XBox Music not reflecting music library change

anon(7812135)

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello there,

I'm facing a problem with XBOX Music app. 2 days back, I decided to give it another shot, after having ditched it in favor of MixRadio. I was thinking that maybe it'll work well after all those "bug fixing" updates. But it's the same PoS.

So what's the problem this time? Well, for starters, XBOX music did scan, find and play the music stored on my MicroSD card just fine. But the thing is, the last song played still shows up in the "collection", "recent plays" and "now playing" screens, even though the music is no longer there (I formatted the memory card). I've tried restarting the phone and all of that stuff. Still nothing.

I think Microsoft should just kill XBOX Music if they can't fix it. It's an utter abomination.

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I noticed this too when I deleted tons of tracks. It doesn't update missing files/ songs. And only adds new ones.

Jakez98

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Enable background tasks for Xbox Music in Battery Saver, reboot to let it take effect, then charge your phone and wait for a while before opening Xbox Music again.

The background task is to ensure the music listing is updated in the background when your phone is plugged in.

Earlier versions of Xbox Music originally tried to update the music listing everytime the app is launched, this caused a major lag on app launch time, so MS decided that it's best to update the music listing in the background at regular intervals only when the phone is charging to help conserve battery life.

KrymXun KruXader

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Thank you so much for revealing this! I couldn't figure out how to make it update! I like that they put that in, the app does run a lot faster now, but they should put in a "refresh" button or something so we can manually make it update on our terms.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I bought a 64 GB SD card for my 1520 and dumped 20ish GB of music all at once. I went to bed without the additions displaying in my Xbox Music library, but they were all there the next morning. So, it may take a little while to update, but it will.

loofmodnar

Dec 14, 2010
www.loofmodnar.com
After some trial and error I figured out that plugging it in and leaving it running for awhile eventually updated things but it's slow. I only use my 520 for music so it was actually faster to hard-reset and resync most of the time.

I'm guessing it's an API limitation that cause it to be so slow which for better or worse (probably worse) won't be fixed until W10.

Jakez98

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
It's either an API limitation, or it's a concern with the battery life.

Being a native app, the old music hub reflects any new changes to the music listing instantly. And if MS implemented constant syncing in the new Xbox Music app, it can cause too much battery drain.

anon(7812135)

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Well, I've tried restarting the phone a couple of times and the problem is still the same. I guess I'll continue using Nokia MixRadio, because I don't think Xbox music is ever going to be fixed.

shortstrawfate

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Glad I'm not the only one going slowly mental over this. I have found this week that leaving my phone plugged into the PC for a few minutes longer after copying files across seems to make it update the library quicker. Not sure if this is luck or what.

It used to work so much better than this, I can't believe it's regressed so badly. Now every time I put new tracks on my phone it just reminds me why I never use Windows Media Player to manage my music library - it's the same daft scan that bombs out halfway through for no good reason.

jz1276

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I used to visit this thread frequently waiting to be informed of a fix but after awhile I gave up. Just decided to come back and check after a long time for the hell of it. CANNOT believe this xbox music crap is still buggy. There is one specific artists who's tracks I am constantly rearranging, updating the tags, adding tracks, etc. One those go into the phone forget it, no album art and sometimes the tracks won't even play. I just deleted the folder, renamed it, and recopied. All the tracks are now playing but still no album art. BTW, why XBOX Music? What does XBOX even have to do with music? I guess it isnt possible for someone to create an app to replace this bc I'm sure it wouldve been done by now?

Rizki Faisal

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Reset your phone might work, I used to have the same problem. And let the app running while you wait for your songs to be listed on the library. Works every time

Rizki Faisal

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Another piece of advise: Always erase your songs from xbox music. Do not attempt to erase it from file explorer or computer. It will messed up the library

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Enable background tasks for Xbox Music in Battery Saver, reboot to let it take effect, then charge your phone and wait for a while before opening Xbox Music again.

The background task is to ensure the music listing is updated in the background when your phone is plugged in.

This is good information. so I can allow background task for Xbox Music without seeing a negative impact on my battery? Syncing only happens while phone is charging amirite?

Jakez98

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, greedo_greedy. Background syncing only happens while the phone is plugged in. If you don't add new music regularly to your phone, just disable the background task after your music collection has been updated. That's what I did.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)