users see its potential and clamour for it. I only hope Microsoft can make its 7.1 Billion Dollar investment worthwhile to its growing WP users. The current trend has been to slowly disaggregate once integrated features. Skype in 2011 and FB exclusion/optional from the messaging hub in upcoming WP8.1. More so, skype has done very little to pretend to be an alternative to SMS much like whatsapp and viber have been able to do and remains crudely orchastrated into the wp8 framework. Great Expectations.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
he has a number of valid points, not sure what your issue is

I don't know what your issue is. Skype does what it does on this platform and will continue to do that until such time that changes. It works well for me for what I need it for but its not about me. Skype has to be integrated into this OS and why this is news to anyone is surprising to me. There isn't anything Microsoft has ever implemented that did not have this same implementation curve. It always takes time and sometimes a long time to make changes because of deep integration and that is done for security reasons. So if i seems unnatural to the OP and to you, you have not spent a lot of time with Microsoft. This is par for the course. I've been waiting for this version of WP since I arrived on the platform with WP 7. It took a few years to get here but its finally here.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what your issue is. Skype does what it does on this platform and will continue to do that until such time that changes. It works well for me for what I need it for but its not about me. Skype has to be integrated into this OS and why this is news to anyone is surprising to me. There isn't anything Microsoft has ever implemented that did not have this same implementation curve. It always takes time and sometimes a long time to make changes because of deep integration and that is done for security reasons. So if i seems unnatural to the OP and to you, you have not spent a lot of time with Microsoft. This is par for the course. I've been waiting for this version of WP since I arrived on the platform with WP 7. It took a few years to get here but its finally here.

Everyone can just say "so says you" in reply to your comment as well. No one was arguing about what's natural or unnatural. But if you think Microsoft should always have the same development curve then maybe you've spent too much time with Microsoft. Skype does what it does - drain battery, mess up notifications and operate very slowly. It may work well for you and you're right it's not about you, everyone has different expectations. No one is arguing that the app shouldn't be integrated eventually into the OS. But if OS integration is taking too long, they can afford to make some changes to make the app more competitive and compelling to use. Otherwise this is another great potential feature that was pissed away.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Everyone can just say "so says you" in reply to your comment as well. No one was arguing about what's natural or unnatural. But if you think Microsoft should always have the same development curve then maybe you've spent too much time with Microsoft. Skype does what it does - drain battery, mess up notifications and operate very slowly. It may work well for you and you're right it's not about you, everyone has different expectations. No one is arguing that the app shouldn't be integrated eventually into the OS. But if OS integration is taking too long, they can afford to make some changes to make the app more competitive and compelling to use. Otherwise this is another great potential feature that was pissed away.
Seems you did by involving yourself in this as if you want to correct me. Besides, the OP made that point in the title. I didn't intend to hurt feelings but if I hurt your sensibilities, forgive me. Wasn't my intention. The reality is, and the pattern has been that MS takes whatever time it needs to update or deliver on a concept. I've learned that my being impatient with them doesn't affect their operation one wit. So if it is something you need to use to make calls for free in the meantime, those options exist. I suggest using those in the meantime. Skype will improve...in time.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Seems you did by involving yourself in this as if you want to correct me. Besides, the OP made that point in the title. I didn't intend to hurt feelings but if I hurt your sensibilities, forgive me. Wasn't my intention. The reality is, and the pattern has been that MS takes whatever time it needs to update or deliver on a concept. I've learned that my being impatient with them doesn't affect their operation one wit. So if it is something you need to use to make calls for free in the meantime, those options exist. I suggest using those in the meantime. Skype will improve...in time.
I thought by saying "says you" you were trying to say that the comments of the OP were not valid. If I misinterpreted that my apologies.
On a slightly unrelated note, I keep reading your comments with Idris Elba's voice, which gives them more weight than my own arguments. Stop cheating!

mrzees

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
When I referred to the unnaturalness, I was highlighting how much better the app can be. It has immense potential yet it isn't being visibly realised because of some of the setbacks I mentioned. Maybe I was trying to be as objective as possible. I use Skype a lot. Most of what I mentioned comes from my personal perception of what a user friendly skype should be like. That's not to say I can't be criticized. I am not satisfied with the development of Skype into the OS. Sure my expectations are probably what is 'unnatural' but I do think most of what I'm bashing and ranting about has to do with the Skype's UI. Are there poorly implemented features in ChatOn, bbm, viber, etc. Sure! But I use skype and and windows phone. Skype is not a deal breaker, but it sure as hell could be for potential WP8 adopters who are on the fence.

In Skype's present form it doesn't allow itself to be a daily driver for my SMS needs. Something that it should do well. Demographic wise I find that more older people use skype as means of video chatting with loved ones abroad. These older users aren't technologically savvy to know of other alternatives. What would be useful is a skype that appeals to the younger user-base. My mother uses Skype, my niece uses whatsapp. Point is skype could be good at what it does and be good at what whatsapp does.

Last edited:

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
It has potential, but at the moment the App is just plain poor, and that seems to be the general consensus on it.

If they don't pull finger soon, people will jump to another App. Then they'll stay there, simple as that.

burnabite

May 13, 2014
Visit site
It has potential, but at the moment the App is just plain poor, and that seems to be the general consensus on it.

If they don't pull finger soon, people will jump to another App. Then they'll stay there, simple as that.

I completely agree. Skype has so much potential to be the frontrunner for WP 8.1 messaging and video chat. If only Microsoft would modernize and overhaul the interface for a smartphone.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
On WP8.1, you can use Cortana to call someone on Skype.

If I linked to a contact in my phone his Skype account, I can say," Call [..] on Skype" and everything goes as expected.

jacksonking112

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Skype's calls work flawlessly, but access to your contact list from the dialling pad on Skype is non-existent. Ideally I should be able to make a skype call from my 'people hub' contact list, but even if it can't be done, the least the intelligent people at skype could have done was include access to the contact list from skype's dialling menu.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon