Is there a way to disable automatic inking when using a pen with Office 2016?

Skoen

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Wow, just wow. Does Microsoft really restrict such options only based on what version of the same software we have.. (Phuba is on"Office 365" and I'm on "Home and Student 2016"). I love Office, but this is frustrating :(

I have updated to the same version 16.0.7070.2026 to confirm this--> see pics (In Norwegian, but the layout should be the same)

s1.PNG
Version number...
s2.jpg
Word 2016, Advanced options

I can put up more pics, but I need to test size adjustment first (yes I'm a bit of a noob when it comes this) :).

NISTabletSW

Oct 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi PHuba,

What version of Office 2016 are you using?

Is it Office 365 or the single license stand alone version or Office?

I have the Student/Home Edition of Office 2016.

I cannot find the pen option in the Advanced Section of Word?

Thanks,

Sean.

PHuba

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi PHuba,
What version of Office 2016 are you using?
Is it Office 365 or the single license stand alone version or Office?
I have the Student/Home Edition of Office 2016.
I cannot find the pen option in the Advanced Section of Word?
Thanks,
Sean.
Hi Sean, it looks like you get info the same situation as Skoen (just one reply above tours in This thread).
My version, is (translated in English) "Family Edition" (a 100€ yearly subscription to Office365 allowing sharing with 5 family members and installation on 5 PCs or Macs and 5 phones/tablets - I am living in Belgium, I don't know if such version exists in your country nor the precise differences with the "student" edition. All this is shown and explain in my reply to Skoen in this thread on 07-17-2016. 04:14pm. (have a look).
I had a look, to days Office version installed on my Microsoft Surface Pro 3 is 16.0.7167.2060
Pierre

thisisjakea

Jan 3, 2017
Visit site
I'm using a Wacom Mobile Studio Pro 16 (but same software as any Wacom product) and I find that if I disable "Use Windows Ink" in Wacom Tablet Properties under Calibrate, then it solves the problem and OneNote recognizes my pen as a regular cursor. It sounds like a lot of people are using Surfaces? See if "Windows Ink" is an option anywhere. Hope that helps!!

dc3401

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
I'm using a Wacom Mobile Studio Pro 16 (but same software as any Wacom product) and I find that if I disable "Use Windows Ink" in Wacom Tablet Properties under Calibrate, then it solves the problem and OneNote recognizes my pen as a regular cursor. It sounds like a lot of people are using Surfaces? See if "Windows Ink" is an option anywhere. Hope that helps!!

This is a great solution, and it works!!! I don't have to go into each program to change the setting each time. Thanks...you are wonderful. I'm using wacom intuos 3.

Willy99

Jan 6, 2018
Visit site
RJ DesignWorks posted exactly what I seem to be missing. I DO have a Microsoft Surface Book and I DO have Office Professional plus 2016 (version 1711), but I don't see the Pen option in my Advanced options settings in Word, Excel or Powerpoint.
What should I do ?
Capture.PNG

bmclachlan

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I don't think you can disable default inking in OneNote - it's the whole point of OneNote. Why not just use Word instead?

It seems to me that MS could simply program a menu button to allow the user to use the pen as a mouse. Then, when ink is needed, to tap on that menu button again to begin inking. Or, better yet, use the eraser button options (single click, double click, or hold) to switch the pen to mouse functions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99