04-13-2016 09:47 PM
61 123
tools
    Isn't there also a report floating around that there's a big update coming for Microsoft maps?

For those having issues with poor data for areas, it is dependent on how good the local mappers are and how often they add and update map entries.

I did some mapping for here maps in 2014 and made about 18500 edits. But since then I haven't added any more as I don't have internet or time or the incentive
    03-16-2016 05:36 AM
    Here maps are really nice, i love them. I use mainly in the city i don't know, mostly for orientation and walking. That is why eyesight feature is crucial to me, and will miss it if they are gone. Sometimes I also use MS Maps, and they seem to work just fine.

My question is this: On 8.1 i had installed Here maps. Great, when upgraded to W10M they migrated with no problem, continued to use them to this date. If i am constantly making backups, will I still be able to get them when i recover backup to some new, future device? I'm asking because it has happened before when people couldn't download Lumia camera app (or wasn't even listed in store), but since i had it backed up, it automatically restored when i did a hard reset. Is there a possibility it will work like this, or will they completely remove Here?
    03-16-2016 06:10 AM
    Suggest them the feature or use both apps:) Just bought GMaps Pro based on suggestion here. I just need the google map data and can use Sygic as a voice navigation app.

I didn't find how to share location offline through sms in Sygic 😐

To do it, i needed gMaps+ to share
    ali80 and svknet like this.
    03-16-2016 07:30 AM
    Maps has been my go-to map app since last year. HERE started to deteriorate, at least on Windows, quite some time ago, and I almost never use a driving app--they are dangerous! Seriously, if you drive with any type of display distracting you, especially at night when it ruins your vision, you are just asking for an accident. #1 best substitute is a good paper map--gives you a big picture while at the same time giving great detail. You simply can't get that combination on a tiny screen, and zooming in and out is not the same. Gmap is OK, especially for Street View, which is usually better than Microsoft's Streetside simply because of coverage. But, when Streetside is available--take a look at Seattle for example--it is pretty close to Street View. On my Lumia 640 Streetside scrolls faster and smoother than Street View on Gmap. As to map accuracy--very hard to say. They all have their major failures, and they all have areas where they are fine.
    coltpeacemaker041 likes this.
    03-16-2016 08:50 AM
    Edit: Is the new Maps on windows 10 different? does it have turn by turn voice nav built in?
    Yes, it's worlds better than the default app on 8.1

It has turn by turn voice nav built in, and is basically on par or superior to Here Drive/Maps in most regards that I've tried.
    03-16-2016 09:36 AM
    Yes, it's worlds better than the default app on 8.1

It has turn by turn voice nav built in, and is basically on par or superior to Here Drive/Maps in most regards that I've tried.

Wow great thank you. Do you know if it offers multiple routes?
    03-16-2016 11:33 AM
    I'm trying to use it, but it seems completely broken. Search doesn't work. On the same phone, with the same maps, HERE maps works fine.
    Example: search for "home depot". On HERE maps, I get a list of Home Depot stores, listed in order of proximity to my location. On Microsoft Maps, I get two irrelevant results (neither are Home Depot stores) in Oregon, and I'm nowhere near Oregon. MMaps does have my correct location, so that isn't the problem.
    Working for me on W10M 10586.164.

I only have 1 Home Depot anywhere close so I went for the omnipresent McDonalds for my example. This was a search from inside Maps (no Cortana initiated issues ether.) Seems to me that #1 result might be a tad further as the crow flies, but faster to drive given traffic and light conditions...

wp_ss_20160316_0001.png
    03-16-2016 04:43 PM
    I'm on .164 and Maps does not give me any driving navigation or sound. The map doesn't fully render either.

Anyone else?
    03-16-2016 09:14 PM
    This is so weird...I searched for "mcdonalds" and it worked (for the first time, I've never seen Microsoft Maps work before). Great. So I tried the "home depot" search again...fail. Then I tried "mcdonalds" again....no results.

I don't get it. Whatever the problem is, I hope they fix it before June 30 (HERE maps defenestration day).

While I'm complaining, why doesn't Maps show search suggestions? C'mon guys, it's 2016, not 2001.
    03-16-2016 10:06 PM
    I'm from Sri Lanka. Used to HERE, tried maps yesterday and it was a complete disaster. I set the route while i was getting to the car, 5 mins into driving, it couldn't locate my position and update the route! (even if I completely exited it and restarted maps, it was unable to find location. I feel like I'm using a damn test device that works sometimes...
    03-16-2016 10:20 PM
    Got curious after reading these posts as I rarely use voice navigation. Using Maps app tried 3 different locations that were not in my favorites list. Got search suggestions and when I chose directions, got voice navigation as well. Unlocked AT&T 640 running W10M .164
    03-16-2016 10:38 PM
    This is so weird...I searched for "mcdonalds" and it worked (for the first time, I've never seen Microsoft Maps work before). Great. So I tried the "home depot" search again...fail. Then I tried "mcdonalds" again....no results.

I don't get it. Whatever the problem is, I hope they fix it before June 30 (HERE maps defenestration day).

While I'm complaining, why doesn't Maps show search suggestions? C'mon guys, it's 2016, not 2001.
    Try another place and see.

Mcdonals not healthy and it could be the reason why it didnt work with you
    03-16-2016 10:55 PM
    I'm from Sri Lanka. Used to HERE, tried maps yesterday and it was a complete disaster. I set the route while i was getting to the car, 5 mins into driving, it couldn't locate my position and update the route! (even if I completely exited it and restarted maps, it was unable to find location. I feel like I'm using a damn test device that works sometimes...
    This is happening with me with HERE and I thought its something with wp8.1. Because I was swapping with the two apps.

I guess its because you turned off the location and then turn it on again?
    03-16-2016 11:00 PM
    Here again we see a result thats caused by Micrsosoft own ****ery. Like they stated in the blog, they would have to re-write the whole app for Windows 10, so they are pulling it. Microsoft has done this several times with WP. They start over, they make changes that essentially need tohers to work also from the ground up. Bunch of morons, here was great, although it seems to be better on Android, all the different apps are in one app, but still, it was a good thing for WP.
    03-17-2016 12:33 AM
    This is happening with me with HERE and I thought its something with wp8.1. Because I was swapping with the two apps.

I guess its because you turned off the location and then turn it on again?
    nope.My location is set to always on. HERE maps / HERE drive picks up the location accurately! but MS maps app sucks balls.
    ScubaDog likes this.
    03-17-2016 12:36 AM
    the Windows Maps app uses bing+here+navteq data anyways... i've not used Here in a long time, so wouldnt really miss it..
    neither of them are anywhere near google maps on search results.. so what i typically do is use a third party app for google maps (like gmaps pro / maps+ etc) find they location that i need.. then i use maps to navigate to the same.. sometimes i let the gmaps app itself navigate..
    the advantage with third party apps for gmaps is that i can use the offline maps rendering from bing(maps)/here and only use google for search.. getting the best of both worlds (offline navigation + comprehensive search results ) :)

i do try maps.google.com on edge.. but its still not a complete experience...
    03-17-2016 04:14 AM
    One question: How do we migrate our HERE favourites? :(

Been on HERE since forever through my Nokia N95, N86, N8, Lumia 920 and now 950. Have a ton of saved places in about 10 countries, can't afford to start all over again in a new map app even if it has voice navigation and offline maps.
    03-17-2016 05:18 AM
    ...Edit: Is the new Maps on windows 10 different? does it have turn by turn voice nav built in?
    Yes, Windows Maps on 10 mobile has turn by turn voice nav built in

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see that this was already answered.
    03-17-2016 10:57 AM
    I would like to see a Garmin nav app for Win10M.
    Windows maps on 10 is OK, I guess.
    Regarding Sygic, looks good but I think it is overpriced. I would pay no more than $15.00 for it. Also there are additional costs for other options...
    03-17-2016 04:02 PM
    Wow great thank you. Do you know if it offers multiple routes?
    Yes, it offers several options for routes.
    03-17-2016 10:38 PM
    As far as I'm concerned, there are no great alternatives to HERE. I loved the ability to change the voice to a female Brit, I loved (and extensively used) Livesight, and the accuracy of directions was amazing. Microsoft Maps certainly has NONE of that. And I've not seen those features in alternatives.
    zack251 likes this.
    03-19-2016 05:44 PM
    I would really love if MS adds the ability to tag places via mobile, this would add some momentum to the maps in places like sri lanka. I can tag a whole lot of places if this is enabled.
    03-19-2016 09:14 PM
    I find the windows maps perfectly suitable. Shows you what side of the street an address is on and ends with the final destinations address. Didn't see that on HERE.
    Also HERE has a bad habit of announcing exits when you are right up on them or ( and this is kind of hard to describe), but sometimes it would also talk too much (ancillary info) during these critical times while not get to getting to the "point" quick enough i.e. which exit is mine east, west, 11a, 11b etc.

I'd often intentionally slow down at exits to let it finish yacking.
    03-19-2016 09:40 PM
    I think we can all agree that they need to bring some of the features HERE had to the new maps and it will be ok. I miss Livesight the most, and ability to choose voice, but the rest works nice!
    03-20-2016 12:49 PM
    I live in a pretty obscure country, and upon learning that HERE won't be with us any more after installing wm10 OTA, i tried out the stock maps app, and it worked perfectly for a half hour test, finding even the obscure pedestrian routes in my city.
    03-21-2016 01:44 AM
61 123