The Great Snapchat Flood of 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Too many WP users make the rest of us look like disrespectful pigs that don't deserve an app in the eyes of snapchat and Evan Spiegel.

Agreed. If they see what's written here about them, I can't say that I blame them.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I see your thinking here, but I disagree.
Honestly, I really hope you're right. Unfortunately, the CEO of Snapchat has the mindset of a teenage ******. He's not a rational businessman. From what I can piece together, I think it's very unlikely he will change his mind without his hand being forced by investors and/or market conditions. 😒

If the WP community ever decides to gets serious about threatening Snapchat, then I'll be glad to pitch in though.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. If they see what's written here about them, I can't say that I blame them.

Which would just further prove he's an irrational ****** that lets pretty grievances get in the way of what should be a calculating business operation.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Which would just further prove he's an irrational ****** that lets pretty grievances get in the way of what should be a calculating business operation.

Tongue-in-cheek missed.

I'm quite certain the CEO of a multi million $ business isn't letting a few grievances get in the way. I'm pretty sure his decision is based on a calculated business operation, in spite of what he says publicly. He knows which side his bread's buttered on. If it's worth it he'll do it.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ The smartphone-app bubble has the ability to turn very simplistic services run by very inexperienced people into multi million dollar businesses.

A service almost identical to YouTube went out of business two years prior to YouTube being sold for 1.6 billion. Sometimes it's just about being at the right place at the right time, while being business savvy matters less.

As a society we tend to think all CEOs of moneyed businesses are superheroes and smarter than everyone else. In established markets that's often true. It doesn't apply to companies like Snapchat.
Maybe you're right that he's just "putting on a show". Just wish someone could explain why...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Yes, you're correct. But look at the flip side: most of us here are passionate about Windows Phone. We (when I say "we" I mean the WC community as a whole) cannot fathom that someone does not like it, and we feel that there are more than enough users to make an app worthwhile. But, I believe we are letting our passion get in the way of reality.

We say that the CEO of Snapchat is avoiding WP because he hates it, not because it wouldn't be profitable for his company. But, would we be letting our emotions get in the way of a calculated business decision if we, in similar circumstances, provided a WP app? I don't know, and neither do you, or neither does anyone else here. Even though our attitude and actions would be the exact opposite of Even Spiegel, the concept is exactly the same. Our emotions rather than logic would be affecting our decision, which is exactly the basis on which you're accusing Evan Spiegel.

Daniel Olsen

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Just saw this on the support twitter page:

Snapchat support (in response to a WP related tweet): "we're not supporting windows phones right now! :("

Response: "oh :( any guess on when will it happen?"

SC:"we're not sure yet :("

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
...would we be letting our emotions get in the way of a calculated business decision if we, in similar circumstances, provided a WP app? I don't know, and neither do you, or neither does anyone else here.

Except I do know...

I think your point is that none of us have all the facts, so we can't know if making a WP Snapchat app is rational or irrational. I disagree, because being rational doesn't require that we know or have 100% certainty about everything. Not even Evan Spiegel has that, if for no other reason than him not being able to predict the future either. Every business strategy deals with a lot of probabilities and uncertainties, yet we can still make rational decisions, if we allow them to be guided by what we consider to be the most probable outcomes based on the information we have at the time.

Based on the information I have, I'm completely capable of rationalizing my decision without letting my fondness for WP get in the way. I readily admit that there are some types of apps which I wouldn't develop for WP, because I wouldn't consider them economically viable or strategically important. IMHO that just doesn't apply to Snapchat.

So far I don't think anybody knows why Evan Spiegel doesn't want to develop a Snapchat app for WP. At least he hasn't publicly provided any insight beyond : "didn't think anybody used those", which is a really ignorant comment considering he's the CEO of an app-company and WP does in fact have > 50 million users.

We say that the CEO of Snapchat is avoiding WP because he hates it, not because it wouldn't be profitable for his company.

I can't speak for others, but that's definitely not what I'm saying. For all I know, Evan Spiegel may be holding the Snapchat app hostage, in order to extort ransom money from MS for its release. That's a crummy thing to do, but it may be a great business decision. Could be any of a dozen other things as well. I don't know.

You stated that a Snapchat app for WP may not be profitable, but if that's your criteria, then Snapchat shouldn't exist for iOS or Android either. Snapchat is not profitable on any platform. Snapchat has no notable profits. What they have are investments, from investors hoping to cash out big-time when the service is eventually sold to Facebook / Google / Whomever.

IMHO creating a WP app offers three important benefits:

• the goodwill that is generated
  • potentially an extra 50 million sets of eyeballs looking at their discover-advertisements
  • most importantly, the elimination of any probability of a similar service popping up on WP (because a demand exists for a service which isn't being provided) which could become a potential competitor.
Considering those benefits, and that a Snapchat app for WP can be developed for far less than 0.1% of the investments being made into their company (chump change), I'd say not providing a WP app is undisputedly irrational. Evan Spiegel could provide more information and cause me to change my mind though, that I'll admit to. So far he just hasn't. I doubt he ever will.

Last edited:

Daniel Olsen

May 3, 2013
Visit site
This conversation between a Windows Phone user and @snapchatsupport on Twitter pretty much sums it up. https://twitter.com/snapchatsupport/status/593080402417418241 Don't be disappointed, we will see Android apps on Windows soon.....

Yeah I saw that today.. :[

I'm excited for android apps though. There are lots of people on android who love windows, but are only there because they need their apps. Android apps will draw in more people, and the developers will follow. After windows has a large enough user base, developers will start to catch on and make universal apps. Right now isn't the time for Microsoft to focus on developers, they need to focus on drawing in people. Devs follow users.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Android on Windows Phone isn't going to help with Snapchat without Google Play Services which we certainly won't have.

Blackberry is in the same boat we are, with the banhammer falling on their equivalent of 6snap and stuff. They have Android apps, but Snapchat is hit-and-miss. I got an ancient version to work, but its a fine balancing act.

joymariah041

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
Threads like this aren't convincing anyone anymore. The assumption that Snapchat cares about what a few million WP users want is just too obviously flawed. We could send a million tweets to Snapchat every day, telling them we want an app, to which they'd still reply: then get a different phone. No amount of complaining and whining will change their mind. For Snapchat, such complaints are basically free marketing on twitter.

The only thing that can work, is the establishment of an alternative service that does the same thing, on all platforms. Going completely silent, while simultaneously convincing millions of people to flock to a competitor would change their minds. Ironically, the best way to get snapchat is to have WP users initiate a popular movement towards something else.

Coming from being a BB user for years, I've come to believe that you are exactly right. Sad but true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos