Groove Music WILL NOT WORK if there is not internet or Wifi Connection

david1alp

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
So, I've been gradually transferring ALL of my music from my iPod -- to my Microsoft Lumia 535 phone with a 64GB Micro-SD card slotted in, so it will be able to fit ALL of my 30 odd GB's of music.. So far I have transferred approximately 130 albums onto the Microsoft Lumia phone.

Anyway, the other day I was driving somewhere and had plugged the Lumia phone into the car-radio socket using an adapter allows one to listen to any player through the car-speakers via the radio. It was fine when I was at my home, and when I had wifi or internet connection whilst driving about; but as soon as we came to an area where there was no internet connection, I lost the ability to listen to the music.

Not only was this bloody annoying -- it was highly dangerous, because there is the temptation to pick up the phone (whilst driving) to figure out what's wrong with it?? And why it has stopped playing, and to try to fix the problem!!!!

Anyway, I didn't put 2 and 2 together and realize what the problem was until a bit later... But I have finally realized that Groove Music WILL NOT work if you are in an area with no wifi connection!!!!!!!

So what's the point of that?????? The WHOLE POINT of me getting this phone was so I could listen to my own music whilst travelling about... Well I won't be able to listen to any of it when I go on holiday in September as we are going to a remote Scottish Village.

Can someone please tell me what the solution to this is????

(to be honest, I can't believe I'm having to ask this... I've had nothing but trouble ever since I first got this phone! had I known, I wouldn't have got it... Why EVER would you need an internet connection just to play your own mp3's??? )

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
I don't see how you're having this problem. I'm having no issues playing any of the local files on my L640 with W10M using Groove with Airplane mode on.
wp_ss_20160701_0001.png
Are you certain you have Groove set up to only play files "Available Offline"?

david1alp

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Yes but when I do that (i.e change the filter to Available Offline) it takes away a load of Albums off my list???

Why does it do this??? I HATE HATE HATE this music app!!! I've had nothing but trouble from it ever since the beginning!!! GRRRRRRRRRR!

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Yes but when I do that (i.e change the filter to Available Offline) it takes away a load of Albums off my list???

Why does it do this??? I HATE HATE HATE this music app!!! I've had nothing but trouble from it ever since the beginning!!! GRRRRRRRRRR!
It is taking away the albums that you don't physically have on the device. It is taking away stuff that you only have access to through OneDrive and Groove Music Pass while connected to the internet. If you want it for offline play, physically put them on the device. The app isn't doing anything wrong or unexpected here...

david1alp

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Ohhhhhh!! Something is beginning to snap into place in my brain at LONG last -- after three months of hell...

So what I do is... I have got ALL of my Music on the OneDrive, and then I listen to it with Groove Music...

So are you telling me that there is ANOTHER WAY of listening to my music??? Without having to use the OneDrive??? And WITHOUT Groove Music ???

Because IF there is ANOTHER WAY -- THEN PLEASE PLEASE tell me how to do it???

Can you please tell me of another Music App that I can use without the OneDrive!!!!!! And WITHOUT Groove Music!! I've had 3 months of HELL with Groove Music, and I go on holiday soon -- and THERE IS NO WAY its gonna work when i go away... Because we shall not have the internet...

So please tell me what to do??????????

I already have a 64GB Micro SD card... How do I get the Music onto it???? And what App can I listen to that music with???

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
You still use the Groove music app. It works perfectly fine for playing local music.

You take all the music you have on OneDrive, and copy it from OneDrive to your Phone while your phone is plugged in over USB. Go to the device in Windows Explorer, choose SD Card, go to Music, and copy/paste the files there.

tbsteph

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Open Groove. Select artist, album or song. Toward the top of the screen you should see "showing". Select and you will be able select all music, on my phone or streaming. When away from an online source (WiFi or cellular) choose on my phone. This will allow you to play any music physically on stored on your device.

tbsteph

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Open Groove. Select artist, album or song. Toward the top of the screen you should see "showing". Select and you will be able select all music, on my phone or streaming. When away from an online source (WiFi or cellular) choose on my phone. This will allow you to play any music physically on stored on your device.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Originally posted by Saijin_Naib
You still use the Groove music app. It works perfectly fine for playing local music.

You take all the music you have on OneDrive, and copy it from OneDrive to your Phone while your phone is plugged in over USB. Go to the device in Windows Explorer, choose SD Card, go to Music, and copy/paste the files there.

No it doesn't actually. I copied my local music from my pc to my sd card. Nothing was added to Groove. And worse, I go to file explorer and view the folders.....all the folders are empty. Wth. I hate this damn phone

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Try copying them one or a few at a time, but you can't blame Groove for not picking up the music if the folder is empty.

I use a mixture of local, Onedrive and music pass albums that have been added to my collection and downloaded and have over five hundred now, I can play all of them without a connection to the internet.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
No it doesn't actually. I copied my local music from my pc to my sd card. Nothing was added to Groove. And worse, I go to file explorer and view the folders.....all the folders are empty. Wth. I hate this damn phone

how did you copy? Copy and paste or drag and drop?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077