App count is growing because MS allows garbage into the store.

Tareq27

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
What really makes me mad I the fact that Microsoft is bragging about the constant growth of its marketplace. The app count is growing simply because sooo many crappy developers publish apps that are simply spam or a whole app with title ( money, music .. etc ) and the app is just one page definition of the word ) . So as the app count is growing , the percent of quality apps is sinking with. It . Like let us say it grew 1000 apps last week but be sure that not more then 100 apps are relevant and good apps. I hope some Microsoft guy sees this and report it . Till then join me fellow windowscentrals and let us report all the apps that are spam or not relevant just to try and make an impact and hopefully Microsoft will put some restrictions to make the published apps a little better just like apple on its iTunes store

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Lol I take it you've been frequenting wmpoweruser and read the latest article by Ebuka :p Fact of the matter is, MS is probably aware of this by now, so the only thing we can do is make sure they keep an eye on the proceedings by just reporting the apps. Not a lot of people do this, thus it takes some time before the right amount of "complaints" build up. Only when that number is reached (I don't know the total and wouldn't care to guess), will MS jump into action.

For high profile apps (example: 6tag) the amount of user complaints needed for action is much lesser, but for obscure apps.... The best you can do is start a thread, post the apps you deem scams or lacking in quality and give us the reason why. In that case a lot of people can hit the "report" button at the same time or about the same time

Edit: This is mostly based on what I could pick up by just observing, so I have no official info

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
What really makes me mad I the fact that Microsoft is bragging about the constant growth of its marketplace. The app count is growing simply because sooo many crappy developers publish apps that are simply spam or a whole app with title ( money, music .. etc ) and the app is just one page definition of the word ) . So as the app count is growing , the percent of quality apps is sinking with. It . Like let us say it grew 1000 apps last week but be sure that not more then 100 apps are relevant and good apps. I hope some Microsoft guy sees this and report it . Till then join me fellow windowscentrals and let us report all the apps that are spam or not relevant just to try and make an impact and hopefully Microsoft will put some restrictions to make the published apps a little better just like apple on its iTunes store

I agree it should be quality and not quantity but I do not really think that Microsoft is (over) bragging.
They are in a "difficult" position because "everyone" is talking about the app gap and then only numbers count.
And "preventing" developers to get there apps published is kind of "difficult" because they still need "more" apps.

Actual I saw some previews from windows 10 like the calculator and a few more of this nifty (native) apps to come and this will I think also make the need of dozens of similar apps unnecessary.
So in my ideal world the OS with the "leas"t number of (productivity) apps is the "best" . ( games excluded)

Tareq27

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Lol I take it you've been frequenting wmpoweruser and read the latest article by Ebuka :p Fact of the matter is, MS is probably aware of this by now, so the only thing we can do is make sure they keep an eye on the proceedings by just reporting the apps. Not a lot of people do this, thus it takes some time before the right amount of "complaints" build up. Only when that number is reached (I don't know the total and wouldn't care to guess), will MS jump into action.

For high profile apps (example: 6tag) the amount of user complaints needed for action is much lesser, but for obscure apps.... The best you can do is start a thread, post the apps you deem scams or lacking in quality and give us the reason why. In that case a lot of people can hit the "report" button at the same time or about the same time

Edit: This is mostly based on what I could pick up by just observing, so I have no official info
You Are damn i right i have 😊, but you know it needed to be said ! And i thought why not share it here to spread The word !

Tareq27

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site

And yes that is a good idea I am just waiting to this thread to gather more people and then we will start a new one and post all the spam apps there and report them together hopefully they'll get removed

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
You Are dann i right i habe ��, but you know it needed to be said ! And i thought why not share it here to spread The word !

Yes it needed to be said. I have read a few of these articles over the last few months and if it catches on, it will be yet another "arrow" to use against us..... In my personal experience I've only come across two of these apps, removed them immediately and reported them

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

True and mostly valid, and I'm with you in making use of the "Report Concern to Microsoft" link that can be seen both in the PC version and the app versions of the store. But, hopefully, if the users of WP really want more quality apps then more of us should actually report our concerns to Microsoft about poorly-executed apps, too. This is to presume, of course, that Microsoft will actually do something about our reports. :cool:

Tareq27

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Yes it needed to be said. I have read a few of these articles over the last few months and if it catches on, it will be yet another "arrow" to use against us..... In my personal experience I've only come across two of these apps, removed them immediately and reported them
You know as lovers of windows phones I used to defend the " app gap " but I really feel let down after being a poor student who busted my *** to gather money so I can buy a Lumia 1520 ( used one of course), only to be disappointed with the apps day after another . I used to defend the situation all the time ! But felt like Microsoft doesn't care and only care to say : Yaay our app numbers are more then 400000 . I would be 10 times happier if there was a thousend quality ones then 1000,000 apps drowning in a pool of spam bad quality ones ! Am I right ?

Tareq27

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
True and mostly valid, and I'm with you in making use of the "Report Concern to Microsoft" link that can be seen both in the PC version and the app versions of the store. But, hopefully, if the users of WP really want more quality apps then more of us should actually report our concerns to Microsoft about poorly-executed apps, too. This is to presume, of course, that Microsoft will actually do something about our reports. :cool:
Good good my friend , let the hate flow through you !! Let us build an army and clean our beloved app ecosystem!

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
This is to presume, of course, that Microsoft will actually do something about our reports

I think they do :D I've reported one or two apps that needed updating (imo xd) and about a week or two weeks later those apps were updated. This is why I came to my "high profile apps" conclusion. Now it could just be that the devs were planning to update and it had nothing to do with me reporting, but those devs had not updated their apps for quite a bit.

I'm guessing the primary action MS takes, is to notify the devs of the reports and perhaps urging them to update, based on their contract/agreement, but whatever happens after that... Mi don't know

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I think they do :D I've reported one or two apps that needed updating (imo xd) and about a week or two weeks later those apps were updated. This is why I came to my "high profile apps" conclusion. Now it could just be that the devs were planning to update and it had nothing to do with me reporting, but those devs had not updated their apps for quite a bit.

I'm guessing the primary action MS takes, is to notify the devs of the reports and perhaps urging them to update, based on their contract/agreement, but whatever happens after that... Mi don't know

Glad to know, but this doesn't seem to work at all times... but that could be blamed on the developer's side rather than MS. I've been reporting certain apps for poor build (I mean really haphazardly done... the developer didn't even bother to change the app description since it still says, "The best xxxxxxx app for Android!" - and yes, complete with the exclamation point!)* The app is still available for everyone to download more than a month after reporting it. But at the very least, in line with your statement, it could be that Microsoft sent a notification to the developer, but in my case the developer has not responded yet.

It's sweeping time. :cool:

*- This was not the main basis for calling the app poorly done, though. The app seemed to be an attempt to mask another app, but just changed the interface and app name... but the live tile shows a different app name and the contents, though re-arranged, are very similar to the "original" app. I'll avoid mentioning the app name.

Tareq27

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Lol tbh Android users should use it the "quality over quantity" argument more often than we do
I really disagree , every single app on android that has a counter part on windowsphone is way better on android ! So android has quality + quantity when you compare it to windowsphone wich makes me sad 😢 .

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I really disagree , every single app on android that has a counter part on windowsphone is way better on android ! So android has quality + quantity when you compare it to windowsphone wich makes me sad �� .

Hmmm, not always. The Android counterpart of certain Windows Phone apps may be better (even this is subjective), but that doesn't mean that Android has a higher quality-quantity ratio. The chances of hitting a target (at least once) at 15 yards is higher with a 100-round drum magazine Thompson Sub-machine gun than it is with a 6-shot Colt revolver. :angel:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss