Very Interesting Issue with Xbox music

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
So, the most recent update with XBM actually fixed a lot of things for me and things were going smoothly. However, scouring my library, I found some missing album art in one of my favorite bands. So, I removed the albums from my phone, and tagged them properly. Before I put them back, I checked my library for similar issues so I could do it all at once, and the music I took off was still on there, even after I closed off the app and reopened it several times. Checking my SD card (and I don't store music on my phone proper, it wouldn't all fit anyway), I found that they were indeed not present as files. Even worse, when I reloaded the songs back on my phone, attempting to play them caused the app to crash.

Saying 'screw this,' I completely formatted and wiped the SD card because ain't nobody got time for this. Figured I'd start with a clean SD card and just re add everything after they've been properly tagged. Opening XBM again to make sure the process went smoothly, it shows ALL MY MUSIC STILL LOADED IN THE LIBRARY. What? I check the SD card and there is indeed nothing on it, both through storage check and my computer, as it should be. Figured the app was lagging (I have cloud music turned off. Period.) so I closed and reopened it, only to find the music still there. I attempted to play a song and lo and behold, the song plays. WHAT? There is NO MUSIC on the phone, no cloud storage, and it is still able to find the music and play it? It wasn't even a recent play either. Tested this for other songs as well.

I think I created infinite storage, because there is no way this should be happening. After about half an hour though, I loaded all my music back properly, there's just a perpetual black screen after selecting artists or any category. Soft and Hard resets aren't weren't doing the job and a factory reset was out of the question. So, Music Hub Tile for me until an update fixes this, no problems at all.

But just for my own curiosity, what happened? What can explain the app reading and playing something that isn't there?

Commander Fresh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem that you have. It seems that after the app reads the music you have, it doesn't update the information beyond that should you delete your music. I went back to the songs tab in the app, hit select all, and deleted all the songs one more time. The app even crashed on me a few times while I tried doing it. I also noticed that a few of the songs I originally had removed reappeared on my phone, and a phone restart was necessary for me to delete the files again. So far, I'm not sure if the issue has been truly solved; I've yet to re-add my music and see if metadata is correctly read (mostly to see if album art will actually show up again). Fingers crossed.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I faced the same issue lately. XBM seems to cache the information it gathers about the songs you have. No idea though why you were still able to play the songs, even though they weren't physically available anymore. I wasn't able to do that.
What I did to resolve the issue was removing all songs directly from within the music app, instead of deleting the files with a file manager. I rebooted my device (simple, normal shutdown and power on again) and copied the music back over. Worked fine.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
So, the most recent update with XBM actually fixed a lot of things for me and things were going smoothly. However, scouring my library, I found some missing album art in one of my favorite bands. So, I removed the albums from my phone, and tagged them properly. Before I put them back, I checked my library for similar issues so I could do it all at once, and the music I took off was still on there, even after I closed off the app and reopened it several times. Checking my SD card (and I don't store music on my phone proper, it wouldn't all fit anyway), I found that they were indeed not present as files. Even worse, when I reloaded the songs back on my phone, attempting to play them caused the app to crash.

Saying 'screw this,' I completely formatted and wiped the SD card because ain't nobody got time for this. Figured I'd start with a clean SD card and just re add everything after they've been properly tagged. Opening XBM again to make sure the process went smoothly, it shows ALL MY MUSIC STILL LOADED IN THE LIBRARY. What? I check the SD card and there is indeed nothing on it, both through storage check and my computer, as it should be. Figured the app was lagging (I have cloud music turned off. Period.) so I closed and reopened it, only to find the music still there. I attempted to play a song and lo and behold, the song plays. WHAT? There is NO MUSIC on the phone, no cloud storage, and it is still able to find the music and play it? It wasn't even a recent play either. Tested this for other songs as well.

I think I created infinite storage, because there is no way this should be happening. After about half an hour though, I loaded all my music back properly, there's just a perpetual black screen after selecting artists or any category. Soft and Hard resets aren't weren't doing the job and a factory reset was out of the question. So, Music Hub Tile for me until an update fixes this, no problems at all.

But just for my own curiosity, what happened? What can explain the app reading and playing something that isn't there?
Similar issue. I got it to update after plying newly downloaded music through musictastic and while playing switched to Xbox music and went to look under artist and it triggered it to update. Only thing I can't figure out is it wont update the playlists ( I deleted old one off the phone and added a new one). But muusictastic shows it and if I play the playlist through the third party app then switch to Xbox music while its playing Xbox music can shuffle through the playlist but still doent show it under its list.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Same here. The same problem occurs when you update your tags. The only way I've seen Xbox Music seeing your new tags is with a hard reset (which is nuts).

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Well I'm back to using musictastic as my main music app. Best I've found so far and obviously Xbox isn't up to par yet. Sad that a third party app can read music better than the Ms one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos