What's your streaming plan now?

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Groove Music Pass subscriber here, fully invested in MS ecosystem including a 950XL. I'm a big fan of Groove and disappointed to say the least, but it is what it is. Starting to look around at options but so far, nothing appears to be a direct replacement. No OneDrive integration with Spotify and it looks like the app is garbage on Windows 10 Mobile. Similar situation with Amazon Unlimited which would be my first choice b/c they're the only other ecosystem I'm invested in. It would be nice to hear Spotify at least announce a UWP b/c the tone deaf MS statement makes it sound like they're doing us all a favor and there's a partnership with Spotify in the works. But I read the FAQ and I don't get that impression. So what's everyone doing? Any option that has what makes Groove great: an unlimited music pass with support for local/offline listening, OneDrive integration, and it works on all Windows 10 devices??

Auric Jarrel

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm switching to Spotify. The decision was a little bit easier on my end since I left W10M for an Android phone a year ago, so at least I won't be dealing with a substandard app. Leaving the OneDrive integration behind is tough, as there are certain albums (mostly mixtapes as well as Jay Z's entire catalog, for example) that aren't available available on Spotify. On the plus side, there are albums available for streaming on Spotify that I couldn't get with GMP, but it still seems like I'll need two apps now to access my entire collection which isn't ideal.

LAETH08

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
I don't think you're going to find anything close to it :\
I only Groove on my 950XL and I still use Zune on my PC for listening to my stored collection. Never really liked Groove to be honest. I only kept a subscription by using MS Rewards points just so I could get the 100gb of OneDrive storage.
I'll probably just use YouTube on my phone, through Edge, and stream music playlists to my phone.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Spotify. In the last year MS has P^^^^ me off so much. Phone, Groove, Access Web Apps... I'm done with them.
I started looking at VUDU and my Amazon Prime options. I have used Bing rewards and xbox gift cards to "charge" my MS account for the family movie nights and the occasional console game purchase.

Well... I will no longer purchase movies via my MS/Xbox account. You all know this is going next. And when it does there better be an export option or this will showcase to everyone never purchase digital content. Ever.

Hey, MS.... Id rather watch the Cleveland Browns play a game than use any of your services any more. Matter of fact... good thing those Xbox X's were out. You just killed my 2017 purchase. Take that to the bank Satya.

ReachJasonHere

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
I can't even get Spotify to launch on my phone yet after signing in. Microsoft basically informed all Windows Mobile users that we are stupid for still having one of these phones. Further, because of our stupidity, we certainly don't deserve a workable, supported music subscription app or service. "Thanks but not really for being so loyal and telling all your family and friends how great this mobile ecosystem is. Did we mention that you are idiots?" Not happy.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I canceled my Groove pass which expires tomorrow so I have access to it until tomorrow and then it will die. Already uninstalled Groove in my phone and Xbox One.

I switched to Spotify yesterday (I left WM last year so I have no concern about a mobile app). I just finished organizing my music after the move.

These are my feelings so far:

1. Holy crap Spotify is ugly when compared to Groove. Night and day, not even close. There is no cohesion and on each platform the app is entirely different. The worst app of all may be the one on Xbox One. That thing is ugly and navigation wise is a disaster. Something as simple as the icon is so much better for Groove than it is for Spotify.

2. When playing music (just like without playing) Spotify does not come close to the look of Groove with the rotating artist pictures and the nice fonts/info (yes, I know in the Zune days it was even better).

3. Library wise I am actually doing pretty well. I have found things in Spotify that I didn't find in Groove. Also adding and removing music has been a breeze. Easier than in Groove.

4. I gained access to being able to use my Yamaha receiver directly with Spotify which I could not do with Groove (technically I could do it through other means such as using my Xbox or Bluetooth but not directly).

5. Some people make fun of this... But I miss the videos. :(

6. The quality of the music in Spotify is better.

7. Gained access to being able to set a family plan which I had requested to Microsoft many times but which I knew was never going to happen because that's what they do.

8. Of course, no OneDrive integration.

So some positives, some negatives. My main thing is my disappointment about the look and cohesion of Spotify apps particularly considering how nice and uniform among platforms Groove is and how it was being improved. All in all a sad day and I know I will miss Groove. I can't see Spotify people making the apps as nice as Groove unless Microsoft themselves goes and wakes them up.

Microsoft has seriously shaken my confidence in them.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Going over to Spotify I was already thinking about getting it anyway I had it years ago so I guess I'm coming back home. I do prefer the groove app on the xbox over the Spotify app on Xbox.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
So some positives, some negatives. My main thing is my disappointment about the look and cohesion of Spotify apps particularly considering how nice and uniform among platforms Groove is and how it was being improved. All in all a sad day and I know I will miss Groove. I can't see Spotify people making the apps as nice as Groove unless Microsoft themselves goes and wakes them up.

Microsoft has seriously shaken my confidence in them.

Thanks for the details, it's helpful. Daniel's article this morning alludes to a real MS/Spotify partnership and possibly a new app with OneDrive integration. If true, then the official MS statement makes more sense.

Stephen Pedersen1

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, MS loyalists have "almost a conspiracy theory type attitude towards the surface phone that WindowsCentral harps on.
Here Windows Central says that the surface phone is coming next year. Based on what evidence? :https://www.windowscentral.com/micr...e-features-and-hardware-are-not-focus-anymore

People might use their cellphone for music more than anything, I know I certainly use the audio function more than anything and now that we don't have a single decent app for a mobile presence then they are doomed before they even set their foot back in the mobile arena. The only reason I don't have an iPhone 7 with iTunes loaded and Apple Music is because I can't shell out the $900 it will cost for everything that I need for one. The Spotify app for mobile isn't functional. Period. It's total garbage. Maybe if the new Spotify app works flawlessly on this rumored "surface phone" but it would still have to be optimized for a mobile device. I mean, we expect our mobile devices to still play music after shutting off the screen. We expect our mobile devices to be touch screen sensitive and fit on a 5inch screen.

Folks, the best option I've found for music on mobile now is Spoticast and that 3rd party Spotify app is almost as buggy as the official Spotify app. I'm sorry, but there just isn't a good music app for Windows now. It really is over.

Shiki Byakko

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
Groove was never an option for me because I, just like most of the world, wasn't in one of the few countries were the service was available.
I do not use any audio streaming service. The only thing I had used is Play Music because you can upload your own music to your account. I would like to use the OneDrive + Groove thing, but once again, I do not live in a country that supports it.

Serpentbane

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Groove Music Pass subscriber here, fully invested in MS ecosystem including a 950XL. I'm a big fan of Groove and disappointed to say the least, but it is what it is. Starting to look around at options but so far, nothing appears to be a direct replacement. No OneDrive integration with Spotify and it looks like the app is garbage on Windows 10 Mobile. Similar situation with Amazon Unlimited which would be my first choice b/c they're the only other ecosystem I'm invested in. It would be nice to hear Spotify at least announce a UWP b/c the tone deaf MS statement makes it sound like they're doing us all a favor and there's a partnership with Spotify in the works. But I read the FAQ and I don't get that impression. So what's everyone doing? Any option that has what makes Groove great: an unlimited music pass with support for local/offline listening, OneDrive integration, and it works on all Windows 10 devices??

I'm Streaming Groove, and will continue doing so even if I have to upload 20 TB of MP3 to OneDrive...

Random DS

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Deezer. Since Groove Music Pass was never available here in Hungary, it was always my go to music streaming service. It has a nice UWP app, that works just fine on all my devices, and in case I want to play around with my iPad, or my android phone (that I mostly use as a USB modem), their app is also nice on those platforms. The only major issue I have with it, is that there's almost no German music, but that's what my OneDrive music folder, and Loco Music Player are for. You all should try Deezer 😁

sporosarcina

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I've been reassessing my needs of an "ad free, premium" service in light of Groove shutting down. I loved Groove and used it extensively, but if I am honest with myself I could probably get away with a ad-supported version right now, most of my drive is podcasts either on Grover Pro or through Audible (gotta use that Amazon Prime membership). On my 950 I'll probably use the ad-supported levels of Spotify and Pandora (Pandora has better UWP support, Spotify has a deeper catalog). On my W10/Android devices I'll add Amazon Music (not W10M or UWP for that I think).

yaggs

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Google Play Music Family Plan... for $15/month you get like 5 accounts AND they all get access to YouTube Red. You can still upload your own music to Google Music also. It's worked out great for my family... been on it for almost a year now and I can't believe all that time i paid for multiple Groove/XBOX/Zune passes... Google Music is a far better deal. The only downside right now if that there is no app on Windows for it... but the website works fine and you can also install and Android emulator and use the app that way. I didn't think the YouTube Red stuff would be a big deal... but trust me... not having to watch Ads in YouTube is sooooo nice. Also no WP app obviously... but I think that is getting less and less important as more people are finally moving off of WP.

NYCMetsPDX

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Having a large collection was my determining factor in the below. Loved the OneDrive + Groove Personal Collection & Streaming integration so I went with Google Play as it fits the bill, plus Edge on my 950XL can play music from the Google Play music site in the browser. The only area lacking is a good way to skip tracks. I still buy albums from favorite artists but the streaming alongside your own albums is great if you just wanted to check something new out.

What I found with poking around all the sites after Groove gave its notice (Apologies if I got something incorrect):

None of the below work with OneDrive.

Google Music - Ability to upload 50,000 of your own songs for free, Premium = Streaming and offline dowload/local play

Amazon - Upload 250 songs free, above that $8-$10 (Depending on Prime membership). Allows you to download and stream locally.

Deezer - Upload 2,000 personal songs total (Regardless of pricing tier). Ability to stream locally

Spotify - No storage for personal collection, Premium gives you ability to download and stream locally + play non-shuffle on mobile devices

Tidal - No storage for personal collection - Premium gives you ability to download and stream locally

Last edited:

Tjalsma

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
So is it confirmed that the app itself won't allow streaming from OneDrive? I don't see how that's linked to the actual music subscription capabilities.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss