X amount of devices

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I went for the Music pass, so far so good, haven't had a lot of time to play with it, but I noticed you can use it on 4 devices, does that include an Xbox One as one of those.

I have a 1520, Surface Pro, laptop and desktop plus the Xbox One, the Xbox One is only a streaming service, so it's the others that would download.

Haven't set the desktop up with the music pass yet, but that is where all my local music is stored and it would make sense to use it on that as well so I can access all my ripped CD's across the devices as well.

Bob

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Seems the answer is the Xbox One doesn't count against the device list, so I have added my desktop to the music pass.

I am still getting my head around this, especially about how to work with my local music, and syncing across devices, I would prefer to get this right before I steam in and share everything across all devices.

I could be some time :sweaty:

Bob

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
It must be down to expectations, but from what I can see so far this is brilliant, I go to my laptop start Xbox Music, search for one of the most obscure British bands and then find the album I last heard maybe as long ago as the late seventies, I click play it plays, I click add and it downloads the songs, at the same time my desktop, Surface and 1520 are all downloading the same album, I then go on the Xbox One and there is my album and it's playing as I type.

I have read through a lot of posts about Xbox Music, and all I can say is my experience is really good.

The only setting I don't have turned on yet is "Auto add matched songs on this PC to your cloud collection", I will try that later, but so far it's doing everything I wanted and expected it to do, all the music I wanted on all my devices available at any time, OK it does mean I have to stay with the music pass, but if it's this good I wont have a problem with that.

By the way the album was "The Old Straight Track" by a spin off of the band Lindisfarne called "Jack the Lad", a folk rock band from the seventies that not a lot of people have heard of.

Bob

busngabb

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I like it too. Those who are very vocal with criticism of it don't usually have a coherent argument against it other that it's not Zune and it's rubbish.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes, if you just stick with what's available in Xbox music, it works fine. The issue is when you tried to use your own collection with it. Xbox music tags stuff however it wants and there really is no easy way to fix anything from the app. I had over 10k music tracks that I had collected over the years. Everything was well tagged and labeled how I wanted it. Xbox music got ahold of it and destroyed it.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I think it is the matching of your local music that seems to be one of the problems, but as far as I can see you can filter on all the devices by cloud or local so your local collection is still working so it pays for example if you are a fan of Led Zeppelin to have your local copies on each device, that way its all playable (Well it is for me).

I admit I haven't fully figured it all out yet, but I am impressed, and as said, maybe it's down to expectations but so far I am very pleased with the results, it seems like you just need to think about it a bit more and maybe not expect it to the same as other programs.

Bit like Windows 8/8.1 I suppose, sometimes you need to give up on old ways of doing things and just go with it, and if an old luddite like me can cope :devil:

Bob

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05