Discussion: kill off Internet Explorer

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Yet the facts say otherwise... Compared to last year, IE's market share has actually gone up. At least on the charts I've seen. As a matter of fact, to show you how meaningless anecdotes are, I'm looking around me in the library and I see 6 people on IE and one on Chrome and one on Firefox.

Well because it's the default browser, and there are many people who don't know how to install another browser. They think it's their only choice.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Well because it's the default browser, and there are many people who don't know how to install another browser. They think it's their only choice.

I disagree. If someone was truly dissatisfied with IE, they know how to go to Google and type in "browser not internet explorer". I imagine that since IE just works for most people, they just don't bother. I mean, really.... What advantage is there for Chrome or FF to a person who just wants to browse facebook?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I disagree. If someone was truly dissatisfied with IE, they know how to go to Google and type in "browser not internet explorer". I imagine that since IE just works for most people, they just don't bother. I mean, really.... What advantage is there for Chrome or FF to a person who just wants to browse facebook?
People who use computers in a library usually go there because they don't have computers at home. They typically are not the most tech-savvy individuals.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
People who use computers in a library usually go there because they don't have computers at home. They typically are not the most tech-savvy individuals.

True. But tech-savvy or not, they're still people. They still count toward market share. They're still a developer's "customers". Technically, a tech savvy person would be more likely to use Linux, but that doesn't mean that most programs don't target a PC first (and sometimes only) or make its market share irrelevant.

Last edited:

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site

In the UK (and I think Europe as well), the first time you use the internet it runs an app called Browser Choice, it shows all the main browsers and you select the one you want to use, this then gets installed for you and set as default
I cant remember the full reasons, but it was something to do with MS having the advantage of having IE preinstalled as part of Windows, other browsers had to get an equal opportunity at being the default, so an option has to be given on what browser you want

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
In the UK (and I think Europe as well), the first time you use the internet it runs an app called Browser Choice, it shows all the main browsers and you select the one you want to use, this then gets installed for you and set as default
I cant remember the full reasons, but it was something to do with MS having the advantage of having IE preinstalled as part of Windows, other browsers had to get an equal opportunity at being the default, so an option has to be given on what browser you want

That is correct with one exception, Windows RT, which can't run x86 based software and so is exempt from running the Browser Choice app.

I would also add that the main reason to use IE, particularly if you own a Windows Phone, is that favourites, tabs, usernames and passwords all sync between devices. I have a Windows 8.1 Pro desktop, Surface RT and a Windows Phone running the 8.1 preview and all the above synced data is available to me on all those devices.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
So what I got from the OP is. If a name is tainted we need to kill off the tainted name and reconstruct a new name/system in order to gain popularity.

So basically after Hitler tainted the Germany name. The U.S should have killed off all Germans and constructed new breed of Germans through DNA splicing and cloning.

I really don't understand the point of this thread.

And I apologize if I offend anyone with the above example but my point stands that killing off something that is tainted and reconstructing a new one is not how it works.

Its not a building. When a building is condemned, its torn down and a new building erects.

inb4 thread closed.

adtst3

May 12, 2014
Visit site
So what I got from the OP is. If a name is tainted we need to kill off the tainted name and reconstruct a new name/system in order to gain popularity.

So basically after Hitler tainted the Germany name. The U.S should have killed off all Germans and constructed new breed of Germans through DNA splicing and cloning.

And I apologize if I offend anyone with the above example but my point stands that killing off something that is tainted and reconstructing a new one is not how it works.

Its not a building. When a building is condemned, its torn down and a new building erects.

inb4 thread closed.

Did you just compare Internet Explorer to Hitler?

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site

inb4 thread closed.

Wow. Did not expect that comparison. I think it's kind of an unfair comparison too, unless you think technical services are the same thing as nationalities. And killing something off to make place for a fresh, better replacement has happened before, actually. Microsoft killed off Hotmail in favor of Outlook, Windows Live Search for Bing. Google killed Google Buzz to make place for Google Plus. Sometimes this tactic works, sometimes it doesn't. I think Internet Explorer is a perfect example of a service that would benefit from this tactic.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo