Is it worth getting?

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
With Xbox Music dropping to $49 for a year tomorrow, just wondering if it is worth getting.

Currently pay $9.99 a month for Spotify and rarely use the radio / discover functions. Pretty much use it how I used to use iTunes / Google Play - streaming albums and playlists I made. So it isn't too big of a deal if Xbox Music is limited in that way.

I'd do the 30 day trial, but it appears I'll have to bite the bullet tomorrow if I want the great price.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The $49 deal is an exceptional offer for what you get. You have full access to the catalogue for downloads on four devices for a year. Yes, there are holes in the catalogue due to exclusives on iTunes and ongoing licensing issues with some artists that affect all platforms. Nevertheless it covers everything I like ranging from popular to jazz to classical to even a selection classic radio shows from the 40s and 50s (very useful when driving across the desert southwest and wanting to stay alert). BTW, Microsoft has become pretty predictable on this one - the same offer was made as the last day of the 12 days promotion last Christmas. I expect this may become a recurring theme. Regardless though even at $99 it is a good deal.

Last edited:

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
While $100 a year is more than I'd pay (that's almost three times the cost of Xbox Live for the same period...geeze.), $50 is more bearable. I'm tempted to get it purely for organizations/detail-obsessed reasons (since Microsoft has removed to ability to add songs to the library without buying them).

On the other hand, that feels a bit like rewarding Microsoft for frustrating my efforts to organize my music library on THEIR app. Additionally, I don't really buy that many songs (I have about ~500, and that's from more than 10 years of collecting), so its hard to justify.

Plus, when the subscription is over, and if I decide not to renew, all those songs go *poof*. I'd probably be better off just buying the songs I want, permanently, rather than having huge holes in my music library. But that's how all music subscription services work I think.

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Isn't it supposed to sync between your devices? Reason I ask is I added a bunch of albums to my collection on one phone, but my collection is still empty on my other one. What gives?

EDIT: Added some on the web player and now they show up on my Lumia. First add was done from my iPhone, so maybe that's why

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
It's worth can only be assessed by each user: it depends on how important music is to you, and especially how LOTS of SPECIFIC music is important to you, in digital form, anywhere you go. If your tastes and wants don't go far beyond what you already own in your preferred format, and what others play for you on the usual channels, then you can probably skip it. Enjoy the music, regardless, but today's deal is a lower-cost way to try the subscription option for a year.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro