I have a dream that one day Windows and Skype will sit down at the table of brotherhood.

Blake Seaman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Skype integration into the Windows ecosystem is not bad, nor laughably bad. It simply doesn't exist. Skype exists within the ecosystem, but integration is something that has not been achieved; however, I have a wonderful image for it that I am curious if anyone else shares.

When I moved my mother over to WP (at her request after playing with mine) she was elated with the platform; but the most immediate issue we found was imessaging. She had come from an iphone, and just about everyone she knew had one as well. She couldn't receive any messages because the iphones that were sending them still though she did too (fundamentalists rarely react well to converts). There is much conversation about turning Skype into a similar service that is integrated in a similar way that imessage is, but I see so much more potential.

Skype is a platform that can already be used as a buffer between phones. The problem with messaging apps is that the other person has to use the app as well. But the thought occurs to me that with Skype, you don't have to worry about that, because of the Skype credit system; and that is where crossplatform support becomes stinking cool.

I text my boss (with integrated Skype) from my phone, then when I sit at my desk all of those messages show up in a universal "Skype" messaging service on my desktop. You can technically do this right now, but to have that turn into a fluid experience that allows you to seamlessly align it with your already existing text service would be wonderful.

I think that the logistical effort working with carriers would be enormous, but by god there is a market here that Microsoft could dominate, and shake up just about every market-space out there. At least that Is my thinking.What do y'all think? How would that work, or how would it not?

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
sadly, the People hub won't integrate deeply with social networks anymore as Windows Phone is going towards integration via apps (cmiiw)
we can only hope Microsoft sort the below-par Facebook and Skype app in near future

by the way, in WP 8.1 you can video call via People hub if you have installed Skype

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
sadly, the People hub won't integrate deeply with social networks anymore as Windows Phone is going towards integration via apps (cmiiw)
we can only hope Microsoft sort the below-par Facebook and Skype app in near future

by the way, in WP 8.1 you can video call via People hub if you have installed Skype

Which is why Twitter is fully integrated with the People hub?

Just because they changed integration which removed existing functionality doesn't mean they won't add it back later with the new integration.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Skype integration makes sense to me. And MS would do well to focus on this, or services like BBM might steal their thunder. BBM is (supposedly) coming to WP this year and is already available on iOS, Android, and obviously BlackBerry.

The advantage Skype has over BBM and just about every other IM type service right now is its desktop clients for Windows, Mac, and even Linux. Easily start a conversation on your laptop and finish it on your smartphone - any smartphone - without a hitch.
Posted from my Nokia Lumia 822 using Tapatalk

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I would love for Skype to become an iMessage for windows phone. Its one of the things I wish msft would do but hasn't :/

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo