Groove music on Android... Local media not supported?

simbadogg

Aug 28, 2008
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum or if anyone can help, but finally switched from WP to Android. One of the first things I did was copy all of my music (DRM free) from my computer to my GS8. Google play music recognizes the music folder, but groove doesn't see anything.

Is there anyway to make it see my local music library

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Man, just running into this problem now. I don't have unlimited data so I can't stream all the music that I already own. This is crazy that you cannot listen to locally stored music. Ridiculous. Using MS services on Android seems to suck, so many things seem to only partially work.

Tashannoc

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Groove doesn't recognize music in the Music folder, but if you download a track using the groove app you can have it stored locally and listen offline. There's a toggle to make playlists available offline as well.

2 things to note:
1. If you own the track it will download an MP3, and download a DRM track if it's part of your streaming pass. I'd recommend deleting the albums from your phone before you download them.
2. Groove won't use/recognize removable media, so you need to store on the phone itself, not an SD card.

I'm currently debating whether to switch to Spotify or Google Play Music when my Groove pass is gone. The ability to upload and stream my own music with Google is a big selling point, plus the app feels more user friendly to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos