Messenger and WhatsApp notifications disappeared

saras112

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
For some reason I don't get FB Messenger and WhatsApp notifications, these apps are even gone from Action Center settings, in the in-app settings the notifications are turned on. I tired reinstalling the apps, doing soft reset, hell I even did the hard reset- still no luck. Any suggestions?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
For some reason I don't get FB Messenger and WhatsApp notifications, these apps are even gone from Action Center settings, in the in-app settings the notifications are turned on. I tired reinstalling the apps, doing soft reset, hell I even did the hard reset- still no luck. Any suggestions?

What phone are you using? What OS and Firmware versions? What does it say under Extras+info? Under PFD?

Did the apps disappear from the Action Center settings before you performed a hard reset (which should have erased all your personal data) on your phone? If yes, you should have tried restarting your phone and then voluntarily test these apps for notifications, e.g. by letting someone send you a message to these apps and monitoring they're response. Also ensure that you've got a good internet connection. These two always worked for me whenever an app stops "pushing" notifications.

After a real hard reset, all the apps that were once listed in the Action Center will disappear.

saras112

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
What phone are you using? What OS and Firmware versions? What does it say under Extras+info? Under PFD?

Did the apps disappear from the Action Center settings before you performed a hard reset (which should have erased all your personal data) on your phone? If yes, you should have tried restarting your phone and then voluntarily test these apps for notifications, e.g. by letting someone send you a message to these apps and monitoring they're response. Also ensure that you've got a good internet connection. These two always worked for me whenever an app stops "pushing" notifications.

After a real hard reset, all the apps that were once listed in the Action Center will disappear.

I have a Lumia 625, with Lumia Denim no PFD. Everything worked just fine yesterday, but today its just not working,I haven't installed any updates, haven't changed any settings, I'm connected to the same Wi-Fi, but it stopped working out of thin air.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 625, with Lumia Denim no PFD. Everything worked just fine yesterday, but today its just not working,I haven't installed any updates, haven't changed any settings, I'm connected to the same Wi-Fi, but it stopped working out of thin air.

Did you really perform a hard reset (erasing all your personal data from your phone)?* If yes, did the apps disappear from the Action Center settings before you performed a hard reset on your phone? If yes, again, you should have tried restarting your phone and then voluntarily test these apps for notifications, e.g. by letting someone send you a message to these apps and monitoring they're response.

*- I'm asking this because a soft reset is sometimes confused with a hard reset. Only the latter one erases all custom data from the phone.

guillo889

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi, the same thing happens to me when I spend all my network data, I have a plan that includes some data (full internet) and unlimited social networks (Facebook, Twitter & WhatsApp / Movistar MX), once my data is over the notifications stop working, I can use the apps as always but there aren't any notifications not until I have data (full internet) again. This somehow also affects my notifications even on wifi I don't know what is the root cause of it.

saras112

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Did you really perform a hard reset (erasing all your personal data from your phone)?* If yes, did the apps disappear from the Action Center settings before you performed a hard reset on your phone? If yes, again, you should have tried restarting your phone and then voluntarily test these apps for notifications, e.g. by letting someone send you a message to these apps and monitoring they're response.

*- I'm asking this because a soft reset is sometimes confused with a hard reset. Only the latter one erases all custom data from the phone.
I did the hard reset after noticing that app notifications aren't working

EDIT: I kept reinstalling the apps a couple times, luckily its working!

Tellus82

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Answered in another thread as well, I have the same issue on a Lumia 830 with updated denim and not running dp. Neither app shows in action center for me nor do they register as being able to run in the background, this started when they where updated and neither a few soft resets or a complete system whipe made any difference at all. I will try the reinstall until they work option, although that seems like an odd solution...

I should add that I have had friends send me messages and the apps have not responded until I have opened them up and synced manually. Even after this the apps do not show as capable of running in the background in battery saver and they do not show in action center.

tehaer

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Same problem here, FB Messenger stopped showing any notifications on tile or in action center. It worked two days ago, stopped working now. No sound, no image notification, i've already done an uninstallation, hard reset and full format via Nokia Suite. Nothing worked, messenger does not send out push notifs.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here, FB Messenger stopped showing any notifications on tile or in action center. It worked two days ago, stopped working now. No sound, no image notification, i've already done an uninstallation, hard reset and full format via Nokia Suite. Nothing worked, messenger does not send out push notifs.

What phone are you using?

It's unfortunate that you're experiencing the issue severely. However, we can't generalize that "Messenger does out push notifications" at all. For my L535 (and my L1020), a simple restart fixed this issue and it is in fact currently working. This may or may not work, but at least the issue is not for everyone.

On the other hand, updates are continually being released to the Messenger App - though it may not be as frequent as a lot would like it to be - with "common bug fixes and improvements". This means that future versions of the app should be more reliable than how it currently is.

Tellus82

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I have been testing a bit more with messenger and no matter what I do the app cannot run in the background, as soon as I leave it by any means its killed. When I open it up again it syncs fine. This is in my mind definitely a fault in the app itself since the last update and no amount of reinstalls or hard resets will solve it.

tehaer

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
What phone are you using?

It's unfortunate that you're experiencing the issue severely. However, we can't generalize that "Messenger does out push notifications" at all. For my L535 (and my L1020), a simple restart fixed this issue and it is in fact currently working. This may or may not work, but at least the issue is not for everyone.

On the other hand, updates are continually being released to the Messenger App - though it may not be as frequent as a lot would like it to be - with "common bug fixes and improvements". This means that future versions of the app should be more reliable than how it currently is.

The question is, when the update will show up, as for WP it sometimes takes too much time :) My device is Lumia 930.

tehaer

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I have been testing a bit more with messenger and no matter what I do the app cannot run in the background, as soon as I leave it by any means its killed. When I open it up again it syncs fine. This is in my mind definitely a fault in the app itself since the last update and no amount of reinstalls or hard resets will solve it.

Thats true, on my 930 Messenger is also not listed in background apps.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
The question is, when the update will show up, as for WP it sometimes takes too much time :) My device is Lumia 930.

The waiting game has been running for some time now, but I'm guessing that most of us who think that the app updates are too far spread out are not too busy either in participating in the Windows 10 Technical Preview Program or with other facets of life. I've spoken with developers I know who used to push regular updates to their apps (one of them released an update almost every other day for BETA testers) but now he says that he couldn't update as much as he used to because he is pre-occupied with development for Windows 10; better not get left behind by ignoring the future, right? It's safe to extrapolate that most developers are also pre-occupied with Windows 10 development, hence the delay in update releases at the current state of affairs.:angel:

kirku

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Having the same issues as others. Both Facebook and Messenger have stopped giving me notifications. I used a 3rd party Facebook client and it sent notifications through fine. I've reinstalled the apps, used Facebook Beta, soft reset, hard reset with no difference. Really annoying as I'm missing message notifications.

Hope this is fixed sooner rather than later.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Having the same issues as others. Both Facebook and Messenger have stopped giving me notifications. I used a 3rd party Facebook client and it sent notifications through fine. I've reinstalled the apps, used Facebook Beta, soft reset, hard reset with no difference. Really annoying as I'm missing message notifications.

Hope this is fixed sooner rather than later.

Yeah, I hope so, too... and welcome to the forums. :cool:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Don't suppose you can think of anything else to try?

Well... so far, according to other members, a restart, soft reset, hard reset, re-installation of apps and re-format using "Nokia Care Suite" have already been done, but mostly with no good results. I could not test all of these and see which one works (because my Messenger and WhatsApp are currently working normally in the first place), but these are the general methods of repairing or addressing bugs with most electronic devices.

Since none of those worked, what's left is to send useful and constructive feedback to the developers of these apps. In Messenger, there is an option to "Report a Problem" in the app settings. In WhatsApp, there's an option to "Contact Support" in the app settings. This presumes that the developers receive (and they do) the feedback and implies a waiting period for the developer to issue a fix through an update.

Of course, one could try using a different phone but that may or may not increase the statistical chance of not experiencing the bug.

saras112

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
After a couple of re-installs and re-boots WhatsApp notifications are now working, but Messenger refuses to push notifications.

freypal

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Interesting... my Facebook app stopped giving me updates a few days ago. Push and Toasts aren't coming through.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it twice to no avail. Interestingly when I reinstalled Facebook it shows as running in the background but doesn't appear in the notifications section of settings any more.

Whatsapp and FB messenger work ok it seems. When this has happened in the past a soft reset has sorted it, not so now... its odds as nothing has changed on my phone, just one day its stopped working.

For completeness I'm running Denim too.

kirku

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Sounds identical to my problem, except FB messenger also doesn't work for me.

I don't have a FB account listed in 'accounts' - do other people?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss