Google app goes UWP - quietly include many apps like YouTube, Maps, Photo, Drive

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Today, I have found out that Google has updated their official Google app as UWP.

I do not know when they did this but seeing the description was still the same, I guessed it was changed recently.

So, now you can use their services on 5 platforms. See the photo here:

Screenshot (18).png

The Google UWP is pretty impressive because it includes most of their app suites like YouTube, Google Maps, Google Photo, Google Drive, etc. all in this one app.

Screenshot (19).png

As UWP app, the performance in opening and switching pages inside the app is pretty impressive. Although it looks like a web wrapper, that seems like a good start to me. At least Google does not totally ignore Windows platform as much like they used to do. :excited::excited:

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
That's good, but i never understood web wrappers. Why you need them when you can do the same on Edge, Monument or BlueSky browsers? Why taking space on your phone installing an app which is a web wrapper, right? :)

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I just searched for this in the store, on my phone and PC - I swear it used to be there on my PC, but I can't see any sign of it.

Not that I want it, I was just curious

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I just searched for this in the store, on my phone and PC - I swear it used to be there on my PC, but I can't see any sign of it.

Not that I want it, I was just curious
It's there. Of course in a MS store, a search for the exact spelling of the app puts it on page 3 or 4 of the results. Nah, there's no feuding ;)

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site
DOS ain't done 'till Lotus won't run!

I couldn't find it in the store app and had to google from the browser. Sure enough it was there.

That's Windows store for you. What I did was typing 'Google' and then scroll through pages for a loooonggggg time until I find it. It's there, well hidden.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Will give it a whirl again to see what is going on with it.

Update: is not able to run on my 950XL, but I have it in my library now. x86 x64 only still. Wonder when they will add the ARM support? Mobile is listed as a supported device in the description Available on

Last edited:

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Will give it a whirl again to see what is going on with it.

Update: is not able to run on my 950X, but I have it in my library now. x86 x64 only still. Wonder when they will add the ARM support? Mobile is listed as a supported device in the description Available on

Yeah I see some people put in the wrong supported devices by mistake, but it didn't use to have all those, so they have been added. Only a web wrapper, but its kind of curious. Wonder whats going on here....

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
That's Windows store for you. What I did was typing 'Google' and then scroll through pages for a loooonggggg time until I find it. It's there, well hidden.

It has a handful of ratings only from what I saw. Looks to be untouched by users for quite some time too.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
How do you tell the difference from just looking at the store? Or what is the real way to make the judgement whether it is a UWP app or not?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
^^Thanks. That is what I figured. Since it lists available for it (mobile/holo lens) but unsupported in the latter details, I wanted to make sure we knew if this was in fact UWP just not downloadable from the store on other platforms.

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site
My analysis on the chronology of this app is like this:
- Google has Windows 8 Search app for PC only.
- Google updated it to UWP, extended the availability to 5 platforms
- Google forgot to update the app description!
- Google also forgot to update the requirement section to make it actually available to 5 platforms

My take on Microsoft:
- Why Microsoft somehow allow an app to be available for mobile but allow the requirement of 'X86, X64' is beyond me. Some validation criteria must be added to make sure this does not happen.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I tried looking for the cache install package, but only found the metadata and xml files under the windowsapps folder. Figured I would copy it to my phone or see for myself if it really was missing the supporting files necessary for the other platforms.

ThePyrobri

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Doesn't work like that from my experience.
I have submitted apps to all platforms and they actually are tested on every one of them.
My latest submission was rejected for xbox, and as I don't have an xbox set up for dev at home right now I can't test/fix it so I had to resubmit without xbox ticked on the supported list.
So they must test on every device you submit an app for..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett