I am completely over groove music!

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
To Ubizmo:

Go to your settings on each device and choose to download music added to your collection, also choose to do the same with music you buy or add to OneDrive.

If you are talking about already collected MP3's, just point groove to the folder you have your files stored and Groove will add them.

The one thing I would consider especially if you have a large collection is maybe add some at a time to allow the database to catch up.

If you add your MP3's to OneDrive and then choose to download them, you are effectively playing local files, but now ones that are shared across devices.

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
To Ubizmo:

Go to your settings on each device and choose to download music added to your collection, also choose to do the same with music you buy or add to OneDrive.

Thanks for the help.

I see no such setting on my Lumia 640XL.

If you are talking about already collected MP3's, just point groove to the folder you have your files stored and Groove will add them.

I also don't see any obvious way to point Groove to folders.

I can long press on a title and tell Groove to download it. It seems to place things under a code name in a folder called "OneDrive Cache".

Jonnny4

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
You know you have it better than I do right now. I had to make the switch to an iPhone for work and I also have an android so for me groove music doesn't work right at all. I can't add music to my collection or download it to play offline because the apps are bugged. I can't stream anything I have added to my PC in the last 6 months because it doesn't update my collection. I am still on this forum because I want my Windows Phones back so badly, lol.

jfavellanedab

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I ran away from Groove music from the begining, It did not work neither IOS or Windows 10. It a mess when you travel overseas for rights stuff. I swiched to Spotify and problems solve. You can save playlist for offline listening and it works perfect in IOS (both macBook and IPhone), Windows 10 PC and Mobile. Let Bill Gates resolved his own problems....

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
I don't really "get" Groove Music, but from what I can tell it's mainly, or perhaps exclusively, a cloud-based service. Is that right? I do keep my music in OneDrive, but I prefer to play music stored locally on the SD card. Groove doesn't appear to do that, or if it does I haven't figured out how. So I downloaded Core for local music playback, and it seems to work fine. If someone knows of a better player for SD-only music, I'd be happy to hear about it.

You can play music from the SD card with Groove.

If you store your music on OneDrive, you can download selected playlists, albums, to your SD card.

I like this functionality. I don't want all of my giant music collection on a chip. So, I put it in OneDrive and stream it. Or, when I won't be connected to wifi, I download it to my sd card.

Overall, I like Groove. It's catalog is biggest. To me, it's "radio" feature creates better Playlist than, say, Spotify.

FWIIW: It takes some time to "index" all the tracks, but after a couple of days, it settles down.

Last edited:

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Did signing off temporarily and restarting the app solve the issue? Also, try disable auto fetch of audio tags in settings.

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
The problem is, Groove ignores your tags and invents its own. That may work for many popular songs, but it breaks others. My music library is perfectly tagged. After Groove reindex everything, some Albums are correct, but many incorrect. A total mess.

Core Player and some others don't mess with tags, and this is the recommended way to play local media.

Groove can stream your music from Onedrive, but again it retaggs everything building a faulty index. Same thing happens with Groove for iOS.

They want to be clever, but they mess up badly.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft have a habbit of taking something great then breaking it, rushing round trying to patch it then give up and release something inferior. Just copy Zune!!

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
@wgrs, you are exactly right. So is @ChristopherLindsay - Zune had it right, period. I am METICULOUS about curating my metadata for EVERY song on EVERY album. Groove totally pees on it. Even if the setting is configured to NOT grab the album data from Microsoft, Groove completely screws it up or, as bad, shows nothing. Why is this such a difficult thing? Just have the app give you a choice between grabbing metadata from the cloud or read that tags. I'll always have it read my tags because I KNOW THEY'RE CORRECT.

NPGMBR

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I thought that having my music on my phone was the best option but thats not how Microsoft apparently sees it. I recently, deleted all music from my SD Card with the exception of those tracks that cannot be streamed. Everything else I put in OneDrive (which I didn't want to do to save data). As a result, many of the issues I was having are now gone even the ridiculous non syncing issue.

middon

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
One other suggestion to help with sync issues:

I was having an issue with the groove PC app using my OneDrive\Music location as the default location. Seems to confuse the app since it's already set to read from that location and this is essentially telling it to check twice. I removed the default location and a lot of the sync issues went away (even on the phone).

Unfortunately groove keeps adding back the default location in settings so I just avoid using the PC app altogether, stick with the web app. Long story short don't set the default music location for the groove app on your PC to onedrive/music.

stlbud

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Someone suggested, "Everybody here who has an issue with Groove, please give MS feedback on the problem. Squeaky wheels don't get grease if they aren't heard."

Don't waste your breath, keystrokes or time. Microsoft isn't listening to anyone who has problems with Groove Music. They have no clue. Call tech support and they ask what console you are using Xbox 360 or Xbox One.

I've given up.

They win.

I'm not buying it anymore.

Good luck to anyone who wants to keep trying.

Bill B

ant_1974

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
On my pc my metadata works,all albums pics and artist images are present but copy same music same metadata to my lumia 950xl and many images and pics are missing

cmack0

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I have not had an issue with the music app/service since i moved all my songs to one drive. Albums and songs are recognized properly...maybe i'm just lucky

Panos Athanasiou

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
try to remove and re add the one drive folders maybe?
to me the only bad thing about groove was the times it got stuck and needed to restart my phone but it got fixed now sync and everything work perfectly it even displays my custom ablums with my own pictures names etc.

charktorious

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
I use the app on Windows 10 (Lumia 640) and although I wouldn't say I love the app, it does seem to work for me.

This includes finding music I've uploaded to OneDrive, plus music I've coped locally to a Music folder on my SD card. I generally use AAC and WMA btw, if that helps - I had actually added about 10 albums locally to the SD card earlier today, fired up Groove and it added those new albums almost immediately.

The PC app also seems to work, although in that case I use it only on OneDrive - it's too basic a player for my needs on my PC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs