Discussion: kill off Internet Explorer

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I often see these jokes on FB/often shared from 9gag and it's so easy to tell who hasn't used IE10 or higher. I agree them, it was quite bad until IE9, but nowadays I wouldn't go back to Firefox (let alone Chrome) unless you paid me to do that.

And it's easy to win these arguments cos it's so obvious they havn't actually used it and are talking about what the situation was 10 years ago :D

SinisterDuck

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
With a rebranded IE, I can foresee the technorati saying "It's just IE with a new name!" And they'll still belittle it. They don't care if it's better. They just dislike Microsoft.

birgs

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Chrome is my number 1, then after Firefox updated i always use Firefox, Than chrome. i always use internet explorer too.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah ok, I might have formulated it wrong. What I'm talking about is a "symbolic" killing off of Internet Explorer. To please the crowd. When (automatically) updated, another new, fresh browser, that's basically Internet Explorer 12, starts of fresh with a clean slate and no bad image. Wouldn't that be a win-win situation? The experts/hipsters don't have IE to hate on anymore, average users will stay with IE or have the browser update automatically and Microsoft would lose the bad image of IE.

Like Outlook.com! Hotmail wasn't a very strong brand, but they very quickly updated it to Outlook, and Outlook is doing pretty well. It felt, fresh, a new start. I think Microsoft could pull this off with Internet Explorer as well.

They already did the "clean slate" thing with IE9 by deciding to focus on standards and speed, they don't need to do that again any time soon. Not only that but starting with a clean slate and then calling it IE12 isn't starting with a clean slate, is it?

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
They already did the "clean slate" thing with IE9 by deciding to focus on standards and speed, they don't need to do that again any time soon. Not only that but starting with a clean slate and then calling it IE12 isn't starting with a clean slate, is it?

No, I didn't say it should be named Internet Explorer 12, but that it would it basically be that, but with another name. I'd name it something flashy or in line with Bing or something.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
No, I didn't say it should be named Internet Explorer 12, but that it would it basically be that, but with another name. I'd name it something flashy or in line with Bing or something.

Well we will have to disagree, there's nothing wrong with the IE name except it's perception by so called experts. Your "webdev-friends" sound, to me at least, like they have no knowledge of the area they are supposed to have expertise in. As a web developer you don't just test using one or two browsers but in the three, four if you include Opera, major browsers that are available.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Well we will have to disagree, there's nothing wrong with the IE name except it's perception by so called experts. Your "webdev-friends" sound, to me at least, like they have no knowledge of the area they are supposed to have expertise in. As a web developer you don't just test using one or two browsers but in the three, four if you include Opera, major browsers that are available.

Especially one with 60% of the market share.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I use IE. I do not like using firefox or chrome. If you want to take IE away from me, you'll have to pull it out of my cold dead hands.
Now go back to trying to take something else away from someone else. Thanks!

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree. People just have a hate towards IE, even my non-techie friends hate it and bad talk it. The name also sounds awful and not very cool. I mean, Chrome and Firefox ARE good names. C'mon guys...

Sachidananddubey83

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
The Internet explorer in the preview for developers version in windows phone 8.1 has become disgusting. It cant open the websites which it supported to open in previous versions.

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Let's not let this discussion slip into a "I do use Internet Explorer and I like it and here's why"-discussion. I don't dislike Internet Explorer, really, I don't, but we can all agree Internet Explorer has an image problem, right? Do you guys (talking to the hardcore fans now) really think the brand "Internet Explorer" will ever be on par with "Google Chrome" again?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Let's not let this discussion slip into a "I do use Internet Explorer and I like it and here's why"-discussion. I don't dislike Internet Explorer, really, I don't, but we can all agree Internet Explorer has an image problem, right? Do you guys (talking to the hardcore fans now) really think the brand "Internet Explorer" will ever be on par with "Google Chrome" again?

Don't speak for everyone, we certainly don't "all agree" that IE has an image problem. It's a perception issue with so called "experts" who haven't bothered to use it since IE4, 5 & 6.

Last edited:

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

Again, your "web-dev" friends are not representative of the entire population and, frankly, they could think that IE is the spawn of Satan for all I care, but since the masses have determined that it is good enough, then changing the brand will do nothing since, as I said earlier, people just use what browser comes with their computer. If hell freezes over and we all use Chromebooks, then what would having a hip, new browser even do? People would still use Chrome. Since people use what browser comes with their computers, the battle for browsers is just a side battle of the platform wars.

Novron

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
"Webdevs" have a worse reputation in my book than anything else on the internet. Most of them are lazy and won't follow proper coding protocols. They want to identify by user agent strings and walk away. Sloppy and lazy. Still have a major problem with insistence on Flash which nobody supports anymore.

Renan Gallardo

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree. People just have a hate towards IE, even my non-techie friends hate it and bad talk it. The name also sounds awful and not very cool. I mean, Chrome and Firefox ARE good names. C'mon guys...

Seriously?... The name Internet Explorer basically does what its name is... How in the world is Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Opera even related to the internet?...

The image problem comes from sheep, ants, bandwagoners that doesn't know any better... I wouldn't even consider someone a developer if he/she considers the Internet Explorer now to be inferior the other browsers...

Microsoft should really consider having a restriction within the OS on running other browsers...

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
The image problem comes from sheep, ants, bandwagoners that doesn't know any better... I wouldn't even consider someone a developer if he/she considers the Internet Explorer now to be inferior the other browsers...

Yeah, fair enough, the image isn't true. I get that. But Internet Explorer DOES have the bad image. And I'm not just talking about like, the three webdev friends I have, but all of them. I honestly don't know anyone who's using Internet Explorer these days anymore. It's always the little Chrome icon on the taskbar, sometimes Firefox, but I never, ever see the E anymore. I don't think these people exactly know why they switched from Internet Explorer, but the fact remains they did. Probably because someone told them it sucks. Now I know, this isn't representative for other social circles I'm not in and other countries I don't live, but I'm kinda scared this will become a global phenomenon. The internet is pretty global, and the internet is pretty darn negative about IE...

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, fair enough, the image isn't true. I get that. But Internet Explorer DOES have the bad image. And I'm not just talking about like, the three webdev friends I have, but all of them. I honestly don't know anyone who's using Internet Explorer these days anymore. It's always the little Chrome icon on the taskbar, sometimes Firefox, but I never, ever see the E anymore. I don't think these people exactly know why they switched from Internet Explorer, but the fact remains they did. Probably because someone told them it sucks. Now I know, this isn't representative for other social circles I'm not in and other countries I don't live, but I'm kinda scared this will become a global phenomenon. The internet is pretty global, and the internet is pretty darn negative about IE...

Yet the facts say otherwise... Compared to last year, IE's market share has actually gone up. At least on the charts I've seen. As a matter of fact, to show you how meaningless anecdotes are, I'm looking around me in the library and I see 6 people on IE and one on Chrome and one on Firefox.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett