Do you now pay for SMS messages?

Doctor_Who

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I just noticed that the Skype Preview on my Windows 10 desktop has been replaced. The update to Skype is now in place. When I brought it up it displayed the popup announcing what's new. One of the things was sending SMS messages "with Skype credit"? Has that changed? I thought that sending a SMS message was free, when using Skype on one's phone. Or are they talking about sending an SMS message from one's desktop, laptop, tablet?

Rod

Withheld

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
The SMS credit is for those that don't have a phone.

If you want to send/receive SMS messages from your PC or just do a backup. You'll need to set Windows 10 Phone default SMS application.
To do this, open Skype on your phone > Settings > scroll down to SMS > Change default SMS application > default apps and set to Skype.
Go back in to Skype scroll down to SMS > New requests > Enter your PC's code from that devices Skype settings.
After that, your phone will begin to sync messages (it can take a while) then you can SMS from that device.
If you have multiple PC's or tablets, you can do this on all your devices.

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
I just noticed that the Skype Preview on my Windows 10 desktop has been replaced. The update to Skype is now in place. When I brought it up it displayed the popup announcing what's new. One of the things was sending SMS messages "with Skype credit"? Has that changed? I thought that sending a SMS message was free, when using Skype on one's phone. Or are they talking about sending an SMS message from one's desktop, laptop, tablet?

Rod

Seems like I am missing some point of Skype and Messaging combination... I always didn't understand what is the point of sending sms from Skype... simply, different UI?

Therefore, what are You talking about here? If I send sms to someone without Skype through Skype combined with Messaging, that sms is free (unlike You send sms through Messaging only)?

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Before the link to SMS via your phone you could send SMS messages from Skype, these cost you credits.

So for example you are at your PC and want to send an SMS, you don't own a phone, then use Skype and pay from your credits, the same as it's always been.

If you have a Windows phone you can tie the SMS function to Skype, when you send an SMS this way there is nothing to pay as you are just using your phones SMS allowance.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Skype to Skype calls/messages always free? I've never put a dime on my Skype account. BTW, I haven't used Skype for about a week.

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes Skype to Skype calls and Skype to Skype messages are FREE.

But if you call an "Outside" phone number or send and SMS to a mobile number, you pay by either a subscription or Skype credits.

If you make Skype your messaging app, you can use your phones SMS allowances to send the SMS messages.

But if you don't have a phone that can connect to Skype in this way and you want to send an SMS then it does cost you.

Its all very straight forward when you think it through but some folk seem to get confused by the options.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the US so sending SMS via another app other than the default messaging app makes no sense. I don't know of any plan on any carrier that doesn't provide unlimited SMS/MMS. A few years ago IM apps were all the rage because texting could be expensive, thus the emergence of BBM's popularity. I take it you're on the Continent and it might be different?

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
That's the point of it, with Skype you can call or SMS from your PC.

Same here in the UK most of us have unlimited texts so why pay, but if you are at a PC and want to send an SMS, you either need to tie into those unlimited texts you have using your phone, or pay.

So Skype gives you the option.

They also give you FREE messaging to other Skype users as well.

Got to admit I like and use Skype, but the integration of messaging is such a mess that I turn it off, trying my best to keep Skype for Skyping but I do like SMS from the PC (I actually send more when I am at a PC than if I use my phone) so I actually use Cortana for this as "She" can also send SMS using your phones allowances.

I doubt many people use the paid for ability to send SMS via Skype, but it's there as an option.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't think I've SMS anyone more than twice a month, for past god knows how many years... WhatsApp has become the defacto texting app worldwide.
If I'm on a PC, I'll use the browser web version.
I've been using Skype for past 7 years, but quit couple of months back.

... !

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't get Skype at all. Who would pay for that service?

Skype is a fantastic way to keep in touch with people world wide, and for most people most of the time it is a free service, video call, calls and messaging (Either singly or groups). All Skype to Skype communication is FREE PC to PC, PC to mobile as long as it's Skype to Skype.

If you have family or friends abroad or any distance away (My kids for example) then Skype is a fantastic service, millions of people use it daily.

I can sit at my PC and video call my eldest daughter 200 miles away and she can show me her pet cat climbing up the curtains, I don't need to use my phone. But like all tools, if you have no reason to use it then it's useless.

So no need to PAY for this service, Skype to Skype is FREE

You only have to pay if you want to call or message someone who isn't using Skype that you have to pay, and the reason for this is simple, Skype has to pay if someone dials a telephone number or sends a text that goes outside the system, so they pass on the charge (And hopefully make a small profit).

So if your question is slightly different and said "Who would pay to use some of the paid services".

Then it's up to you, I have a Free subscription of 60 minutes with my Office 365 service.

I had to phone my solicitors the other day and I wanted my wife and boy to be involved, yes I could have easily used my mobile on speaker, but I choose to use Skype to dial the number so I was using a desktop microphone and much larger speakers, so any one in the room could hear clearly and speak if needed, far better and it cost me a couple of minutes of my monthly free subscription.

Others use it as their main way of calling people worldwide full stop.

I chose to subscribe to a Skype telephone number, this gives me a "Landline number" I can give out and people can call me, I can answer the call on my PC's, Xbox One or mobile (Windows phone or my work Android).

No need to pay for these services, all comes down to choice.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Skype is a fantastic way to keep in touch with people world wide, and for most people most of the time it is a free service, video call, calls and messaging (Either singly or groups). All Skype to Skype communication is FREE PC to PC, PC to mobile as long as it's Skype to Skype.

If you have family or friends abroad or any distance away (My kids for example) then Skype is a fantastic service, millions of people use it daily.

I can sit at my PC and video call my eldest daughter 200 miles away and she can show me her pet cat climbing up the curtains, I don't need to use my phone. But like all tools, if you have no reason to use it then it's useless.

So no need to PAY for this service, Skype to Skype is FREE

You only have to pay if you want to call or message someone who isn't using Skype that you have to pay, and the reason for this is simple, Skype has to pay if someone dials a telephone number or sends a text that goes outside the system, so they pass on the charge (And hopefully make a small profit).

So if your question is slightly different and said "Who would pay to use some of the paid services".

Then it's up to you, I have a Free subscription of 60 minutes with my Office 365 service.

I had to phone my solicitors the other day and I wanted my wife and boy to be involved, yes I could have easily used my mobile on speaker, but I choose to use Skype to dial the number so I was using a desktop microphone and much larger speakers, so any one in the room could hear clearly and speak if needed, far better and it cost me a couple of minutes of my monthly free subscription.

Others use it as their main way of calling people worldwide full stop.

I chose to subscribe to a Skype telephone number, this gives me a "Landline number" I can give out and people can call me, I can answer the call on my PC's, Xbox One or mobile (Windows phone or my work Android).

No need to pay for these services, all comes down to choice.

Agree with your examples. I was speaking of the paid services. But that's neither here nor there, connectivity is extremely important.
I use FaceTime and iMessage. I like how iMessage works on all my devices, iPhone, iPad and MacBook. Best of all the messaging app works with all systems, so I can be on my iPad and messaging with my daughters who use Android without picking up my phone. I've only used FaceTime a few times, mostly when my wife or I are traveling for business.
Glad there's multiple choices. Use the one that works best for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12