Music pass non transferable, or refundable $99.90 gone

pratok69

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Bought my daughter a music pass for Christmas. She switched to an IPhone 5c a week later. Just finished with chat support to try and transfer the music pass to my Live ID, they said "not physically possible." And since I purchased a prepaid card at the Microsoft retail store in the mall, its also "not refundable." But as a solution I "could carry her phone as a music player for the next ten months."
I am one of the guys constantly telling my friends how great the ecosystem WILL be, but patiently waiting for it to work. I am rocking a Lumia 925, xbox one, 3 or 4 pc's, (now a lumia 521 mp3 player) with PFD on phones, and Win 10 on the laptop, early access on the xbox and diligently giving feedback so as to improve the lot. Kinda feel like I just got a RASBERRY:confused:

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
There was an announcement of some type of music family thing, details have not come out yet. I hope they do it like Office 365 where you can share with 5 people. Anyway, your daughter is in the wrong for switching to an iPhone.

pratok69

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Well, the post was meant to convey my displeasure with having paid for the Music Pass and it not being transferrable.
In a world that made sense, Microsoft would realize Xbox Music is floundering. Maybe it should be a free service for a short period to help people justify the beta like performance. Perhaps if a person experienced issues with the service, a token gesture, a few months free... But certainly if I paid $ 99.90 for a year of Music Pass and my daughter switched platforms, I should be able to use the remaining ten months on my Microsoft Acct.
Instead , I was told I could carry her old Lumia 521 for a MP3 player.
Surely, the technology is there to disable the acct on her ID and credit me 10 months on mine.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Well, the post was meant to convey my displeasure with having paid for the Music Pass and it not being transferrable.
In a world that made sense, Microsoft would realize Xbox Music is floundering. Maybe it should be a free service for a short period to help people justify the beta like performance. Perhaps if a person experienced issues with the service, a token gesture, a few months free... But certainly if I paid $ 99.90 for a year of Music Pass and my daughter switched platforms, I should be able to use the remaining ten months on my Microsoft Acct.
Instead , I was told I could carry her old Lumia 521 for a MP3 player.
Surely, the technology is there to disable the acct on her ID and credit me 10 months on mine.
I'm not sure about what can be done. But from my own experience with refunds on xbox video: I was online a while back chatting with a rep and was told I could not get the issue fixed. A month ago I tried again and actually got the issue resolved. I had purchased a movie that wouldn't play anymore, it was removed from the store. So the 2nd time around they actually let me buy a different version of the movie and then refunded the money to my MS account. So don't give up and try again.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Most music services don't allows you to transfer a subscription. You can't with Spotify. You can't with Google. You can't with Amazon. That would effectively defeat DRM if you could pass accounts back and forth (which is what can happen if you allow any kind of transfer to happen).

There's nothing wrong with the 521 as an MP3 player. My 521 is solely as an MP3 player and backup GPS device. Also for GPS tracking on my bike rides. Great way to save my regular phone (Icon) for emergencies if I get stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

This is the best option!

Why wouldn't she just keep her Xbox Music subscription and use it on her iPhone?

I'm getting a couple of Android devices next week that I'm going to use in addition to my Windows PCs/tablet/Windows Phone. I have an Xbox Music subscription, so I'll just get the Xbox Music app for Android from Google Play.

That's the beauty of most of the Microsoft apps. They are available for all platforms, so one is able to stay in the Microsoft ecosystem even if he/she switches to Android/iOS, or uses both Windows and Android/iOS devices.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Bought my daughter a music pass for Christmas. She switched to an IPhone 5c a week later. Just finished with chat support to try and transfer the music pass to my Live ID, they said "not physically possible." And since I purchased a prepaid card at the Microsoft retail store in the mall, its also "not refundable." But as a solution I "could carry her phone as a music player for the next ten months."
I am one of the guys constantly telling my friends how great the ecosystem WILL be, but patiently waiting for it to work. I am rocking a Lumia 925, xbox one, 3 or 4 pc's, (now a lumia 521 mp3 player) with PFD on phones, and Win 10 on the laptop, early access on the xbox and diligently giving feedback so as to improve the lot. Kinda feel like I just got a RASBERRY:confused:

1. Read the agreement that you agreed to and don't be surprised when it applies.

2. Simply use Xbox Music app & service on her iPhone
3. The Xbox Music app on Windows Phone does kinda suck, but the service works good.

pratok69

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
I appreciate all the responses and understand you are trying to offer the silver lining. From a business standpoint, customers should not have to consider the silver lining of a service that has been plagued by problems. On xbox one the music pass worked sporadically, on WP 8 and 8.1 less often. On the pc it worked fine. As for the service agreement, I was told because I had purchased the pass in the Microsoft Store at the mall it could not be refunded. Had I purchased it through my Microsoft acct online it could. Recently I didn't qualify for a $10 gift card for pre order of a game because I purchased it online through my acct. not in the store.

And the issue only surfaces because the service was sub par. At my local MS retail store, the employees also conceded the problems with the app and pass. Should it really be necessary to carry a stand alone mp3 player today. Do you honestly think my daughter or anyone for that matter would choose XBOX MUSIC PASS over iTunes on an iPhone. If so why?

I feel your angst in trying to explain away the bugs. I too do it with my non MS friends. I am in the MS camp, I will anxiously await the MS environment promised. I do like to beta test and try new apps and devices, but the app and pass are having real problems. The rep I spoke to a couple of days ago on the same issue said " It works really well now...I promise" . I checked, that is not in the service agreement

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
And the issue only surfaces because the service was sub par. At my local MS retail store, the employees also conceded the problems with the app and pass. Should it really be necessary to carry a stand alone mp3 player today. Do you honestly think my daughter or anyone for that matter would choose XBOX MUSIC PASS over iTunes on an iPhone. If so why?

That's quite reasonable--I mean, you already have an iPhone. It's hard not to argue against using iTunes.

This works both ways--iTunes is, without question, still extremely mediocre-to-bad software on Windows OS (to be fair, it used to be worse). And that's by comparison to Xbox Music, which is not perfect by any means, but still leaps and bounds over iTunes. We can assume pretty confidently that if you (or someone) own an WP, you use Windows on your desktop (technically, we can say that about anyone--Windows is ~80% of the OS marketshare, MacOS is ~6%). Aside from being bound to your existing music purchases (which are locked into a system), there is really no reason whatsoever to use iTunes over Xbox Music (or almost any other music marketplace, like Amazon) on WP. It's basically a giant P.I.T.A. like you've described.

Of course, if you're already bought $400 worth of songs on iTunes, you're sort of committed no matter what.

A similar case exists for iPhone, unsurprisingly. These are rival companies after all.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Do you honestly think my daughter or anyone for that matter would choose XBOX MUSIC PASS over iTunes on an iPhone. If so why?

I can't understand how anyone can defend how poor iTunes is on the PC. It's as if Apple wanted to do an F-U to all PC users by offering such a bloated piece of software that has taken down many PC systems.

And until the streaming service is fully implemented in iTunes, Xbox Music is better because you have all-you-can-eat music. Better than having to pay 99 cents to $1.29 per song. But if you want to buy piecemeal, you can do the same with Xbox Music (for DRM-free MP3 music that is playable on anything).

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Just pondering....

So if I buy a kitchen sink and fix it for my current house and shift to a new house within a month, do i ask the contractor and the vendor to refund me?

My wife uses xbox music on her Galaxy Note 4.

Sent from Lumia 1020 on WP10 using Taptalk

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure about what can be done. But from my own experience with refunds on xbox video: I was online a while back chatting with a rep and was told I could not get the issue fixed. A month ago I tried again and actually got the issue resolved. I had purchased a movie that wouldn't play anymore, it was removed from the store. So the 2nd time around they actually let me buy a different version of the movie and then refunded the money to my MS account. So don't give up and try again.

Just a fair bit of warning though based on my personal experience with these chat guys and their refund policies - I did something very similar. I wouldn't get certain movies to "re-play" even though I had purchased them and had similar issue with Xbox Music pass. Instead of how you tried twice, I tried it 4 times over the course of 7 months, just with a hope that someone will understand the issue and sort this out so that I can play what I own or get a refund. I escalated the case 4th time around and I was refunded "all troublesome movies" and given a credit for one months' music pass. I thought, that was a win win because I could now actually go ahead and repurchase what may just work.

Guess what? After 2 months of this, I got perma ban from Xbox Live and on asking for explanation I was told, I asked for too many refunds even though I was refused the first time around and this ban will stay as it is, since Xbox Live enforcement agents considered this as "defrauding agents".

I lost all my purchases on Xbox Music (including 2 yrs of pre-paid passes that I had stacked to renew automatically in 2016, 2017), Xbox Video, Xbox game scores are gone, Xbox games I downloaded worth ?300 are now useless and I can't log in to anything Xbox on anything. There is no appeals for this. So be cautious on asking refunds, even if they grant you as a goodwill gesture to fix it, eventually they don't see it that way, no matter how genuine your issue is.

jesusfreak420

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I feel your pain. I have lost about $1,000 after changing regions (which Microsoft advised me I needed to do). They told me it wouldn't affect previous purchases. I spoke to Xbox support five times and none of them were willing to do anything, even after admitting I was wrong advised. The products are great, but I have found Microsoft's support as a whole to be lacking. It seems to me that there is very little that they are prepared to do, which is a pity because no matter how great the products are, it's hard to recommend to friends if there is little support offered.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate all the responses and understand you are trying to offer the silver lining. From a business standpoint, customers should not have to consider the silver lining of a service that has been plagued by problems. On xbox one the music pass worked sporadically, on WP 8 and 8.1 less often. On the pc it worked fine. As for the service agreement, I was told because I had purchased the pass in the Microsoft Store at the mall it could not be refunded. Had I purchased it through my Microsoft acct online it could. Recently I didn't qualify for a $10 gift card for pre order of a game because I purchased it online through my acct. not in the store.

I feel your angst in trying to explain away the bugs. I too do it with my non MS friends. I am in the MS camp, I will anxiously await the MS environment promised. I do like to beta test and try new apps and devices, but the app and pass are having real problems. The rep I spoke to a couple of days ago on the same issue said " It works really well now...I promise" . I checked, that is not in the service agreement

TBH, this sounds like a problem with your daughter not wanting to take two seconds to download an app to play the music she just had. There's really no use in pointing the blame at Microsoft or Xbox Music or anything else. The only people who can fix this issue are you and your daughter.

Also, what IS in the service agreement is that they state that your subscription is tied to your account. To the best of my knowledge, there is not a service in the world that would do what you're describing, as they all have similar clauses that say you can't transfer your subscriptions.

Edit: What's also in the service agreement is that your purchase can only be refunded if the pass wasn't activated. Since you've used it, it can't be refunded. I'd post the link, but Windows 10 doesn't let me post links.

pratok69

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
TBH,
What you seemed to have missed in your parsing of the post was that the service did not perform as promised. If you had tried it in the recent past you might be familiar with the disappointment many have expressed. I was recently told by the support representative that "it works great now !".
Ajayden, I also love using analogies, but I feel yours is a little off the mark. I've read it a few times and was left thinking "what?"

The purpose of this and other companies is to sell. The purpose of this and other service agreements is to protect the company after the sale. A very necessary position in business. Sometimes it is also necessary to recognize when a product doesn't meet expectations, which they have, and with scripted humility try to quell legitimate discontent. Not out of compassion but of a desire to fulfill there original purpose, to sell. Last year was filled with posts from music pass users hoping and waiting for it to work. We are the devoted. On the other hand the average consumer would try it, dump it, and move to a different product. And when the subject of music services or applications arises express there discontent. I have heard that a comment from a dissatisfied customer can negate thousands in advertising dollars.
To be sure, their disclaimer does protect them and the sale. (ps, I wasn't asking for a refund, just to transfer the service from her to me).
My daughter is 13 now. Todays teens are a huge market segment, connected always. Posting, chatting, tweetering, following. MS is embarking on a mission to regain market share and gain new in todays mobile world. Discontent should be soothed when possible, customers need wooed. Hearts and minds need to be won. Now is not the time to be rigid.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750