Trick Groove into doing its job and adding your music to its library

Brian Stobbe

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
If anyone has a full proof way to get that little toast message in Groove that its adding songs to the library please enlighten the rest of us! I'm pretty sure its a MAJOR design flaw and even a Groove developer would ultimately tell ya you're SOL. Should you be so lucky to get the message, plan on staying by your phone for awhile... the developers in their infinite wisdom programmed it to only work while the screen is on. Genius!! Songs get added around 10 a second which on the surface sounds ok but compared to many other similar apps is dog slow. Any sizable catalog takes hours upon hours to show up in Groove. Once the music is there its riddled with missing art and ID3 tag info that virtually every other app would find on your mp3s. Over\under on how many months or years it will be before someone at Microsoft wakes up and puts the effort into fixing this? I wager 3 years... at which point they'll have rebranded it again.. :unhappysweat:

PhineasTD

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
I may not necessarily be answering your question but I hope this sheds some light.

I don't allow Groove to use cellular but it IS allowed to auto update on Wifi, which it does. When on Wifi, groove will refresh my library, update tags, and refresh art...but it does so regardless of screen on or off. It does display that annoying little banner but it's only bothersome while I quickly seek out some song and then go back to...whatever. Personally, I only move music to/from the device over usb 3 and not over air, faster for me. Plus with the wifi connectivity issues I've experienced it just seems to be the more reliable option.

Brian Stobbe

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
Where are you configuring sync over wifi, not celluar? I have no sync groups setup in WMP or however you do that. I simply have a SD card with mp3s in the Music folder. I launched File Explorer from the Windows Phone Companion app with the phone connected to my Desktop ov Usb. I copied my music collection over to the card within my phone in this manner. 16 hours later it finished copying. Launched Groove, it added music to the library, stopped after awhile, and never finished.

PhineasTD

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
Under settings->data usage I turn of cellular when I am out and about. It's unorthodox and inconvenient...but it works. Also, have groove set to run in the background.

Knowing now that you're using a microSD, I think that I may better understand your issue and my earlier comments won't help. There have been other topics with folks having problems with SD cards and storage, speed, and access overall. It may be worth your time to read user comments regarding MicroSD problems and solutions. Personally, I've held off on installing one until I've gathered some more knowledge about it.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Under settings->data usage I turn of cellular when I am out and about. It's unorthodox and inconvenient...but it works. Also, have groove set to run in the background.

Knowing now that you're using a microSD, I think that I may better understand your issue and my earlier comments won't help. There have been other topics with folks having problems with SD cards and storage, speed, and access overall. It may be worth your time to read user comments regarding MicroSD problems and solutions. Personally, I've held off on installing one until I've gathered some more knowledge about it.

will it add newly added songs in the background /with the app closed if u let the app run in the background?

Sent from mTalk

Brian Stobbe

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site

Thank you for trying but turning off celluar is not a full proof way to initiate library building in Groove. The issue is not getting the music onto the phone, its all on my microSD card already. The issue is with Groove adding it all to its library. I've already read numerous threads here about sdCard performance with Groove. In all honesty I know there isn't a solution to this question at the moment. I posted this more for saving others time when researching the same problem and as a place everyone can be alerted once Groove addresses it.

PhineasTD

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
@ Sedp23 I am honestly not sure but would imagine that it would after the process was initiated while groove was open (one would hope)

@Brian I'd misunderstood at the start it seems. Library refresh has been quite prompt for me, but of course my music is saved to my device at present. I'm still waiting on more solid information regarding the MicroSD's and their support in W10M. The .63 build addressed this somewhat but I still haven't jumped in to try it.

Groove still seems a bit unfinished on mobile and I have had some issues (abruptly closing for no reason and songs changing halfway through). I don't use the desktop version however I wonder if a solution may be there for you?

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I can't understand why they can't just open up the Zune code and review their approach to syncing. It was seamless. Plug your phone into your pc, open up Zune, add music right from the app.

It's like they have too much pride to use Zune as a reference point or someone is trying to reinvent the wheel.

Bert McGaughey

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi Brian,

I have followed and commented on your other thread. There is no solution for this.

Groove is a beta app which has been released too early.

After a lot of trial and error, the solution is a different app called Perfect Music.

It is very polished, and well supported with manual and automatic scanning of local storage.

It's free too.

Bert

tuxedo323

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
OP, if you are asking about new music added after you have added music previously, this is what I have to do whenever I buy new music in iTunes and try to add it to my phone using the windows phone desktop app.

After all your new music has been added via windows phone desktop app, unplug your device, then delete ALL playlists, then plug back in to your pc and re-sync. Depending on how big your playlists were, it will take about 5 minutes to refresh and discover all your new music in Groove. You must have background enabled for groove, keep the app open, and make sure your phone is plugged in to an outlet or at least be above 20% (this is for battery saver). It seems there is a problem that causes the groove app to hang if your new music is part of a playlist. It worked for me at least with iTunes. Hope they get this sorted soon. It's kind of a way to force a refresh of new content. Good Luck!

Bert McGaughey

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
OP, if you are asking about new music added after you have added music previously, this is what I have to do whenever I buy new music in iTunes and try to add it to my phone using the windows phone desktop app.

After all your new music has been added via windows phone desktop app, unplug your device, then delete ALL playlists, then plug back in to your pc and re-sync. Depending on how big your playlists were, it will take about 5 minutes to refresh and discover all your new music in Groove. You must have background enabled for groove, keep the app open, and make sure your phone is plugged in to an outlet or at least be above 20% (this is for battery saver). It seems there is a problem that causes the groove app to hang if your new music is part of a playlist. It worked for me at least with iTunes. Hope they get this sorted soon. It's kind of a way to force a refresh of new content. Good Luck!

Hiya Tuxedo, this is actually about adding new music not adding new playlists. The OP (and I) find that adding any new tracks to our sd cards does not trigger a scan of local storage for new music. Playlists or no.

I take your point re. battery saver and battery level though. But this really is a bug in a beta app, there should be a setting/button/option to trigger a scan like other apps have, it's quite a big oversight.

Brian Stobbe

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
Yeah... people seem to be confusing sync and Groove building its library. They are two different processes. Sync is one of several means of getting mp3's onto your phone or its card. Once the music is local to your phone however an app like Groove still has to index it, build its own library of it, whatever you want to call it. This indexing process is where I'm having an issue with a large collection on a sdCard. The indexing only seems to work while your phone screen is on and after some time it will just stop indexing. What I'm asking about is if anyone has a full proof way to restart Groove's indexing process.

tuxedo323

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeah... people seem to be confusing sync and Groove building its library. They are two different processes. Sync is one of several means of getting mp3's onto your phone or its card. Once the music is local to your phone however an app like Groove still has to index it, build its own library of it, whatever you want to call it. This indexing process is where I'm having an issue with a large collection on a sdCard. The indexing only seems to work while your phone screen is on and after some time it will just stop indexing. What I'm asking about is if anyone has a full proof way to restart Groove's indexing process.

I'm actually not confusing sync with reindexing. I know the difference between the two and as I stated earlier, when I add new music to my phone that is how I get groove to refresh, recognize and add the new music. I mentioned "sync" because using the windows phone desktop app makes it work for me.

Brian Stobbe

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
I'm actually not confusing sync with reindexing. I know the difference between the two and as I stated earlier, when I add new music to my phone that is how I get groove to refresh, recognize and add the new music. I mentioned "sync" because using the windows phone desktop app makes it work for me.

I guess I'm not understanding how to leverage what you're suggesting because I don't have any playlists yet and I don't sync music. I just launch File Explorer from the Phone Companion app on the desktop and copy my music into the music folder. Somehow this File Explorer is different when launched from the Phone Companion app though because it asks about converting non mp3 files to mp3 format, addresses files with too long of a name, asks about copying m3u playlists, etc....none of which happens when you copy files with regular old File Explorer to the SD card in a Usb converter. Anyway, after the card is loaded with music I unplug my phone from the desktop, launch Groove, and it never adds any new music.

Last edited:

tuxedo323

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I guess I'm not understanding how to leverage what you're suggesting because I don't have any playlists yet and I don't sync music. I just launch File Explorer from the Phone Companion app on the desktop and copy my music into the music folder. Somehow this File Explorer is different when launched from the Phone Companion app though because it asks about converting non mp3 files to mp3 format, addresses files with too long of a name, asks about copying m3u playlists, etc....none of which happens when you copy files with regular old File Explorer to the SD card in a Usb converter. Anyway, after the card is loaded with music I unplug my phone from the desktop, launch Groove, and it never adds any new music.
I'll summarize...... Use the windows phone desktop app to sync, not file explorer.

Arlan Henry

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
In order to re-index you gotta restart the sync process. That's the only way to do it.

It's highly annoying.

I usually set my lockscreen timeout to NEVER when doing this.

Brian Stobbe

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
In order to re-index you gotta restart the sync process. That's the only way to do it.

It's highly annoying.

I usually set my lockscreen timeout to NEVER when doing this.

Worse than highly annoying, it's highly impossible on a 950. Selecting sync under the Groove phone app cog wheel (settings) does not start the indexing. No option anymore for never showing the lock screen. 5 minutes is the max.

Brian Stobbe

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
I'll summarize...... Use the windows phone desktop app to sync, not file explorer.
From what I understand the "Windows Phone Desktop app" has been replaced by "Windows Phone Companion". Which are you using? I haven't fully researched but I'm pretty sure I am limited to using the latter with Windows 10 and my Lumia 950.

Arlan Henry

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I meant to get back to you for a while now. Since the last Groove music update, songs are instantly added once you download them. I just go to files, and play one song, then in about 4-6 seconds, all the newly downloaded songs are added to the library.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea