Finally Switched Away From Groove

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I finally dumped Groove music for Amazon music.

I had to buy the Amazon music storage because of their ridiculously low 250 song upload limit, but so far I’m happy with the Amazon Music client on Android and Windows. Even with having to pay the $24/year for storage, the annual cost works out the same for me since as a Prime member I only pay $8/month whereas Groove was $10/month. Adding in the storage, it's the same annual price.

Reasons why:

1. Searching when using the Android client didn't include my OneDrive music in the results. This was a big one.
  2. After applying a filter, the drop down doesn't close. Minor annoyance, but it does show the lack of attention to detail. It's the little things and part of a death by a 1000 cuts.
  3. Can't specify to store offline files on the SD card. Having a collection with approx. 8K songs, that's important to me.
  4. Microsoft just doesn't seem committed to consumer. They're moving to cloud based stuff with a business focus. (They've always focused on business, but it's even more apparent now.) Amazon is definitely consumer focused.
  5. The glacial pace at which the Android client was updated and almost never adding new features were too slow for me. We're not talking rocket science here and would it have killed them to make the client nice.

I will miss the Groove client on Windows; it really is a good UWP app. I love the OneDrive integration. But just too many negatives when trying to run it on Android which is where I use it a lot.

Last edited:

offroad73

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
I finally dumped Groove music for Amazon music.
[*]Microsoft just doesn't seem committed to consumer. They're moving to cloud based stuff with a business focus. (They've always focused on business, but it's even more apparent now.) Amazon is definitely consumer focused.

Considering the latest announcement, talk about foretelling...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes