Best Upgrade Options for Office 2013

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

So I recently shifted jobs and the corporate environment where I now work is already using Microsoft Office 2013 across the board (which shocked me, I know many places still using Office 2007). As a result, I figured it was time to look at upgrading to Office 2013 on my personal devices but am confused by all of the options available to me. As a college student, I have in the past always opted to buy a CD for Microsoft Office Professional at the discounted student price which enabled me to install the software on multiple computers with multiple accounts.

Fast forward to today, I'm not sure what the best option is with all of the subscription possibilities available. I am still a student so I would like to seek out academic discounts available to me. Additionally, I am looking to install Office 2013 on my personal laptop and two personal desktop computers (both desktop computers are shared by two separate Microsoft accounts [one is mine, the other a family members]).

I utilize Microsoft Access, so I would need the "Professional" option or whatever includes the full suite for Microsoft Office applications, what is the best route for me?

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

So I recently shifted jobs and the corporate environment where I now work is already using Microsoft Office 2013 across the board (which shocked me, I know many places still using Office 2007). As a result, I figured it was time to look at upgrading to Office 2013 on my personal devices but am confused by all of the options available to me. As a college student, I have in the past always opted to buy a CD for Microsoft Office Professional at the discounted student price which enabled me to install the software on multiple computers with multiple accounts.

Fast forward to today, I'm not sure what the best option is with all of the subscription possibilities available. I am still a student so I would like to seek out academic discounts available to me. Additionally, I am looking to install Office 2013 on my personal laptop and two personal desktop computers (both desktop computers are shared by two separate Microsoft accounts [one is mine, the other a family members]).

I utilize Microsoft Access, so I would need the "Professional" option or whatever includes the full suite for Microsoft Office applications, what is the best route for me?

As you are a student, your college/university may have a Microsoft Dreamspark account. You can get the Office apps from Pro versions in there for free, such as Access, Visio, and I think Publisher. You have to supply your own Student and Teacher (or whatever they call it these days) version of Office for Word, Excel and Powerpoint, which you should be able to get at a substantial discount if you go through the right outlets. Have a hunt on Microsoft's website for that.

If your college/uni has a Premium subscription, you can bag yourself operating systems for free as well, and Visual Studio. Not essential to your situation but worth knowing.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Some schools provide a volume license copy for student use. You may wish to check to see if this is the case with your school. However, even if there is, you may not be able to install it on all 3 computers or it may be a subscription that would be limited to yourself. Different universities provide different options; check with your computer department.
If you wish to purchase a subscription on your own, Office 365 University is inexpensive but it is limited to 2 computers and a single user. The most viable option is likely Office 365 Home. There won't be a student discount but at least you will be able to install it on all 3 computers and have up to 4 family members be able to use it.

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
As you are a student, your college/university may have a Microsoft Dreamspark account. You can get the Office apps from Pro versions in there for free, such as Access, Visio, and I think Publisher. You have to supply your own Student and Teacher (or whatever they call it these days) version of Office for Word, Excel and Powerpoint, which you should be able to get at a substantial discount if you go through the right outlets. Have a hunt on Microsoft's website for that.

If your college/uni has a Premium subscription, you can bag yourself operating systems for free as well, and Visual Studio. Not essential to your situation but worth knowing.

Thank you for pointing this out, I do realize these potential offers. However, I work in the IT department for my college and as far as I am aware we only offer discounted Microsoft products rather than free versions of the software (many are mac oriented at my institution :eck:). As far as I can tell my options are to either get the Office 365 University package which is $79.99 for four years. This appears to be an installation for two computers for one individual. Or I can get Office 365 Home which can be installed for 5 pcs/5 users. However, this ends up costing nearly $479 for four years.

Obviously it seems Office 365 University is the best route for me, but I'm not sure how that personal installation works on a desktop shared by two separate Microsoft account holders. For example, if I decide to only buy Office for my personal use: on my laptop and for my account on a desktop at home, can my family members simply not access the installation of Office 2013? (Basically would that mean that both Office 2010 and 2013 are installed on the same computer for separate users? It just seems a little off).

Any clarification is appreciated as to how Office is tied to accounts. I really like the idea that I can have Office 2013 for four years (the latest version across those years at that) for only $79.99, seems pretty cheap; but I don't know how to handle the desktop situation at home then.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I should think with Office365 when you login with the main account on the website you can add the other Microsoft accounts as additional users and it should let them in with no issues. I've never used 365 so I couldn't say for certain - but that seems the most logical approach to it.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Office 365 Home can be found for $69/yr (@ Amazon) total of $276 for 4 years. 5 PCs/Macs + 5 Tablets. As stated earlier Office 365 University for $79/4-yrs 1 PC/Mac + 1 Tablet.

It is working very well in our household. 4 PCs/Macs and 2 iPads. It is quite nice to have a full-function office suite that is nearly 100% compatible across devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786