Skype versions RT, APP, WP Xbox One and desktop

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
As per title really, it seems so frustrating, but if I send a picture from the desktop version of Skype you get different results depending on what version it's going to.

OK I admit I haven't had a chance to do a full test of what does and doesn't work between the versions but I was about to show my wife how to send pictures (She has a 8.1 laptop using the app, a Surface 2 also the app, an 830 and an Xbox One) and I had to give up because I got the "Don't show me if it don't work properly" look.

I am guessing on the results so far it's the app on the Surface 2 that is the issue, but it could also be the app version V the desktop.

I intend to do a full test by sending pictures from every version to every other version when I get a chance, but in the meantime is there any know cross version issues I can rule out?

It really shouldn't be like this, and god knows what my daughters are seeing on Macs (Although it probably works better).

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I use the Skype app on my Surface 2 and my phone.
I never added a picture yet but sometimes I get one.
On my phone i can see the picture or tap on the link to,open it but on my surface2 I get
"This device doesn't support Skype's new photo sharing features yet, but you can still view it in your browser here: " and the link goes to the web version were I can login (actual never did it).

So at least the RT app version is not "up to date" but there is no newer version in the store.

Update.

Just try to send a picture in skype in the surface 2 app (used the big + sign) and got on my phone
" Xxxxxx sent you a file using an old file transfer service that is not supported in this version of Skype"

And on my surfase 2 skype app the picture sending is "hanging" on 0 %

Last edited:

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Pretty much what I saw, I am on nights this week so no chance to do a full test until the weekend.

Awkward for me as it's the Surface 2 that my wife would normally pick up and look at messages etc.

Will still do the test, but also have to figure out a way of getting the wife confident with Skype with a crippled device, seeing as the Surface 2 isn't going full 10, it could be a replacement is on the cards in the future ;-)

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Getting ready for work, but just got my boy to send me a picture from the desktop version of Skype, when I view it on the desktop V it shows OK, on my phone OK, but when I look on the app version it says this isn't viewable click here to see it.

As mentioned this would be an issue for my wife, if it gets complicated she isn't interested, yes I can put the desktop version on her laptop but not on her Surface.

Just checked the same picture from my boy on the Xbox One and that is OK so it all comes down to the App version being not so hot, so will be looking to ditch the Surface 2 or somehow train my wife to accept that Skype works seamlessly on everything except it when dealing with pictures..

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb