Heres an ACTUAL USER guide on FIXING XBOX MUSIC

deezus

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I have been expressing my frustration and displeasure of the Xbox music app, a feeling I've had ever since leaving Zune software and going to windows 8/ WP 8. Ive recently been contacted by someone at MS and while I wont go into what was said I was lead to believe MS is actually listening to ex and present Zuners and cares about how upset we are with the new Xbox music app and its continuing disappointingly basic service I am actually paying for, going on my 5th year or more. So, if you, MS are listening, I'm gonna give you a few suggestions that would improve your music app.
Mind you, these are not everything just a few things I miss about your previous music software. These suggestions apply to phones tablets and PC's.
1-Please fix your music sorting system. Right now, I have no idea what music I own, what I'm subscribing too, what I've ripped because of your cloud matching service has matched some songs I own but not all and changed the artwork. It would be nice to have a set up program with the final app. It could take me through the process by scanning my music collection, telling me what music I have purchased and own through your service, tell me what is in my personal collection like ripped cds and music I bought from other sources and most importantly MUSIC IVE DOWNLOADED AND IM SUBSCRIBING TO THROUGH YOUR SERVICE. It would also be nice if it showed every song I've subscribed to that I marked as a favorite WITH THE HEART. Then setup could ask me if I wanted to cloud match my personal collection OR STORE THEM IN THE CLOUD WITH ONE DRIVE. All this was standard with the Zune software.(everything but one drive storage)
2-Please allow multiple track purchase or whole playlists at once, the one song at a time purchasing is so 2002, your better than this. I used to select multiple tracks for purchase and the way I would know what tracks or albums to purchase was... you guessed it, THE HEART I USED TO MARK THEM. Let me give you an example, I would download an album at home from new releases on Zune, go to the gym listen to the album and mark the tracks I liked best with a heart then when I got home I would PURCHASE THOSE SONGS OR THE WHOLE ALBUM, POINT IS I KNEW WHAT SONGS IF ANY I LIKED ENOUGH TO BUY.
3-Please allow Xbox music to suggest music I might like based on the artists I like and types of music I like, this was such a compelling feature of Zune. Now every music service has copied this. In addition your music store should look a lot like your app store which I'm a fan of.
3-The related tab needs artists and influences and more of them.
4-And finally a Screensaver, this is a windows OS and lack of a SS is inexcusable. One thing I miss about the htc one was the beautiful screensaver it played while listening to music. It worked well while my phone was on its mount and I went on long drives.... it would be nice to have a Zune like one, you could call it classic or something. Oh another Zune did was when you looked at an artists albums it had the option of showing music that you had access to and all the albums by the artist even if Zune didn't have them, which was a music lovers dream. It really felt like a music app and not just a cold service selling you music.

I'm going to try to remain hopeful and optimistic that your listening as your contact told me so hopefully you can take these suggestions and use them as these are some of the features your loyal fan base want and I also welcome any other things ex zuners or music lovers have to say because believe me I want you to succeed.
Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I would suggest contacting Microsoft directly and telling them your suggestions, since WPCentral is not part of Microsoft.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I got a novel idea...........

Why not just bring back Zune,built a quality movie app and keep Xbox for games?

Why does everything have to go through Xbox?

Mac

deezus

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I got a novel idea...........

Why not just bring back Zune,built a quality movie app and keep Xbox for games?

Why does everything have to go through Xbox?

Mac

This would be awesome but because of all the negativity associated with the Zune hardware that wont happen, but they could always implement the features.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Well couldn't they just build a app called Zune that did everything the original did with today's hardware. They still offer Zune software .

Mac

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Are one of the rules "thou shalt not be too critical of Microsoft's native applications (like Xbox Music) ?" I used to see a lot of posts in the general forums area and now they have all been relegated to way down the page in the Xbox Music forums. This topic gets far and away the most comments both here and in the Microsoft Communities. If this is the top concern of readers don't you have an obligation to allow them to voice their concerns wherever the heck they think that it might best produce some results?? I am tired of hearing that they are aware of our concerns and that we should be patient while they address the problem. Why not just bring back the music service that wasn't broke to begin with?????

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Are one of the rules "thou shalt not be too critical of Microsoft's native applications (like Xbox Music) ?" I used to see a lot of posts in the general forums area and now they have all been relegated to way down the page in the Xbox Music forums. This topic gets far and away the most comments both here and in the Microsoft Communities. If this is the top concern of readers don't you have an obligation to allow them to voice their concerns wherever the heck they think that it might best produce some results?? I am tired of hearing that they are aware of our concerns and that we should be patient while they address the problem. Why not just bring back the music service that wasn't broke to begin with?????

Because if they did,they would have to admit failure to some extent,and they are not about to do that...cause someone would lose their jobs 😊

No........they will keep stalling and promising they care, when with this issue they just can't figure out how to make it work properly.

Mac

deezus

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
At this point I just want the ability to sort music by what I own and what I'm subscribing to so I can sort out my my collection. Then I'm gonna move on from Xbox music as I'm tired of fake updates with no useful or cool features. Hopefully, with win9, Amazon will release a music app. I'm almost done with WP now, I love it but the lack of a music app pisses me off.

Simon Gregory

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
This is interesting that they contacted you on this. The problem is this has happened before. I don't know if anybody remembers dmmontal's 'Master List of Issues' MS answers forum thread that he posted around the time of the WP7-WP8 transition. They contacted him to say that they were working on all the concerns that he had organised nicely in a structured list, accompanied hundreds of comments underneath with people agreeing with them. After they told him they've taken it to heart and were indeed working on them, he agreed in return to let them close the thread.

So what's happened nearly two years later? Nothing really in any of the GDR updates and then now we have the abysmal WP8-> WP8.1 'upgrade'.
There are undoubtedly many people at MS who agree with what the problems are But the there are clearly serious resource constraints on the dept involved and lots of management instruction to be 'cloud centric'.
The difference with Zune was that the design paradigm was clearly 'music centric' and what a stark difference that has proven to be.

So I would also add everything listed here to your list:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...c-on-wp8/b1c64834-de43-4af6-8069-4626090289a3
Anything look familiar?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro