Twitter App Problem

Husky44

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
I updated my password on Twitter.com. When I tried to access my account using Windows 10 app on my laptop and on my phone, I get a message: "We're sorry, there was a problem completing the request. Please check your network connectivity and try again."

When I try to update my password in the app (on either device) I can click "settings" but when I click "Password" I get a blank screen.

I have deleted the app and reinstalled it on both devices. Same error, even after eliminating all connectivity to other apps.
When reinstalling (on either device) I get a "downloading" progress bar, then it says "Restoring User Data". It appears that this step is applying my old password during the setup process. I cannot get an option in the app to sign out and sign back in. How do I clear this "User data" that is being restored, or otherwise update my password in the app?

I asked this question on the MS Community App forum, and got the answer to contact Twitter. First, that's impossible. Second, the problem doesn't seem to be with the app itself, but with some "user data" stored either on my device, or accessed using my Windows identity. So, I don't think the problem exists in Twitter's code, but in the data stored on my devices. I've even tried guessing what the old password was, and resetting to that on the website, with no luck.

Any help?

Last edited:

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Here's one solution to clear the app user data. This feature is only available on PC as of now.

1. Go to Settings (WinKey + I)
2. System > Apps and features (the list might take some time to appear)
3. Find Twitter, click on it > Advanced options
4. Here you'll find the Reset button. Click on it.

Done. Your Twitter app will initialize to its default (new) state. Now try logging in again.

It this doesn't work, you can revoke access to the apps from the Twitter website.

1. Go to twitter.com, log in and go to Settings > Apps (shortcut:- https://twitter.com/settings/applications)
2. Revoke the access to the Twitter for Windows app. It's a UWP app so only one such options exists there
3. Now you can again try to login in to the W10 apps (before logging in you may reset the app again as mentioned earlier).

Hope this helps :)

Husky44

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions, Deepak. I had already revoked access to ALL apps from Twitter.com. That didn't help any. I tried using the RESET button as you described, and still get the same result.

It seems to me that the "user data" is some sort of password vault or similar that has my Twitter account info (outdated) that keeps getting reloaded anytime I install the app or reset it.

atwallbank

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I've got exaclty the same problem, which appeared to start about 5 days ago.
I revoked access to some old apps, and now neither of Windows 10 devices (phone or laptop) can access Twitter.
I guess i accidently revoked the wrong app, but I can't get it to re-force an 'oauth'
These are the things I've tried
- Uninstalling app on both devices
- Reset app in Windows 10 desktop
- Uninstall using Powershell
- Change password in Twitter (to force a re-auth)

Help! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss