I like the SMS fuction in Skype preview.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
OK woke up this morning and as long as you are on the release preview on phone and PC you can now send and receive SMS through Skype, so I quickly re-signed up for insiders on my SP3 and I was already on it on my 950XL and I LIKE it.

OK I am having an issue on my desktop PC (Separate post made) and this is a shame as this is where I really want it.

But once sorted Skype is going to be near my default comms program.

It will be really good when you can make a phone call using your phones minutes from you carrier on Skype through your PC as well.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
It may be good in the future but right now skype UWP is too slow. You open it and it goes through some "connecting" time and populating your contacts. It takes longer to load than messaging. Everything about messaging is better, faster, smoother. I don't use skype as a messaging client at all as most of my friends are on facebook messenger, line or whatsapp. So don't see any benefit.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Release preview???

I heard, and this was straight from MS, that you had to be on 14926 or 14931 on PC to do this. I will check and let you know if i can get it working.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
MS released it yesterday for the release preview :p

I did update skype and tried it on my phones and PCs and it works. There are some major disadvantages and things you will lose right now if you only use Skype as the default SMS app. I noticed right off the bat it doesn't show a number badge on the live tile just an (*). But ill give it a go see how good (or bad) it works.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Just set the wife up with the updated preview on her 830 and Surface Pro, but found lots of oddities.

When I set it up I could send my boy a text or IM and swap between them with ease, but on setting my wife up, she could either send an IM to a Skype contact or a SMS to a device contact, even though they were the same contact.

On looking through I noticed that my boy was the only Skype contact that was also a device contact that I had added his phone number in Skype.

To have the full functionality you need to do two things, 1 link your contacts in the people app. 2 Add their mobile to your Skype contact in their profile.

So I did this for all our Skype contacts, it took a few minutes to proliferate from device to device, but now both of us can send and receive texts and IM's in the one window from phone or surfaces (and eventually even my desktop) and send using what we want by just swapping between the two options.

Nice.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I've been waiting so long to have SMS sync to my desktop that I had to jump on board the preview now but there are a few frustrations. Thanks @bobvfr for giving me the answer to one of those. The others are:
1. As @Krystianpants noted, Skype Preview is slower to load than the messages app and seems to need to 'sync' on load before it can display new messages
2. Using Skype Preview for SMS breaks the reply functionality from my Band and Skype Preview has to be the default SMS app to get the message syncing. This one is particularly annoying because I often use my Band quick replies (e.g. 'yes', 'no', 'OK') and I've become accustomed to the convenience. Especially things like when I'm outside playing with/supervising my child, my phone is in the house and my wife messages to ask if she should pick up dinner.

I also think Skype Preview should be able to do it's message syncing in the background, and not as the default messaging app. I haven't looked into this in detail but there's an SmsMessageReceived background trigger specifically for this kind of thing. Obviously the MS devs know better than me but I am hopefully that these things can be resolved.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
its ok but at times messages never load/sync over to pc and in general syncs slow over to pc its a step in the right direction but then again it is still in preview so i cant complain too much

Sent from mTalk

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
You need to be on the anniversary update and on Insiders preview build, can't see why it wont work if you meet those criteria.

And to Sedp23, mine is almost instant, when a text hits my phone, my SP3 goes ping at almost the same time, sending seems pretty fast as well.

StarLord0890

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Wow I am not on release preview or anything but I can't wait for this feature to come. With how much w10m integrates with the pc and sms notifications already come on my pc i can't wait when I don't even have to pick up my phone to send a sms. This is an awesome idea. Love windows

Sent from mTalk

anon(10006943)

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
The new Skype preview build doesn;t give me the abillity to remove the complete chat history,it gives me only the abillity to removed my own personal chat history,but not from my chat partner,it;s still on the chat screen and i can;t remove it,the contact says that the history has been removed but if you tab on the contact details,the partner chat conversation are still visible.
I would really like to be able to remove the complete chat history,from myself and from my chat partner

Kevin Houle

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
So I had this whole thing going on release ring. but then decided to wipe my phone and reinstall the release ring preview. now Skype on my phone won't update beyond 11.8.197.0. I'm on the insider release ring, so I have no idea why its not working... Any help would be appreciated.

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Finally the SMS relay is back and afted a day I can say it works flawlessly so far. Only one thing bothers me, is there a way to see when or if the SMS was delivered?

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Finally the SMS relay is back and afted a day I can say it works flawlessly so far. Only one thing bothers me, is there a way to see when or if the SMS was delivered?

I see a "SMS sent" verification text under the last sent text through skype preview for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)