Any other office alternatives

harihar akhil

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I have an existing office 365 pro plus subscription given by my university in which I only want to install word,PowerPoint and OneNote and all I could find how to customize click to run versions in internet which always run in background even when office isn't being used.

Then i tried the ISO which I was able to install only selected programs but after installing,windows started giving me updates for Lync,groove,publisher,access even when they are selected as not available during install. Then I reinstalled windows to not to have any traces of office than to uninstall.

This time I downloaded apps available in windows store and these are just like a text editors with little functionality. I cant select size of document(a3,a4 etc.,), no ruler on left side and nothing compared to office suite for android which blows these apps which isn't available for windows.

So I want to know other alternatives for ms office which are 100% compatible without any issues. Tried libre office ,WPS office but they didn't work with the documents I handle.How come these don't work properly where I haven't had any issues with office suite professional on my android tablet.

Last edited:

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've tried a couple alternatives during the years, but none came even close to MS Office. Not only in terms of functionality, but also compatibilty. Business use MS Office and nothing else. And many times I tried to open a document I created using one of the alternative software solutions in an according alternative program, styles were completely messed up.
If Office 365 isn't for you, I suggest you bite the bullet and purchase a "full" version.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Why do you have a problem with the whole office suite being installed? I have more than I need on a daily basis, but I just pin the most used ones to my start menu.

harihar akhil

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Why do you have a problem with the whole office suite being installed? I have more than I need on a daily basis, but I just pin the most used ones to my start menu.

Storage and mostly I hate programs installed that I don't even use in my life.

And to the most crappy click to run(which can be customized) install method.It always run in background even when I am not using it.Disabling click to run makes office unusable.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In the Control Panel, go to "Programs and Features"

Select Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 (I guess that's what version you have) and hit "Change" (next to uninstall).

When the install box pops up, select "Add or Remove Features", and remove any programs you don't want.

If you don't get this option, speak to IT support for your university.

harihar akhil

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
In the Control Panel, go to "Programs and Features"

Select Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 (I guess that's what version you have) and hit "Change" (next to uninstall).

When the install box pops up, select "Add or Remove Features", and remove any programs you don't want.

If you don't get this option, speak to IT support for your university.

As i said in my first post selecting not available during install does not install it but windows pushes updates even to groove,Skype for business,publisher,access which aren't installed.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
As i said in my first post selecting not available during install does not install it but windows pushes updates even to groove,Skype for business,publisher,access which aren't installed.

Then don't install them. You have a choice, right? On my phone I've not installed the new version of nokia creative studio

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Uninstalling the unwanted features is the best option, but look at Kingsoft's office suite. I'm not real familiar with it though I put it on my father-in-law's PC. He didn't need any office programs more than a few times a year so it seemed a waste to buy anything. The little I played with it impressed me; it seemed a solid light version of MS Office.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Uninstalling the unwanted features is the best option, but look at Kingsoft's office suite. I'm not real familiar with it though I put it on my father-in-law's PC. He didn't need any office programs more than a few times a year so it seemed a waste to buy anything. The little I played with it impressed me; it seemed a solid light version of MS Office.

Kingsoft Office, Open Office, Libre Office all use the same code base from the same open source project. Since Libre Office has already been deemed unsuitable, I can guarantee Kingsoft Office will also be unusable for the needs of this individual.

My dad uses Kingsoft Office and swears by it. I really liked Open Office for several years, but needing better compatibility with Microsoft Office forced me out of it. I've heard many people say that Open Office/Libre Office is perfect with being compatible with Microsoft Office, but I've found it messes up the formatting pretty bad except on very simple documents.

If you need it for work, you'll just have to bite the bullet and deal with the full Office.

Unfortunately, Microsoft pushes out updates for "Microsoft Office" as a package in-full. It does not push out individual updates for Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, etc. to my knowledge. This means if you want or need to use Microsoft Office, you'll be forced into receiving the updates.

Here's the good news, however. Those updates ARE downloaded for install, but the programs themselves are NOT installed. For example, if you chose not to install Lync, then while updates may be downloaded and stored for Lync, only the smaller update is downloaded, and not the full app. The reason it downloads the update is because if you ever decide to go back to your installation media, as many people do later, and install that program, the updates will be available for it.

It's not an ideal way to handle it, I admit. Unfortunately, I don't make the decisions or Microsoft would do a lot of things different from how they do them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)