Outlook 2013 vs Windows 8.1 Mail App: what's better?

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I just bought the Office 365 and it came with Outlook 2013.

However, I have been using Windows mail app, and it's been working out quite well.

But is there any reason that the Outlook can do that the Mail app can't?

I like the instant push notification from the Windows mail app I get, and I don't think the push notification is possible with Outlook 2013, without keeping the program open at all times.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
re:

The 8.1 Mail app is good enough for your needs. It's more convenient with its Live Tile and all.

Outlook 2013 is just a more powerful mail client, with features you may or may not use. It's also chunkier.

Neil Katz

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Windows 8.1 Mail App does not work with POP3 mail accounts, such as my Verizon.net account. Until it does, this is a no brainer for me - Outlook wins hands down.

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I find myself out of habit going to Outlook.com more often than not, but this could be due to years of using Gmail. I then use the Mail app and Outlook 2013 interchangeably. Will say Outlook 2013 is a little overkill for my personal email needs though.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
But is there any reason that the Outlook can do that the Mail app can't?
There's quite a lot of features that Outlook has that aren't present in the Mail app. If you don't use/need them you'll not miss them.
Off the top of my head:
Tasks
Flagging
Rules
Search Folders
S/MIME
Plug-ins

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Outlook is more feature packed, just try to go through all of those tabs. You can minimize Outlook to tray and keep getting instant notification. If you work extensively with lots of people, need to manage tasks, calendar, reminders, and meeting, Outlook is worth the cost. Otherwise it's overkill for personal email.

Eileen Harbin

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I prefer Outlook because I use that all day at work, can I just delete the mail app?
If I just delete the outlook.com account from the mail app will it delete it out of the outlook program?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99