App count is growing because MS allows garbage into the store.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Lol yes I'm not arguing against the fact that most apps we have are better on different platform, in the sense of structure and features, but every markert has it's share of crappy apps and the playstore has those apps to thank as well for their "numbers"

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Lol I take it you've been frequenting wmpoweruser and read the latest article by Ebuka :p Fact of the matter is, MS is probably aware of this by now, so the only thing we can do is make sure they keep an eye on the proceedings by just reporting the apps. Not a lot of people do this, thus it takes some time before the right amount of "complaints" build up. Only when that number is reached (I don't know the total and wouldn't care to guess), will MS jump into action.

For high profile apps (example: 6tag) the amount of user complaints needed for action is much lesser, but for obscure apps.... The best you can do is start a thread, post the apps you deem scams or lacking in quality and give us the reason why. In that case a lot of people can hit the "report" button at the same time or about the same time

Edit: This is mostly based on what I could pick up by just observing, so I have no official info
Whoa when did I get unmasked :p

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm in... so post the apps that need a reporting, how about we start with the infamous Instagram Beta which hasn't been updated since 22-03-2014... an anniversary gift of sorts :devil:

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
It's funny the other day I saw like 10 apps called "guide to whatsapp" in different variants. From 2.99 to 4.99. What? People buy this stuff?
I guess they never heard of the web. This stuff shouldn't even be considered an app. There's so much of that kind of bs. I still hate the search part. I will search for something I know is in the store but if I don't use the exact name, who knows what will show up. I mean Microsoft are behind MSSQL! They should know how to do queries properly.

There is a lot of annoying stuff about Windows phone no doubt. But its saviour is how awesome the start screen concept is. The amount of custom tailoring and artistic ingenuity that can go into it makes it the best OS in my opinion. Unfortunately function has always suffered and while windows 8.1.1 is fantastic with adding more functionality and allowing it to compete with the others, there are still areas that are behind. I know it's not easy for them as they are probably constantly in a fast paced stressful environment trying just to catch up to the competition, but they also have to one-up them. I'm sure they do expect to fix a lot of things, but their priority is to wow the users with other features. MS will not give up with windows phone because they are aware that this is the future. Most people spend more time on phones/tablets now than they do on pc's. Ever since I got my Lumia 830, the screen is big enough that I haven't used my tablet since. It's either PC or phone.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
What really makes me mad I the fact that Microsoft is bragging about the constant growth of its marketplace. The app count is growing simply because sooo many crappy developers publish apps that are simply spam or a whole app with title ( money, music .. etc ) and the app is just one page definition of the word ) . So as the app count is growing , the percent of quality apps is sinking with. It . Like let us say it grew 1000 apps last week but be sure that not more then 100 apps are relevant and good apps. I hope some Microsoft guy sees this and report it . Till then join me fellow windowscentrals and let us report all the apps that are spam or not relevant just to try and make an impact and hopefully Microsoft will put some restrictions to make the published apps a little better just like apple on its iTunes store

I just found this, this morning. I believe MS is working on it just very quietly. Spring Cleaning: Microsoft Removes Fake Apps from Windows Stores - Softpedia

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft needs to make reporting a lot more easier, just a button on Store, a text box and submit button, no need for email follow up, more importantly, they need to listen and remove those scam apps. Another interesting problem is, piracy IN the Store itself as in http://wmpoweruser.com/windows-phone-store-piracy-problem/, I think WC should write about this info, every Windows news app should write this article to make it viral and really reach Microsoft and put shame on them 😠.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft needs to make reporting a lot more easier, just a button on Store, a text box and submit button, no need for email follow up, more importantly, they need to listen and remove those scam apps. Another interesting problem is, piracy IN the Store itself as in Windows Phone has a piracy problem, I think WC should write about this info, every Windows news app should write this article to make it viral and really reach Microsoft and put shame on them ��.

This is already available in the store. At the left side of any app page in the desktop version of the store, there's the "Report Concern to Microsoft" link/button. Clicking on that would bring you to a page where you can choose among several possible grounds for reporting the app. How can we make this even simpler?

What email follow up are you referring to, then? Emails are not sent by Microsoft to the "reporters" at all times, though they do contact the developers regarding the "reporters'" concern. Among all the apps that I have reported (more than 20), only one of the developers responded to my report - denying my claim but it turned out that the developers were (either intentionally or unintentionally) masking a misunderstood hardware feature (they already corrected this now, anyway).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb